I'm frustrated with my DK-17m

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Hi all,

I would really appreciate some feedback and personal experience here. I have the DK-17m and rubber eyecup on my D2x and really love it... BUT...

I rather prefer to place my eye up against the rubber cup to look through the viewfinder without glasses to appraise and compose the scene in front of the lens. I think most agree that the experience is better with the DK-17m than without it.

Here is my delema. I wear glasses to see distant objects. The diopter correction of the DK-17m falls just short of my prescription. It is very close and I can see quite well for general purposes through the DK-17m but fine tuning is not entirely reliable in a critical focus situation.

On the plus side, I almost always use and depend on auto focus which seems to be okay. I can compose the scene great with the DK-17m in place without wearing glasses, it is just fine focusing that is the challenge and then only with manual focusing which is rare. Probably the only time I use manual focus is for macro. It is just a bit frustrating to look through the viewfinder and not see a perfectly crisp image like I do without the DK-17m.

On the other hand, now that I have used the DK-17m I am spoiled. I like the magnified viewfinder image. If it were really far off from my prescription this would be a no brainer, I would loose it and be happy with the normal diopter viewfinder but it is pretty darn close.

I can use the DK diopter -3 correction replacement without the DK-17m which equals my prescription to make my vision 20-20 when looking through the viewfinder without glasses. However this is the same as the standard viewfinder magnification that ships with the D2x.

I'm guessing I am not alone in this delema. I'm wondering what others in this situation are doing. Do you continue to use the DK-17m with less than perfect vision or have you taken it off and gone back to the normal magnification with the lens correction diopter replacement?

I guess i am just looking for moral support. I have taken it off and replaced it over and over until I am dizzy from the comparisons. Perfect clear crisp vision without magnification or bigger brighter magnified viewfinder image with some slight fuzzyness. I have decided not to wear contact lenses. Tried them didn't like them. My inclination is to take off the DK-17m. ideally, there would be a greater correction available with the DK-17m but until then... What to do?

I know this seems a pretty small problem but I am looking for someone with a similar problem. They will appreciate my frustration.

2. Pardon my pun, but this opens my eyes. I need glasses for distance and I manualy focau alot, without the aid of my glasses. Perhaps this explains an inordinate amount of OOF shots (DUH). My response is this, however, I adjust the diopter on the camera so that the numbers and indicaters inside the viewfinder are crisp. Does this affect corrections for nearsightedness? My prescription is only -1.25. Sorry that I can not help with your frustration and have turned it around to ask that you do the same for me. I have not used the DK-17 and perhaps it would be nice, just never really felt the need for it.
    Dave

3. I had not thought of this before oddly enough but I have been playing around with the whole viewfinder thing and noticed that I am actually left eyed.

I was just giving a final look through the viewfinder before disassembling it and noticed that my vision in my right eye is somewhat better than my left eye. However, looking back, I seem to be left eyed, meaning I always put my left eye to the viewfinder. I think this is just out of habit. I am going to try to change to right eye dominant to see if that helps salvage the magnifier, but it is an unnatural feeling which will take some getting used to. Are you right or left eyed. Or do you switch, (ambi-eyed?) That is do you look through your right eye or your left eye into the viewfinder. this is getting into some pretty weird stuff I guess, but what the hey we're all friends here right?

4. My problem with the thing is that I wear glasses and actually scoot my glasses down my nose just far enough to get my eye up against it (no eyecup) and the dang thing grabs my glasses and pulls them off my face.

Modern technology meets old fogie.

Woody :Glasses:

5. I have officially decided, DK17m is no longer on my D2x. too bad, it really is a good idea although, having to use the o-rings was a bit weak. Nikon seems to have not put a lot of thought into this otherwise good little gadget.

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Scott,
    I assume you posted this thread after you searched for a diopter-corrected eyepiece for the DK-17M? I don't have the D2X, only the D70, but I went through a similar ordeal to get everything working so I can remove my glasses. I do have a "non-standard" eyepiece adapter/eyepiece combination for the D70. After buying the regular eyepiece I found out that there are diopter-eyepieces which together with the camera diopter adjustment cover the range I need (-2.4).

Perhaps a letter to Nikon with a request for a diopter MK-17M may help you get an answer if there is something in the making, or maybe already available.

I fully understand your frustration - if I can critizise something on my camera, it's the small viewfinder and the resulting difficulty to manually focus the subject. Your viewfinder maybe much bigger, but a missing diopter eyepiece makes it pretty hard to do the job. Let's hope Nikon brings an answer to this soon, as I guess we are not the only people wearing glasses.

7. >>.......the dang thing grabs my glasses and pulls them off my face.
    >>Modern technology meets old fogie.

Well, Scott has brought up a dilemma that so very many of us share -- we need vision correction.
    And, nope, Woody -- you're not an old fogie !!

I think what we have here is a clash between Inadequate Design vs. The Photographer's Need to See !!

The Nikon viewfinder design is a bit of a relic of the past, IMHO. You would think that in this_day_and_age, as they say, that we could have a redesigned viewfinder that is (1) large and bright enough to be usable without extra attachments, (2) adjustable to accomodate a wide range of diopter needs, and (3) ERGONOMIC so as to be usable without poking one's eye or yanking one's glasses off. We KNOW this can be done engineering-wise, but I think that the camera engineers must have just been too busy working on getting digital technology off the ground?

BTW, gentlemen, be thankful you don't have to deal with the Long-eyelash Mascara Effect. :biggrin:

Helpful Hint for DK-17M (maybe?) Try removing that rubber ring. I did that, and it cut down on the reading glasses being yanked off. I never liked the rubber eye cup because it collapses so easily, so that's off too.

I'm thinking of looking into 3rd party viewfinder attachments. Has anyone done that?

<she finishes in an ironic tone> I sometimes wonder why I am doing photography at all given that it involves SEEING since I have to have contact lenses for nearsightness and reading glasses on top of those for seeing up close. I need the danged reading glasses for the menu, but I don't need them for the viewfinder -- however they are always perched on my nose to get tangled up with everything. :frown: Well, whaddaya gonna do ???

8. Anne
    you seem to have more appendage problems than enuf :Shocked: :eek: :eek:

9. no kiddin' !! LOL !!! and yet I struggle along......

10. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Hey, you with the glasses!

I share your frustrations - I have had exactly the same problem.

I say *had* because I now use the DR-5 right angle finder which has the necessary dioptre correction. I use this almost all the time on the D2x now because - although it makes the camera behave more like a medium format - it gives me extra stability handholding it. And it has the option of 2x magnification which is very useful in HSC mode to help frame the shot.

And when I really need to use a normal finder - sports etc - I go back to the DK-17M and wear contact lenses.

Not ideal, and the DR-5 ain't cheap either!

11. consider skipping that next equipment purchase ...

and getting LASIK eye correction.
    I did this a couple of years ago and am very happy.
    While I still can't see as well as I did when I was younger, I'm pretty close.

If not that, why not contacts? Before the LASIK I wore contacts any time I could instead of glasses.

If only I could see the LCD clearly w/o my readers...

Don

12. RForshey

RForshey Guest

I just finished a week long shoot and was able to finally put the DK-17Ms to full use. I found out very quickly, that is works well with wide to moderate telephotos, but, for me, distorts badly on telephotos. I tried it with a 70-200VR, 200-400VR, 70-180 Micro, 200 F2 VR, and an 80-400VR. In all cases, it would be clear towards the center and distorted out near the edges. Completely unacceptable for my needs. I ended up leaving it on one of my D2xs and dedicating that body to wide angles, and removing it from my other one and using that body for telephotos (and the zooms). I did try both of them, and had the same problem with each.

13. I have perfect vision! My gripe with the DK-17m is that my rubber eyepiece keeps falling off. I just stopped bother with it and took it off!

14. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    I got fed up with glasses/diopter interference, and raindrops, humidity etc etc.
    The solution for me is what the optician calls 'Mono Vision'. I wear a reading contact lens in my left eye, and adjust the diopter for that, and the right eye has a distance correction lens. So, I can see the targe clearly, read all the gizmo adjustments, see the diopter and the settings/meter, and I don't have to worry about dropping my glasses. I've been using these lenses for about 6 months now, happy bunny!

The mind compensates (note I didn't say brain, can't let anybody accuse me of intelligence) for the disimilar lenses. I only notice a slight disparity for a minute or so when I fit them, which is only when I use the camera. I know this sounds wacky, it still does to me, but it works.

There is a proviso, if you are suffering from vestibular dysfunction, epilepsy etc don't try it. I do have a balace problem but have taught myself how to cope and I get by.
    Most opticians will let you try the lenses, as there is a future customer.