I'm back! (sort of...)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frits, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Well, first off I've never been gone, really :tongue: - let me explain:
    Since well over a year now I have seriously been toying with the idea to switch over to medium format.
    At first I have been shooting with a Hasselblad 500 C/M with a modest digital back. I liked it so much that late last year I bit the bullet and got a Hasselblad H1 with a Phase One P25+ back.
    Do I like it? Do chicken have teeth?? - I LOVE it!!

I decided to give myself a bit of time and then keep either my medium format gear or my Nikon gear - not both (I do have an Olympus E-PL1 Micro 4/3 for light walkabout).

Well, today is decision time. With a good size lump in my stomach I will let my Hasselblad gear go, as much as I totally love it. Just a matter of not keeping both (although my dear wife keeps encouraging me to). Just too much $$ tied up.

So, Nikon it is!!

One consolation: With this decision behind me, I drove downtown to get me a nice D3x to replace my trusty D700 :biggrin: (hey, I need some consolation here, OK!?? :smile:).
    The battery is in the charger and I look forward to shoot Easter weekend family stuff with it.

The downside: Well, y'all will have to tolerate me around here a bit longer, as I won't be going away anymore :biggrin::biggrin::eek:.

Keep your eyes on the FS forum folks, I'll be there when I have some time on my hands :smile::smile:.

2. Nice to have you back! Wouldn't be the NikonCafe without you ;o)

3. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    Well, Frits, I don't know what shooting with a medium format camera would be like but a D3x is some mighty fine consolation. :wink:

4. A much more versatile option than the Hassy. Nothing can approach the shooting experience with a medium-format camera, though. I love the huge, bright viewfinders, waist-level or prism.

I wouldn't think of owning an MF system without also having a serious 35-sized system for general use, though.

5. I didn't know chicken have teeth! LOL!

OK, aside from that....well, it seems to me that much depends upon what one is going to do with the gear and if the same sort of images can be shot with either a Hassy/digital back and a Nikon current-generation whatever, it seems to me that the most practical solution is to go with the more versatile and somewhat less expensive setup, which in this case would be the Nikon. If one is working in a studio as a professional portrait photographer or professional product photographer, well, that's different. In this case, I don't think you're into either of those pursuits to put food on the table, right, Frits? You can buy a heckuva lot of bodies and lenses in Nikon gear for what you'd pay for the Hassy/Hassy back and a few lenses.

Glad to have you back home with us, Frits!

6. I loved your 'blad stuff. Will miss 'em!

7. NO, you can't do that. I was waiting for your Nikon gear to go on sale at a ridiculously cheap price...

You know you really really want to shoot medium format. Sell the Nikon gear quick !!! Better yet, let me go to your place right away - it's only an hour drive you know - and I'll bring it here while you get used to the idea. Then, later, if you remember it's "preserving" it, you can sell it (if I don't use it)...

Think about it. I'm doing this for you my dear friend !!!

8. Hey Frits -

Well . . .

I'd have to say, good for us! :biggrin:

9. kixsand

kixsand

Nov 13, 2009
    Toronto
    Nice to have you back even though you were never really gone and I too did not know that chicken had teeth! -- that one made me laugh!

10. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Frits, like Lance said, "It's Not About The Bike"! Glad to have you back & congrats on the D3X!:smile:

11. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Good to have you back and I really look forward to seeing images with the D3x.

Gregory

12. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I for one am sorry to hear that, Frits. You will be too after some time, I think.

13. Glad you're back, Frits...
    Now, I would like to see some great D3X "stuff"!

14. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Glad you're staying but the D3x makes me green with envy.

15. Thanks all for your comments :smile:.
    I hope not Charles. I took a good while to make a final decision and I am comfortable with it. Seriously, I know it is best at the end of the day.
    But oohhh, those beautiful MF image files......:Love:

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    See what I mean.:frown:

17. Sorry to hear that things didn't work out but glad to hear you're sticking around with new Nikon gear. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.