I'm doing it again....ugh

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by yahtzee, Apr 30, 2007.

1. I had a 70-200vr for a year or so and hardly ever used it....I sold it but missed the "potential" that it had so i bought it back on 3/15/07. I have used it one time for about 5 shots since that date and am not sure why I own this lense. I believe that I am caught up in the fact that it is such an awesome piece of glass yet that is irrelevant if i dont use it.

I love the 17-55 as my #1 lense and adore my 85 1.4 for pics of my girls.

Anyone know B&H's return policy?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I would call them.. It has been way over 30 days

3. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    The B&H website says that photographic equipment can be returned within 14 days of purchase. They have some of the standard terms like, original box, new condition, etc. As suggested above, you could call them and ask, but this is from their return policy statement on their website. Good luck.

4. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    From their site:

5. Just get out and use it. A great lens!

6. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    If I may suggest something ... use the 70-200 on your daughters .. but do so at 200mm. It will add a level of focal compression that your 85 can't give you and it may be a look you enjoy. Personally, I love focal compression and would love a 300mm 2.8 to get even more of it.

Here are some portraits at or close to 200mm:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is only at 135mm ... but you can already see the compression coming into play:
    [​IMG]

Overall, the "look" this gives you is one of candidness ... as though your spying on someone from a distance and for kids, in my opinion, it just works.

7. Just talked to B&H and they will take it back with a 15% restocking fee. Still probably better than trying to sell it outright.

8. lovep1

lovep1 Guest

Yeah, I would send it back if you are not using it. That's quite an expensive paper weight on the desk! Seriously though, I find myself using the 85 f1.4 and 200 f2 VR wayyy more than my 70-200 VR lens. I am holding onto the zoom for those instances when I won't be able to predict or dictate the subjects movements--sports etc. Although, if Nikon ever puts AFS on the 85 f1.4, the zoom will be on ebay asap!

Pat

9. RexRoy

RexRoy

Jan 4, 2006
    New York
    Between sending it back to B&H and selling it outright, it'll probably cost you the same.

10. I will risk to say that I never understood why almost all cafe members love this lens so much. (OK, I understand pros, but what about amateurs?). Superb glass, I agree, but how exactly you carry all this thing? I tried it once for 5 minutes and I am still tired!
    :112:
    My heaviest lens is the 17-55mm and I avoid carrying it, unless it is absolutely necessary.

11. Have you tried the gym lately, that works as well as a 70-200:biggrin:

12. Factor in your time while conducting a sale and the restock fee is the way to go.

13. He-he...
    In fact I hate gyms, I find it silly to run on a treadmill.
    But I am fit because I do lots of hiking and mountain biking :biggrin:
    I still can't carry the big Nikon guns with me though...
    Maybe it's time for a D40x ? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2007
  14. What if you decide to buy a different lens from B&H instead? Maybe they would absorb the restocking fee then?
    Which lens is next in your LLL (LensLustList)?

15. cadman

cadman

Dec 4, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    Heavy?

The 17-55 is my lightweight now. It just feels normal. I shoot the 70-200 for hours handheld, on the mono, and on the tri. It doesn't bother me and for the IQ --- man there is no better all round nature/event lens.

muscle up man. it would help your mountain biking to get some umph in those guns.