I'm in trouble!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Steve S, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    When I was picking up my 2X this afternooon, I happened to ask if they ever got one of those 200 f2 VRs in. Well, they did, and man, oh man, what a mega-beast of a lens! (no, I didn't buy it). If you've ever handled one, it's the fattest, shortest, stubby chunk of a lens you've ever laid eyes on. It weighs 6.4 lbs, and is only about 8in long! It has a 124mm front lens element! (you use a drop-in filter in the back). I want one sooooo bad! Just think, add a TC1.4 and you've got a 280mm f2.8! I'm in truoble, I think. :oops:

2. Steve, it's obvious that you have a taste for fine glass. The problem is, your camera bag is probably bulging at the
    seams. So I'm going to help you out by letting you dump your lesser glass into my camera bag. How about the
    300/4 and 85/1.8 for starters? :LOL:

3. Hi Steve, you're a deep trouble. I think I know how strong is your lust for this lens since I try it out at my favorite camera shop. This lens is so bright and sharp. But the price tag just send me back to my «poor» reality.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Thats nuthin - check out the Special Edition Nikon 300mm f/2:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It weighs 16.5 lbs. and originally cost $30,000 :jawdrop:
    It was only available to broadcast stations but now can be bought by the general public.

You can get one for the unbelievably low price of $12,000 on eBay. :wideyed:

6. You can get them in Japan for about $7000 with the hood, plus shipping. The eBay seller is ripping folks off (who don't know).

If you really want one I can have my brother in law pick one up for you... you would want to give him some sort of reasonable fee, and he will have to be covered for the tax as well, but you'd save one heck of a lot of money.

Ron

7. I can understand the Broadcast pro's...

I can understand the Broadcast pro's want them but even at $7000 seems a bit of overkill :) not sure how I would propose this to the wife
    :)

What about the 2000 Mirror reflex version? I saw one in Texas go for $3000 on Ebay and then some scam artist try to sell me one from England for 750 £. Has anyone tried it and can speak for the picture quality? (at F11 at least the depth of field is ok)