I'm going to have to use my TC20EII more

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hillrg, Sep 28, 2005.

1. I was reviewing some photos, getting pysched up for the upcoming eagle season, and came across this one, which I shot in 2003 with my D2H, 500/4 and TC20EII. I have been pretty critical of the TC20, but if you can close down a stop and use the right technique the results can be reasonable. This one was f/8, 1/800s and is a 50% crop.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm pumped too Rory. Three weeks ago I got this shot of an Eagle. I'm ready for when they start to nest as they hang out in a tree similar to the one you've posted.

Not by best shot, but its an Eagle!!!

[​IMG]

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

With TC or no TC you guys are just flat out lucky to shoot these guys in the wild.

Looking forward to the show !!

4. Nice grab Patrick! There are hardly any around right now. I was out in one of our logging operations and saw a Redtail and a Sharp-shinned hawk, but of course I did not have any long glass with me. C'est la vie.

5. Interesting. So I have been thinking about the TC17, and now I'm wondering if i should get the TC20 instead....

6. I would emphatically go for the TC17 for two reasons - 1/2 extra stop and significantly sharper images.

Or you can get the TC17 and I will trade with you <grin>

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Rory,

I too have some Eagle shots with my 2.0, just because we couldn't get close, and I agree that the extra length is nice. OTOH, I've been a tad disappointed in the quality with this TC, and with the 1.7, although I completely agree that the 1.7 is quite a bit better than the 2.0. I've found that I'm happiest with my shots when I use the 300 2.8 wide open or with the 1.4 TC. Sometimes though the extra reach is needed.

Nice shot BTW. :smile:

8. That is a pretty decent result considering you're using the 2x. I've always been leary of trying that one out.

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Any time you can get an eagle shot you are doing well. I prefer the 1.4 though. I have found the 1.7 and 2.0 to slow down the camera too much for my preferences. But if you need them to get a shot like you've posted then I would use them.