I'm back and oye yoy yoy...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Scott Sherman, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Hi friends,

I finally have settled into the magnificent Pacific Northwest. I moved to an Island on Puget Sound, Washington and man oh man have I had challenges. Within a week of moving I threw my back out very, very severely and had to go to the hospital by ambulance for the pain. My wife was out of town at the time and we just picked up a 7 week old Labrador Puppy which I was caring for myself at the time. Oh man what a week that was.

Well, I am now recovering and am even strong enough to put away some of the many boxes of stuff we had moved from California. The puppy is a serious full time commitment and has realy been more work than I ever anticipated. It's working out well however. The puppy is great and coming along very nicely.

Then my mom, who lives in Miami, Fla got sick and I had to fly out there to care for her.

I could go on, but this is not a forum for queen for a day candidates, so I will get to the point of the post.

I have not really used my camera very much lately because my back has really limited me from carrying anything heavy for any period of time. I would love to have purchased a D40x, but money is scarce for now. I have been thinking of putting the new 18-55 afs lens on my D200 to reduce the weight and it is inexpensive enought that I can probably spring for it. I think there is one for sale in the forum now.

Has anyone here had any experience with this lens on the D200 or can you suggest another lens which will give me a bit of range, preferably from the wide side, to keep it light and versatile and still have a bit of range. I have an 18-200, but the combo is still a bit heavy for me and I find I just don't want to carry it because it stresses my back after awhile.

I am sure in a few months, I will be back to normal physically, but I miss taking my camera out especially with my new puppy. I just want to take some fun shots when we go for walks etc.

By the way, The PNW is amazing and a great place to live although, i think I am soupposed to keep it a secret because of all the migration here.

Scott

2. You've let the cat out of the bag now, gonna' be full of photographers before you know it. Y'all got any dead people there? Must be some beautiful bury patches for me to work in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2007
  3. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    Scott, Your surroundings sound beautiful.
    As for the lens question, I am currently using a Nikon 18-135mm. It is sometimes a kit lens with the D80. I really like it. Nice range, very sharp and very light weight. The 18-70 is also a nice lens, but I wanted that extra reach, so the 135 is just right.
    I have a 24-120 VR which I like too, but it's heavier than the 18-135mm.

As for the puppy, have patience with him/her - the unconditional love it will show in time is amazing and very precious, but I'm sure you knew that.

Lisa

4. I considered the 18-135, but I think it is too close to the 18-200 I already have and it is double the weight of the 18-55.

Does the 18-55 focus quickly and accurately on the D200 and does it reduce the weight enough to justify the purchase?

Bill, not to quibble over semantics, but to be accurate, I actually let the puppy out of the bag. Lisa I do live in wonderful surroundings and I am even able to get out a bit now to enjoy them. I live next to a wonderful forested area, ironically called the "Grand Forest". Charlie, my puppy, loves it as much as I do.

5. Hi Scott,

Sorry to hear about your back. I have battles with herniated discs myself and occasionally experience near total incapacity.

The Nikon AFS 24-85 is very small and light, one plus to its rather plasticky construction. But it is very sharp. It has some distortion issues at 24mm such that it shouldn't be used for architecture-type shots. It will give you a bit more reach than the 18-55. As for the 18-55, I believe the newer II version is supposed to be the better one to get.

Hope you're fully recovered soon.

6. Thanks Glenn and thanks for the suggestion.

I looked at B&H and they don't even show an 18-55 on their website. I heard the II would be the one to get. Anyone selling a II new or like new version?

7. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    The 18-55 is a great lens for its size and weight, only slightly less sharp than the 18-70DX and 18-135DX kits and quite a bit sharper than your 18-200. I'd personally have it over the 24-xxx as I prefer wider lenses to longer ones.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Glad your here and hope all will be well soon.

9. Scott, sorry about your back but glad to hear from you again.

10. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
  11. Thanks for the info Steve. Phil and Gale, thanks for the welcome it is appreciated. I'm glad to see the regulars are still at it. Gale, wow 28,816 posts, you are an inspiration to us all.

12. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Scott, welcome back. Bet that 200-400 VR is impossible with your back. My back is fused with steel rods so I know all about back problems. Take care and great to have you here again. I use the D40 with the 45P to protect my back when it's ailing.

13. Hi Gaye,
    Great to hear from you again. Thanks for the welcome. I look at the 200-400 and long for the days that I could hand hold that big boy. It will be awhile before I am back to that, but it should be no time at all before I am dead lifting my 200-400 like it is a 18-200, (well maybe when I find the fountain of youth).

Anyway, it is good to have goals and that is one for sure. I love that lens.

Best regards

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey Scott! Welcome back, and do get well soon, ok?!

Oh, I don't know anything about that lens.

15. Chris,
    Thanks old friend. I think at this point I may just hang out until the back is back and hang with the 18-200. It is a great all in one lens and in the end, I would probably just shelve the 18-55 since it is limited, but it does sound attractive for it's mobility and weight even with the D200.

I would not be surprised if over time the D40x, (in it's future incarnation) will have or surpass all the functionality of today's D200 at the same compact size and weight. It sort of seems that Nikon is interested in making camera's smaller more than making larger camera's with larger sensors.

This could change I suppose with a new incarnation of the D3x/h.

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yeah, I seem to have gravitated to a somewhat smaller camera lately myself Scott. I have found that a limited focal length range is more liberating because it presents less decisions to be made. When I shoot, I wonder "What focal length should I use?" Nowadays I answer "Try the 35mm" every time.

17. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Scott,

Sorry to hear about your back! Glad you are getting settled after your move. That puppy sounds like a corker! Nice to hear from you again,

John

18. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    Scott,
    You might want to look at the Tamron 17-50/2.8.

19. Hi Scott and welcome the the Great PNW. You'll get the WA secret handshake in a few months :tongue:. Yes, you must swear off no mention of how nice it is here :wink:

A shout out from over here in Bellevue. Ping me if you ever want to get out. Sorry to hear about the back.

20. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Man...my back hurts just reading this thread...steel rods, fused disks, herniated stuff....gah...

Hope all heals well Scott...welcome back.