I'm going to be in SW FLA next week

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StL_Don, Dec 24, 2005.

1. I'm headed to Naples Wednesday for the annual New Year's visit with the inlaw. I hope to be able to work in at least one early morning's shooting.

Last year I went to Ding Darling and a rookery that was inland - can't recall the name.

Does anyone in the area have better suggestions? Other spots on Sanibel?

Anybody want to try to hook up? At this time I can't give specific day since I'm dependent on my mother-in-law not needing her car. Possibilities are Thurs - Sat and slim chance of Sunday, but that is my return day with an early-afternoon flight.

Last year I had my D-70 and 70-200 / TC-14 and a monopod. This year I'm coming better prepared with my D2x and 300/2.8 TCs and my brand new Sidekick setup. Probably won't get any better shots, but at least I won't be able to blame the gear :wink:

Don

2. Cherokee

Cherokee

Nov 27, 2005
    Alabama
    Don,
    Check the rookery located right in the heart of Venice. Anyone can give directions. It may be a little early in the season, but worth a look.
    Good shooting!
    Robert

3. Go to Corkscrew Swamp, it should be a 45 min drive. The Red Shouldered Hawks are all over, courting. Pileated Woodpeckers making nests. It's a 2 mile long boardwalk.

http://www.audubon.org/local/sanctuary/corkscrew/

original.
    the one below was shot high iso and I need to redo cause NI was too much:
    original.

if you go, bring a flash and better beamer if you have it.

4. Corkscrew - That's the other place I went last year! Why did I think it was called a rookery?
    Corkscrew wasn't very productive for me, I did see a hawk or two, but high in dense foliage. I think part of my problem was I was with wife and MIL and couldn't take the time I would have liked to.
    On the upside I did manage what IMO was one of my best shots of the trip there.
    I almost ordered a Beamer last week but got overwhelmed with all the brackets and cords it seemed I would need.

original.

Merry Christmas
    Don

5. Just a bump up the ladder. With all the Christmas posts this might have been missed... or not.

D

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    There is a rookery in Venice isn't there :>)))))

7. THanks,
    I think that may be a bit far north and when I read about it I got the impression that later in the year was better.

Don