I'm Home, It Was Guillain-Barre

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken-L, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Just got home from the hospital. I have Guillain-Barre (http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/gbs/gbs.htm), it was likely brought on by my recent infection, so it probably will be quite a while before I recover.....

I'll try to be here as much as I can, thanks for the comments, calls and support.

2. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Wow! up to three years for full recovery. I certainly hope you are one of the quick ones gaining your strength back.

Feel better.

Ron

3. Ken,
    Another hurdle! My son (in his early thirties) contracted this along with east nile virus. Like you, his immune system was very weak so he was very vulnerable. The good news is he began getting better almost immediately. It wasn't quick, by any means, but steady. I hope and pray you will have the same success.

Rich

4. Hi, Ken

I'm glad to hear you're home. Thanks for the link about Guillain-Barre. Hope you'll get stronger soon now that they know what is wrong.

All the best to both you and Anne!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

5. Ken - I am glad to hear you are at home again. And I wish you a speedy recovery.

6. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi ken-

glad to hear that you're back home. hopefully you'll have a swift recovery, but in the meantime you can whittle away the hours with the d200 hoopla :smile:

ricky

7. Ken, glad to know that you're home. It's nasty, but at least they have the right diagnosis and know what to do.

Take your time, and hope that you have a speedy and uneventful recovery.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Glad to hear that you are back home Ken. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. We at the Cafe will be here to keep you company as you go through the recovery process. Lean on us. :smile:

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

My toes felt numb starting maybe October 14th, and was assumed to be a side effect of a med I was on. Monday I was a mess, went to the Doctor, had very low blood pressure, unable to walk unassisted; wondered if it was a reaction to meds I was taking. By Tuesday morning, October 18 I had lost almost all my motor controls, could barely speak, and taken to the hospital ER by ambulance. Later in the evening my breathing seemd affected and a "rapid resonse team" of 5 came charging in, and I was stable.....

By the 23rd, Guillain Barre was the diagnosis, and I was getting better as I waited; speech was improving, motor control was returning, etc. I had three immuneglobulan treatments. I was left with was a numbness in my feet up to the sock line, and in my fingers. (Not to even mention more weight loss and muscles turning to jelly.) So, it seems to be a fast starting and fast repairing guillain barre. Now worst case would be a lengthy wait for the nerves to come back, but the way they've begun to feel, I suspect recovery will be shorter - hey, I can wish can't I?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2005
  11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ken,
    Happy you are home and on the way to recovery.
    Keep hoping and wishing and being strong. That will work.
    We are here to keep you company and giving you hope and strength.
    Like Frank said,
    LEAN on us Pal we are here.

Love and Hugs to you and Anne.

Take care get strong and well.

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Ken,

I'm glad to hear that you are home and have a definate diagnosis from your medical team...that's half the battle. I'm sure you will heed their recommendations to the "T" so you can get this all behind you in the shortest amount of time. As Frank stated, "We'll keep you company, lean on us!"

13. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Ken,
    I'm glad your back. I'll be praying for you full recovery.

14. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Ken,
    Gee, I've been so consumed with the hurricane and without power I couldn't keep up with the news on the forum.

Just read about your illness and diagnosis and must let you know I"m thinking of you. Let's hope your recovery is faster than normal.The fact that you're headed in the right direction now is very encouraging to you, I'm sure. Also very good news for us caring about you.

Good luck and my best wishes to you--- and behave :biggrin:

Gaye

15. Ken
    A proper diagnosis is a first and important step, you seem to have a great attitude which will go a long way in expediting your return to health. My thoughts and prayers to a speedy recovery

16. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Speedy return to health to you and our best wishes for full recovery.

17. Ken,

I am glad they found the cause of your health problems. Justing knowing what it is can bring peace of mind. I hope the treatment goes well with you.

18. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Ken,
    I was left in a very weakened state several years ago from the shingles. I went to a naturopath and found holistic medicine worked very well for me. I had some stuff that kicked my a** but after I finished the 2 week course, I improved dramatically. I also have found Reiki to be very beneficial. Modern medicine can do wonders, but so can some of the older ways.
    Best of luck to you!

19. Ken

The immuneglobulan treatments will hopefully do the trick for you along with the other medications. Are the treatments IV or subcutaneous? The reason I ask is Thursday morning is my time to self infuse immuneglobulan(Gamunex); which I am doing as I type this. At age 59 it was discovered I suffered from CVID. In the last several years I was battling one infection after another. Since I started the immuneglobulan treatments I have not been ill. So it does work.

Wish you the best.

Russ

20. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I had my immuneglobulin IV while in the hospital; they gave three treatments. The neurologist said that UC Davis doesn't use it....they would have done a plasma replacement therapy (not what I would want to go through). There is no other treatments that I can have now unless it gets worse....