I'm getting published!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ponygurl, Sep 16, 2005.

1. ponygurl

ponygurl

Jan 25, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Okay, coming out of lurkdom from the crazy past months to share some joyous news with fellow photographers who can understand my silly glee! Frank's already heard the news since his office is around the corner from mine...but...

backstory...
    I am a HUGE fan of Keith Urban. Country music guitar god from Australia. Up for 4 CMA awards this fall including entertainer of the year. Have been going to his concerts for the last 2 years and he's kind of how/why I really started getting into photography again as he's very fan photo friendly. His fanclub chooses photos of the months and I've had several chosen before. BUT the *big* goal is a calendar that's put together by one of the main fan sites. All the money goes to St Judes and they take fan photos for the calendar so there's usually at least 24 photos chosen plus whatever else they need... Last year I submitted some but wasn't chosen. However, with a full year of concerts under my belt this year with the D70 & Coolpix 8800, I was hopeful...

And today I got the email...
    YOUR PHOTO HAS BEEN CHOSEN! :Shocked: :Happy: :eek: :biggrin:
    Yeah, I'm a little excited. The calendar isn't sold in stores but will be linked to the fans site for purchase from Keith's official website. He is also involved in chosing the photos as well so this is a HUGE honor for me...

The photo chosen is one from one of three back to back shows I went to in March in Nashville at the Ryman. Oddly, this night with my Coolpix 8800 in tow on my 3rd row seat I got told by security halfway through the show to stop taking photos. Yeah. Didn't matter. I had still gotten some good shots!

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Way to go Ann!! I can only imagine how exciting this must be. Heck, I get excited when someone responds to one of my pic posts here. :rolleyes:

3. ponygurl

ponygurl

Jan 25, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Thanks Frank! I'm really excited... now I can't wait to see the calendar! There are a LOT of good photographers in the bunch so it's usually awesome.

Ann

4. Very well done - that's a fab achievement - and a worthy image indeed!
    Peter

5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    THATS GREAT!

Having met Keith several years ago while I was working for Clear Channel I know he is a nice person.

I'm very happy to see that your photo was chosen and it is a good one. Be sure to post info on where to get the calendars too.

Congratulations Ann!

6. ponygurl

ponygurl

Jan 25, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Thanks Peter and Patrick! I got to meet him not long after I joined his fanclub back when they were still doing meet and greets. He really IS a sweet guy. And my hubby is even into his music - being a huge AC/DC and Godsmack guy, he loves the rock part that Keith brings to his shows.

And yeah, I'll post a link when they put the calendars onsale. It's usually late November I think and then they ship sometime in December I think. I'll be buying copies for all my friends and family this year. :tongue:

7. That is great to be published, especially since the subject is someone you really like.

Congratulations :Exclamati :Exclamati :Exclamati

8. What a nice recognition for you and your photography. It is always a pleasure to see your work in print. Congratulations.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Congratulations Ann...what a great achievement. It isn't everyday that someone gets their image chosen to be published. We are fortunate to have several members on the Cafe that have seen their images in the "bright lights" and we are just as excited for you.

10. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Ann, congratulations on the selection. That's a great looking photo!

You're right about Kieth Urban: a very stand up guy. I met him when I was shooting him at a concert in New York. Of course his media relations guy wasn't quite as nice, especially since I was actually covering the event for the venue that was paying for his appearance... Oh well, it happens.

Again, congratulations!

11. Woohooo, good going gurl!!! You must feel so proud. This is a great image and don't forget to frame it up. Mouth shape, perfect, hand and finger placement perfect. You did a great job in capturing this performer in the moment.

12. Congratulations Ann!

That's certainly a great shot and I'm not surprised it was chosen. I know how difficult it is to get decent shots like that, and I'm envious of your ability!

It's fantastic to see talent like yours recognized -- celebrate!

13. That is really good news and well done. The photo. is a cracker and you have done extremely well in a very difficullt environment.

BW. Bob F.

14. ponygurl

ponygurl

Jan 25, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Thanks everyone! I'm still really excited. And yes, it's even sweeter cause it was a personal challenge for me after seeing the results of my pictures from the first time I saw him here at Big Spring Jam in 2003 to get some REALLY good shots and having a photo chosen for HIS calendar by HIM means I think I hit that goal! :D

Mike - yeah, Keith's 'people' are not fond of photographers. Last year they set a new rule that no SLRs are allowed at the concerts anymore but I have had the worst trouble with them and my coolpix. Of the 7 concerts I've shot with it, 5 of those have included a little chat with security - the one the shot is from I was actually told by security that Keith's manager wanted me to stop shooting. I was lucky though - security told several people that night to put their cameras away however I was able to just let mine hang around my neck. I managed to get a couple shots of Kenny Chesney when he came out to sing with Keith. Then at the end of the concert for the 'bows' the band takes, I shot some more since the concert was technically over. It's very frustrating, especially since these are for my personal use and enjoyment.