I'm depressed (sort of)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flew, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Man the traffic on the Cafe has been booming lately!! I don't know what is causing this increase although I suspect that it has something to do with the end of the summer, and certainly with the recent bump up in membership.

The thing that depresses me is that I can no longer keep up with all the posts. Every forum has a ton of great new posts almost every day. If I stop by any forum, I end up getting sucked into one or two or three really interesting threads, and then realize that 30 minutes have passed.

When the Cafe was first opened for business, I made a point of viewing (and usually responding to) every post. I guess that it is an indication that we have moved to the next level when I can't even view them all.

So, it depresses me that I can no longer check on, much less respond to, every thread on every forum. It does make me feel proud that we have developed into a community where a response from a moderator or admin is not needed (or even missed :rolleyes:) in order to keep the exchanges moving along.

I'm especially pleased with how well each and every new member post is responded to by 5, 6, 7, 8, or more of you. let's keep it going folks. :smile:

Viva la Cafe!! :tongue:

2. It is getting harder to read all the threads but, I am trying. I have enjoyed my stay here and try to post on at least a couple or more threads per day. And sometimes I may even post some meaningful content! :smile:

3. Cheer up buddy, its all good. I know how you feel, and agree, i love to see and respond to as many as i can, but sometimes cannot. no biggie.
    Dave

4. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    You are a better man then me, I gave up a long time ago. Not enough hours in the day.

5. Frank, I agree whole heartedly; you come back after 6 hours (well, okay, four hours) and there are almost 100 new posts! Holy cow, how can you keep up?

The two things which define this site is the friendly, polite atmosphere and the plethora of images posted. I think this is fantastic. Even without much critiqueing it's great seeing what others think are noteworthy images. I've seen many images which incorporate things (composition, etc.) which I had never considered.

I wouldn't change a thing to alter the above two traits!.

Rich

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the support guys. The main thing is that I feel like I'm missing so much by not getting to every thread, and I know that I miss the interchanges with each of our great members, new and old. Like I said before, I guess that it is just a sign that we are maturing. :wink:

8. You know, Frank, I believe that if you go and search you will find much the same sentiment from me, but about 6 or 8 months ago :smile: :smile:

Back in the "olden days" when there were only a few dozen of us, keeping up was not too bad, but now I really have to pick and choose, and I know that I am missing some fantistic bits here because of this.

Of course if we could convince the "management" to get off thier bums and provide us with some universal-AI process that would find, read, digest and implant all of the stuff we need to know for each of us individually as well as helping to craft cogent and witty responses, then this place would be really worthwhile. Oh, yeah, may as well have that AI module turn us all into Helmut Newton's and Art Wolf's while it is at it, may as well dream big :wink: .

So, until you guys can pay more attention to details such as this, I guess I'll just have to put up with this crummy old place. Heck you even let Creepy Joe Marquez show up now and again. Crummy people, lousy pictures, no good arguments, sheesh, now you've got me REALLY depressed......

And now I think I'll run and hide before the rocks start to fall :biggrin: :biggrin:

9. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    I gave up

and decided to restrict myself to General, D2X, Technical, Lens Lust and For Sale. At the times I have lots of time, I scan some of the others. Would love to read every one but simply cannot afford the time - and I'm retired.

10. As one who used to post to almost every thread I too have had to cut back. There is just not enough hours in the day to catch them all. Congratulations to this fine community and for all the excellent comments and images that you post. You gotta love the Cafe.

11. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

It's nice to have so much activity that we can't look at or post to all of them! :biggrin:

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Birds/Animals section stays busy,

but the People section not so busy. I say just go to the sections that hold your own personal interests, and let the rest take care of itself.
    The Macro/Flowers section even gets more play than the People section. Now, don't get me wrong, I do love the challenge of shooting birdies, but I also love shooting people, and really wish it would get more busy, esp with portraiture of all kinds and studio work. Guess that's why the FM People section is such a good place to visit, although it suffers from the exact opposite problem we have here. It's a very busy free for all madhouse over there, and your post could go unreplied to, even after 100's of views. What is a fella to do? :confused:
    One last thought & request. If there ws a way to put a "My Threads" link on the front page somewhere, that would be great! :biggrin:

13. The baby now walks alone. What more could you hope for? :wink:

14. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Yes over 1300 members and still a few months until the Café has it's first birthday.

I feel bad when I read a post from someone that has 100+ post under there belt, and I still don't know who they are.

15. Frank...I think that most of us are having a hard time keeping up with the threads and posts. I try to say helllo to the new members but even that forum is busy with new members which is great for the foum. So don't feel so depressed Frank, I think that many of us are in the same boat.

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    One of the positives of the Cafe becoming so busy, and there are plenty of positives, is that the exchange of post-processing techniques and sharing of ideas has increased tremendously. Post-processing is one of the facits of digital photography that places it head and shoulders above film photography. I see people getting the most out of their photography because there are so few limitations to what is possible...just a few clicks and another masterpiece is achieved.

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the responses folks. I have to admit that several of them brought a smile to my face. It is nice to know that I'm not the only one the feels this way. I feel better. :wink:

18. Don't sweat it, Frank.

Too many posts, not enough time.

Just make sure you always reply to my threads and everything'll be just fine.

OK?

:wink:

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    LOL Clive. Just the medicine that I needed. :tongue:

20. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Frank,

Chin up bud! Yes it is overwhelming, but it is because it is so nice here and we aren't all about the Gear. (measurebators) We can talk about the photos, the processing, different software, ALL WITHOUT HEATED ARGUMENTS! Yes! Here it is OK to have a preference for one method and technique or software, so what if someone thinks they prefer JPG to RAW for some reasons, they can state why, explain why and not be harassed about their reasons.

Who cares if we process in Nikon capture, CS2 CS or even PS 7, or paintshop pro. We are all Nikon shooters who respect each other.

As an educator I try to teach tolerance, tolerance for other views, opinions, methods, and choices. There isn't always the right way and the wrong, but many times just a different way.

You, Patrick and others are to be commended! :) Bravo

Wade