I'm gonna get you!

Well, it does look like he's gonna come after me - LOL! He was actually about to fly to the feeder. I just got lucky. 300mm afs 4 w/1.7TC

464674830_d87fd936d1_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

what a cool shot!!

Boy that is RED, Great Shot Dianne

May want to back off the saturation a little.

nice shot!

Thanks ya'll! My back yard was like grand central station today! Birdies flying everywhere, male sparrows fighting over a lovely lady, 2 rabbits - one being chased by the other, and I couldn't snap photos fast enough and my battery died. I just got lucky on Mr. Red.

Wow, talk about "in-yer-face!" This guy really was checking you out! LOL! You are definitely doing good things with that new 300mm lens!! :smile:

I agree with Hangin Tree, that I'd back off a little on the saturation and see if you can open up the shadows a little to bring out his eyes more, separate them from his black mask....

OK, Missy, now you've had your fun playing with the birdies. Let's get back to practicing with that portrait stuff, hear?!!! Set up the backdrop, camera, tripod and a chair in the living room. Sit the kids down, one by one, with their musical instrument or some object to hold representing an instrument and fire away! The more you play around with this at home the more comfortable you will feel with your gear when you are at the actual shooting session for those recital portraits. That's coming up pretty soon, isn't it?

Cute shot!

Thanks! I just got lucky on him!

Wow, talk about "in-yer-face!" This guy really was checking you out! LOL! You are definitely doing good things with that new 300mm lens!! :smile:

I agree with Hangin Tree, that I'd back off a little on the saturation and see if you can open up the shadows a little to bring out his eyes more, separate them from his black mask....

OK, Missy, now you've had your fun playing with the birdies. Let's get back to practicing with that portrait stuff, hear?!!! Set up the backdrop, camera, tripod and a chair in the living room. Sit the kids down, one by one, with their musical instrument or some object to hold representing an instrument and fire away! The more you play around with this at home the more comfortable you will feel with your gear when you are at the actual shooting session for those recital portraits. That's coming up pretty soon, isn't it?

Thanks Connie!
Well, I really didn't do anything with saturation, but I'll play with it some more. On the portraits, it's hard getting into the church when I have someone to practice on. Right now, I'm trying to read up on how to properly set up the speed lights and need to watch the DVD on the Fong stuff. I really haven't had enough time to do much - and Sunday's disaster really deflated my balloon in more ways than one!

Well, I really didn't do anything with saturation, but I'll play with it some more. On the portraits, it's hard getting into the church when I have someone to practice on. Right now, I'm trying to read up on how to properly set up the speed lights and need to watch the DVD on the Fong stuff. I really haven't had enough time to do much - and Sunday's disaster really deflated my balloon in more ways than one!

Sometimes it's necessary to add more saturation but at other times it's necessary to back it off a bit....how do you have your D50 settings configured? You may have the saturation set a little high in the camera -- I think the default is for images to "pop" right out of the camera, which in most cases is fine but in some instances is not what you really need.

As for the portraits: I realized you probably can't get into the church much during the week, so that is why I suggested setting up your makeshift "studio" temporarily at home in the living room or dining room or family room, wherever there's a little space, so you can practice. Yeah, I'm sure the kids and Mark won't be thrilled if you practice on them but this is really a necessary part of the process, unfortunately! The best way to learn is to try different things, see what works and what doesn't and why....and then try again and again. I am sure last Sunday was very upsetting and deflating for you, but don't give up! You just need to keep at it, practice as much as you can. Heck, during the day when the kids are at school and Mark's at work or asleep at home if he's doing night shifts, set up something and use a stuffed animal or one of Mariam's dolls as your model! It is really important to get that whole lighting ratio thing down pat. It's also better to make your mistakes at home so that by the time you're ready to shoot for "real," you're feeling more confident and comfortable with your gear, the setup, etc.

A thought just occurred to me: in any of the shopping malls around you is there one of those "Glamour Shots" or "Portrait Place" franchises? Maybe you could pop in there and chat up the people (if they are not busy) and get some pointers.... Don't know if that is feasible or not, just something that popped into my head!

Great shot Dianne. It looks like he's trying to figure out what lens you have :biggrin: . It's a real beautiful bird. I wish we had those.

Nice in your face capture, Dianne.

Thanks! I was glad I caught it! LOL!

Great shot Dianne. It looks like he's trying to figure out what lens you have :biggrin: . It's a real beautiful bird. I wish we had those.

Thanks Torben! I didn't think of it like that! That's a good one too! Cardinals are very pretty and is one of my favorites to try for. I bet Denmark has some pretty birds too!:biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom