I'm going to be published...(update)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DAVE VAN, Aug 6, 2005.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I received a call this morning from the New Jersey Hot Rod Association, NJHRA. They want to use some of my photos that I had taken last summer at their "Thunder on the Beach" show in Wildwood NJ. They want to use them in some local news papers and in all their advertisement brochures and posters for the upcoming show on Labor Day weekend in Wildwood. I just asked to get published credit for all photos used and also copies of all flyers and posters as well as newspapers. They said no problem and are giving us free tickets to this years show as well as free access to all the pit areas to meet the drivers and to take photos. My son, David is very excited and can hardly wait. Here is a link to the show info;

http://www.njhra.com/trucks.htm

Update: Here are the photos that they want to use;

Taken with a D100 and Nikkor 70-210 f/4.0-5.6D

original.

View attachment 13271

View attachment 13272

View attachment 13273

View attachment 13274

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You should'a made 'em pay Dave. Your shots are good. 8)

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Congratulations Dave,

It is so exciting to see images that you shot being used or posted somewhere where all can see them. I can only imagine how it must feel to have images on brochures, flyers, etc. especially with your name on them. Nice to hear that they are compensating you for your work, too. Your son, David, will certainly enjoy himself especially with having passes to get in the area of the cars and drivers.

4. I bet they said 'No Problem!'

Without wishing to be derogatory you should have asked for a fee. Giving your work away is not good practise for you or other photographers. It gives the wrong impression, and demeans your work; which is certainly good enough for you to be paid for your expertise.

I have had a number of suppliers of wild bird food ask for my images for use in their catalogues and web sites but as soon as I mention a fee or credit note against my next purchase, they go silent. Well, if they cannot afford a fee, then they cannot have my work to use to advertise their products.

Best Wishes.
    Bob F.

5. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    awesome pics Dave,

Bob, while I agree that if you want to make a profession of it, you cannot make a habit of giving away things for free, but sometimes to a hobbyist it is more fun to have a credited picture in print that you can show off, than to miss the opportunity over asking for $50 (or whatever amount)

Plus, with extra tickets and passes, sounds like you got a great deal Dave. good for you.

6. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Bob, I certainly understand your position. I am a mechanical/ process engineer by trade. I design and manufacture ground weapon systems for the US military. One of my hobbies is photography. Photography for me is a way to escape reality. I enjoy taking photos of activities that I can share with my son. I enjoy going to car and truck shows with my son and if I can get some recognition for my photos all the better. I feel it is better to get my name known first and the publicity certainly doesn't hurt. If they want to use my work in the future, I wouldn't hesitate to charge an appropriate fee for them. Once again I don't' mean to offend anyone and I understand your position . :)

7. Congrats, Dave! You must be very proud.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dave that is wonderful..
    I would say you are getting paid friend. Your son will be overjoyed. What a present.

Good job. Congratulations.

Great foot in the door.

9. Congrats Dave, and Franks right you should of made them pay.

10. Wow, good news keep coming. Congrats Dave, and I believe David will enjoy it.

11. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks Scott for the comments.
    Because I am an amature and have no idea what to charge, what would have been a fair rate to charge for the use of my photos in the way that I have described?

12. Great photos Dave, but I have to concur with others here, in that you should of charged a fee. By not charging, you inadvertently hurt photographers trying to make a living in this profession. I don't want to come off sounding mean or anything, but in an ever growing world of digital photographers it's getting tough, forcing us to resort to gorilla tactics...well at least in my case. :)

13. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    That's exactly the problem I have! I get requests to use my shots in various things all the time, but no one ever wants to pay. Put yourself in their position. Why would you pay a pro for use of his photo when you can get an amateur/hobbiest to "donate" their photo for free. With the internet and digital cameras, everyone can get great pics and seen by prospective clients and the less someone pays for stuff, the larger their profit margin (they are using your images to make money, let's not forget).

Dave,

Took a look at your images, and they're awsome! It's no wonder why they wanted to use your pics! Congrats! (though I too, think you should have charged for them).

14. Congrats Dave. I think you did the right thing with just getting credit line for your images and the tickets to this years show were an added bonus. Now go an take some great images and then make them pay. I did this with a local business and have since received several paid jobs.

15. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks Gordon. I have to agree with you at this time. I think its better right now to build up a good relationship with these people and maybe something will come of it in the future. :D

16. There is a way that you can make some money out of these photos.

Make it be known to the organisers, and anybody and everybody that you will sell your images in print form (8x10 - 12x8 etc.) for a fee. You never know, some enthusiats may want a copy or two. Make sure you get the money UP FRONT.

Anyway, have a great time, and I hope you and your son thoroughly enjoy it.

BW. Bob F.

17. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks Bob, that is a great idea. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to sell images of the trucks. Believe it or not "Monster Trucks" and all the merchandising that goes along with it is the fastest growing Motor Sports in the world. The owners of these trucks sell almost any type of merchandise with their image on it that you can think of, clothing, toys, school supplies, my wife even bought my son a box of "Monster Jam" fruit snacks yesterday at the grocery store! I don't think they would take kindly to me selling photos with their trucks on them :(

18. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well Dale, maybe you could approach some of the drivers about licensing some of your images for them to use in their merchandising?

19. Hi Dave

Great shots and congratulations on getting published - you deserve it. I agree with your outlook. I frequently give my photos to charitable organizations or trade as you have done. By getting the "penetration" you will get more offers to shoot commercially in the future if that is what you want.

As far as the argument that you are taking food off the table for the professionals - well, that is debatable. Many professionals are in demand because they are DEPENDABLE and RELIABLE. It is a hastle for a commercial customer to find an amateur who can deliver the goods on demand. For the amateur this becomes a hastle too, and he/she will start charging for their time.

20. Shecks

Shecks

Jul 23, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    Dave, I too feel you did the right thing. Give some pictures away now, knowing that they may be seen by many many people in different and perhaps high places. Then the great photos that you will take in the future along with a name recognition can support a more rewarding financial payback. Little steps.......lofty goal.

Tom