I'm going to be hung for sacrillege, but...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Ming Thein, Jan 7, 2006.

1. I also have the suspicion I'm going to be hung on charges of high treason. This is the first Sigma lens I've ever liked (I've tried about a dozen, and they've all gone back and been replaced by their Nikkor equivalents) - but I *really* like this one.

What is it? The 30/1.4 EX DC HSM, of course :biggrin:

Initial performance impressions: useable at f1.4, very sharp at f2. No sign of 'sigma yellow'. AF is fast and accurate, no backfocus/front focus. I can't see any CA. Optically I feel it's on par with my 50/1.8, and perhaps even a hair better.

[Note: I swear my dealer wasn't driving a BMW last week. He'll probably go out of business if I leave the country :tongue: ]

Ming

Sauces
    [​IMG]

Fast food
    [​IMG]

Tunnel
    [​IMG]

Stormy (full marks to water sealing, by the way. It was bucketing down.)
    [​IMG]

Curve
    [​IMG]

All shot with D2H and 30/1.4.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Those look great! I swear by my 35mm f/2, but the sigma normal lens really has me interested! One problem I have heard about is focus huntiing in low light. Any insight?

3. No focus hunting on a D2H here. I was tempted by the 35/2 also, but it's a hair too long, and none of the samples I've tried were as sharp as the Sigma.

Ming

4. Those are outstanding images.

5. Honestly, Sigma has some very nice glass out there. However, the Nikkor 35 1.4 is so good I don't understand why the Sigma 30 1.4 is even considered. I know there is the AF side of things but hey, I love MF.

Your shots are excellent and any lens would be great in your hands IMHO, sigma or Nikkor.

6. Since I have the 28/1.4 I have no urge for the Sigma, but your pics show that it is quite a capable performer.

Your shot of the Petronas Towers is breath-taking.

Cheers

7. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    This lens perked my intrest as well after seeing someone on FM 's Site had just got it.Thier sample looked good as well . Looks to be a good lens.

I may have to investigate this further.

8. wow...

Ming,
    wow....very impressive images...
    forget the lens.. your composition is great...
    ok...the lens also performed great....:biggrin:

keep posting shots...great work...

9. Thanks guys! :biggrin:

Ming

10. excellent pics, do you live in kuala lumpur?

11. Hi Brett, yep, I live in KL.

Ming