I'm in the door if I want it!

I've been wanting to shoot MX races since I started shooting MX in 2005. I found out this weekend at Waco Eagles the races no longer have a photographer - well, it's due to falling attendance and I'm thinking after having seen some of the photos, due also to poor photography. I have no clue as to how I should charge for photos or exactly how to promote my skills down there. I'm basically a "nobody" and dunno how well I'd be recieved. I do have a big welcome to come from one of the heads over the races. Any thoughts, tips, ideas would be welcome at this point.

Congrats Dianne on a great opportunity. I'd say work closely with the racr organizers to get permissions at key locations and then build a nice delivery method. Are these photos for the organizers or the participants/families? Are you shooting on spec? meaning are you just trying to get people to buy? I'd consider a sellable web-site such as zenfolio or smgmug.

Congrats Dianne on a great opportunity. I'd say work closely with the racr organizers to get permissions at key locations and then build a nice delivery method. Are these photos for the organizers or the participants/families? Are you shooting on spec? meaning are you just trying to get people to buy? I'd consider a sellable web-site such as zenfolio or smgmug.

Thanks! I have smugmug. The photos may end up being for both. I'd like to find out why the attendance is falling off and a few other things. It's a good 1 1/2 hour drive to Waco - if not more, and I don't want to be wasting gas. I've never had any issues selling my MX shots, a race may even make things better. We'll see how it goes....

To make this worth the effort you will want to have on-site printing capability. Once they go home you can't count on them going to your site, looking through the images, ordering, waiting to get the prints, etc. Especially if they don't know you. At the very least you'll have to provide a way to place orders at the track. You'll want to consider insurance as well, especially if you are going to have track access. The other guy is gone for a reason, find out why. It isn't an easy thing to make money at these events.

To make this worth the effort you will want to have on-site printing capability. Once they go home you can't count on them going to your site, looking through the images, ordering, waiting to get the prints, etc. Especially if they don't know you. At the very least you'll have to provide a way to place orders at the track. You'll want to consider insurance as well, especially if you are going to have track access. The other guy is gone for a reason, find out why. It isn't an easy thing to make money at these events.

+1

I used to print on-site all the time, so that won't be an issue. I'm researching insurance too. I'm sending out another email today about the why's - I'm wondering too why the attendance has fallen off along with the other photographer quitting - well I kinda know why she quit - I hate to say it "publically" but her skills were "worse" than mine. She always got the same old shots and the color was way too washed out. I'd have to put everything I learned from Jeff Cox into use - except maybe the standing on top of the jumps. I just can't bring myself to do that during a race.

To make this worth the effort you will want to have on-site printing capability. Once they go home you can't count on them going to your site, looking through the images, ordering, waiting to get the prints, etc. Especially if they don't know you.
another +.....my experience has been that you have a far better chance of making the sale when in person....seize the moment :smile:

agree.. on site can make the difference of goods sales as you are building on the emotion and the event.. that is huge so you may need a 2nd person, to download, PP and print while you shoot. That is what we did for soccer tournaments or your sales fall through the floor.

agree.. on site can make the difference of goods sales as you are building on the emotion and the event.. that is huge so you may need a 2nd person, to download, PP and print while you shoot. That is what we did for soccer tournaments or your sales fall through the floor.

I'm really wishing we had our camper back! It would be a great place to keep everything clean and orderly. I'm gonna have to get a lot of questions anwered before I head out for sure!

Latest threads

Top Bottom