Critique I'm in a rut and trying to get out

Real Name
Andy
I've had a string of demanding clients lately. I'm not a full time pro, so it's hitting me harder than it would if I were (I think). In any case, the photography income has been good, but it has really dampened my love of the craft. So, I decided to change it up a bit and shake the dust off of my 14-24 and do a photo walk, just for the joy of it. Nothing fancy here - just a few shots that made me stop and compose.

1. Bridge
20200221_15_121461.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Window panes and their shadows
20200221_15_203497.jpg

3. Please Do Not Climb
20200221_16_022355.jpg

4. New bench
20200221_16_095235.jpg

5. Snow Log
20200221_16_154413.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff!
When I want to break away from "demand shooting", I go out and shoot Polaroids, Instax, or 35mm film to relax and enjoy!...... :)

Real Name
Andy
I hear you, Andy. Easy to lose focus. I love #1. Small and new "victories" do help. See my 52 week week 7/8.
Thanks, Nick. #1 was probably a good candidate for a focus stack, but since I was trying to just enjoy myself, I had no tripod with me. I'm heading to your thread to take a look...

Real Name
Andy
In #1, I wish the foreground piece of metal was in focus. It would also be fun to see that scene focus-stacked to make everything in focus.
Absolutely right, Mike. I just stopped down to f/11 and focused 1/3 of the way into the scene, but this image would definitely be stronger if, at minimum, the bottom of the frame were sharp. Thanks for the comment!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Just some thoughts.... The 14-24 is a fantastic lens. My favorite for architecture and for scenes that have a strong foreground or even a strong foreground, middle ground and background! This series it appears you were focused on leading lines.... right?

#1 - nice leading lines, but I feel the photo lacks a subject at the end of those lines and the foreground is empty except for the OOF ??

#2 - Hmmmm..... I feel there are two photos here. The top photo without the floor. The bottom photo without the walls! LOL!

#3 - I liked this one the best and played with it for just a few minutes... BTW - your sensor really needs cleaned... the spots you see are after I removed a lot of other ones. ;)
20200221_16_022355_kp.jpg

#4 - Tough one. Just doesn't work for me. What were you trying to convey?

#5 - Horizon slants to the left. Is the log the subject? Then make it prominent in the scene. The whole scene seems cluttered.

Karen's brighter version of #3 is definitely an important improvement for me. Consider cropping that one so the top left arm goes beyond the frame, which makes the composition more dynamic for me and gives me a greater sense of the subject's height.

#2 - Hmmmm..... I feel there are two photos here. The top photo without the floor. The bottom photo without the walls! LOL!

That image could definitely be broken up into the two images you mentioned. However, the current version also works fine for me mostly because I see it as a cacophony of lines going in just about every direction.

Real Name
Andy
This series it appears you were focused on leading lines.... right?
Yes! I was definitely looking for lines - perhaps not the best use of the 14-24, but that seemed to be what I was seeing on the day.
#1 - nice leading lines, but I feel the photo lacks a subject at the end of those lines and the foreground is empty except for the OOF ??
Definitely needed more DOF here. No tripod, so I just placed the focus target 1/3 of the way into the scene and went with f/11. I don't think stopping down more would have brought the FG into focus, and while there was something interesting in the BG, the WA made it irrelevant. Perhaps this would have been better with a telephoto to compress the BG into the frame and about 50 paces backward.
I feel there are two photos here.
I was trying to compose to include the windows and the shadows cast by their panes, but there is a bit too much dead space in the middle.
#3 - I liked this one the best and played with it for just a few minutes... BTW - your sensor really needs cleaned...
Yes, overdue for a cleaning, and thanks for the PP suggestion.
#4 - Tough one. Just doesn't work for me. What were you trying to convey?
I wanted to accentuate the freshly cut lumber at dissimilar lengths causing uneven ends. Then, I decided to try to compose so that the entire bench was in view, but that leaves the eye wondering, doesn't it?
Is the log the subject? Then make it prominent in the scene. The whole scene seems cluttered.
I had hoped to catch a sun star and the log together in an interesting way. One of the dangers of the WA - it's easy to have too much going on at once.

Karen, I truly appreciate your taking the time to comment thoughtfully - very helpful, as always!

I've been there myself... For quite a few years now, unfortunately. Although, a lot of my time away has been due to family with my kids being very active with travel sports. Got burned out from a few jobs that I had to deal with miserable people/clients, and it put a bad taste in my mouth almost having me sell everything. I'm glad I didn't, the love affair has been rekindled. LOL

I think it is getting harder and harder not to get in a rut. I have been battling with the same feelings on and off for a while.
For me, anyway, this is almost getting too easy. The technical part of this- the cameras, settings, lenses- is done. It is easy to get a properly exposed image, that is in focus and has no strong technical issues. That used to be hard, and just achieving that was worth celebrating.
Now it is easy. 99% of my clicks are technically fine.
Now the challenge is the art. Getting images that are interesting, that tell a story. That is the hard part.
Finding a voice. Sometimes I can hear it, but when it fades away I get in a rut.
Trying new equipment and new subjects certainly can help.
Even if you fall flat on your face, you are still moving forward.
gary

Real Name
Andy
@taat2d, @gchappel, @Mike Buckley - Thanks for reviving this thread. In the yearlong time since I posted this, COVID-19 took the world’s stage and much has changed.

I’m reminded that one thing hasn’t: the Nikon Cafe remains a great place to stay motivated by the encouragement and thoughtful critique that is the trademark of its members.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom