I'm COMPLETELY RUINED - picked up a 17-55DX (lots of pics)

I made the mistake of trying out a 17-55DX at the local pro shop the other weekend. I've been shooting my daughter with my 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.8 (and 1.4) primes, but at almost 11 months she's a ton more mobile now, almost ready to walk, and the primes just can't/won't keep up with her. I have the Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 which gives me the flexibility that I need, but at $250 used it just doesn't deliver in the IQ department, and I didn't really expect it to. Just wanted to try a fast zoom out. Anyways, on my D80 goes the 17-55DX in the shop. Took a couple snaps of my daughter and it was immediately apparent right on the image review of just how insanely good a $1200 pro f/2.8 zoom lens was going to be. The rich color, contrast, and incredible sharpness just blew me away. It was over. I caved and bought it, although I was thinking about this for a good 2 weeks already. :biggrin:

Believe it or not, I like shooting with the 17-55 on my D40 more than the D80 so that's what I've been shooting with. The IQ is phenomenal. The rich color, contrast, the sharpness, oh baby! I use DxO for almost all of my PP work. You can tell how good a lens is by seeing how much sharpening is added or how much distortion is corrected via their fully characterized and calibrated body/lens combo modules. Unfortunately there's no D40/17-55DX module, but there is a D70/17-55DX module which is probably about the same, so I hacked some of my D40 /17-55 JPEGs to read as D70 and took it for a spin in DxO. Yes, there's some distortion that it corrects. But as far as sharpening, it basically doesn't touch it at all. Wow! The only other lens I've had that was that good was the 50mm f/1.8 that I had. Basically no sharpening was added, but no distortion either. My cheapy 18-135 zoom that I've been using a lot lately is great for what it is, but not even close to this thing. Wowzers.

Anyhow, here's some photos from the first outing this weekend. :smile: These are all straight off the D40 with no PP or sharpening added, just downsized for the web in iView Pro.

Out for pancakes:

DSC_2642-vi.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_2658-vi.jpg

DSC_2664-vi.jpg

DSC_2668-vi.jpg

DSC_2677-vi.jpg

DSC_2687-vi.jpg

At the grocery store later:

DSC_2698-vi.jpg

getting sleepy...
DSC_2701-vi.jpg

tug-o-war with daddy :)
DSC_2708-vi.jpg

Late afternoon coffee:

watery eyes due to a bit of congestion
DSC_2727-vi.jpg

where's my coffee?
DSC_2729-vi.jpg

mommy will give me some =)
DSC_2741-vi.jpg

mmmm.... that's gooood
DSC_2744-vi.jpg

more!
DSC_2745-vi.jpg

ok not THAT much more, silly mommy!
DSC_2747-vi.jpg

looking out the window
DSC_2751-vi.jpg

At home later:

DSC_2753-vi.jpg

Instant classic! Just need to PP the slight "nose issue" here. :redface: :biggrin:
DSC_2759-vi.jpg

Anyways, like the thread title suggests, I'm now COMPLETELY RUINED lol!

Yeah some of these could use some PP work (minor exposure/lighting adjustments) but how good they look straight off the camera, especially the full sized originals on my 24" iMac screen, just knocks my socks off. It's as good as my 50mm 1.8 was only it's a ZOOM and far more flexible which is exactly what I was looking for. I know I'm gonna love this lens. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nuteshack

wonderful photos, Steve ....it's a conspiracy, pal ...it all starts with that too cheap, too good 50 1.8...lol
;-)))

Great photos Steve and cute daughter. I'm just starting to love mineafter using it more. I'm glad I didn't sell it. Enjoy! It does start with that 50mm 1.8 doesn't it?

steve
awesome series
i'm glad you've discovered (and sort of sad and scared for your bank account, i guess :redface::rolleyes::tongue:) the pleasure of shooting with quality glass

well done

Congrats Steve, it looks like a terrific lens......hmm. Yeah my 9.5 month old girl is very mobile too so I know where you're coming from. Your girl is such a cutie!
I, for now, stick with my primes and 18-70. The D300 wasn't exactly nice to my account.

Thanks everybody! :smile:

Yeah it does start with the nifty fifty. :eek: I fear for my bank account too, but I'm probably going to be selling off a bunch of extra stuff that'll end up financing most of this lens. My wife told me, ya know you don't have to sell them, :Love: but I just don't like having things sitting around that I know are never really going to get used, and that still have value. OK, so if I don't have to sell some of my stuff to finance this lens, then I'll just sell them anyways to finance the next one. :biggrin:

Congrats Steve, it looks like a terrific lens......hmm. Yeah my 9.5 month old girl is very mobile too so I know where you're coming from. Your girl is such a cutie!
I, for now, stick with my primes and 18-70. The D300 wasn't exactly nice to my account.
Thanks Linda!

You know I was thinking that instead of the 17-55 I could sell my D80 and use the money from the 17-55 and get a D300. The extra stop or whatever it is of high ISO performance would certainly come in handy chasing my daughter around. Plus all of the little extras on the D300 (and 200) make things a lot easier when you're really trying to shoot seriously. The shooting banks, the AF mode switch, the extra data in the finder, the better metering, etc. When I'm really trying to be serious my D80 isn't quite as serious as I need and ends up getting in my way, and for the majority of my other shooting I'm finding that my D40 is just fine.

Anyways, I went with the nice glass. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :smile:

Steve, I am doing the same thing! I love the 17-55 on my D40x! It makes the rig about half as light as with the D200, the handling with the D40 is much better. D40's are so light and cheap you could get one for all your lenses! Talk about convienence!
I know! For awhile I just didn't quite know what to do with the D40 and thought of selling it a few times. But now I'm thinking the exact opposite. I've never really needed two bodies. Well I thought I did, but my reasoning and rationale didn't exactly pan out, on multiple fronts. :redface:

Great Steve's think alike. :cool:

Congratulations! Looks like you will enjoy this for years to come!
Oh yes indeedy, Dave. I use this range all the time, wanted top quality, and am very pleased so far.

One thing I've notice here ir it's the hobby shooters who seem to have unlimited amounts of cash to buy and sell lenses and bodies (mostly buy!) - I'm in the wrong job! :biggrin:
LOL, certainly not unlimited here Andrew. Although yes, the amount of money being tossed around here in general blows the mind at times. :Swirl:

I just ran a tally, and if I were to sell all of the stuff that I have just sitting around that I'm never going to use enough to justify keeping, I could finance another really nice pro lens, or just put it back in my pocket. I'm really more of a minimalist and don't really "need" all of the stuff in my sig, although I don't mine splurging on something really nice if I know I'm going to use the heck out of it. I plan to with the 17-55. As for all of my other stuff, just need to get some time to take some photos, and then find them all new homes. :wink:

Quick run to the park right at 5pm yesterday since it was nice out and before it got dark. These are also straight off the camera and definitely need some PP work (lighting/contrast). Needed to stop down a bit more on the 2nd one, but really just an example of having fun with a new toy, and learning how to drive my D40 at the same time. :smile:

DSC_2802-vi.jpg

DSC_2788-vi.jpg

Ohio...wishing on a beach with mountain vistas
Now get the Mrs to buy the D300 for Xmas for you...once she sees the high quality from this lens, she'll beg to buy you the new body, if you explain that's what it'll take to improve even more!! but yes, might as well sell the "extra" gear to help her with the funding...lol

Haven't taken off the 17-55 since I bought it. Well maybe once when I was shooting sports with my 85. It is a great lens I don't think I will ever part with. ENJOY!!!Pssssst, love your gorgeous model too!!!! As they say, she'll go places with looks like that!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom