1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I'm Interested in Stock Photography...What Do I Need to Know?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShadowFox19, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Hello All,
    I'm interested in doing Stock Photography, but don't know where to start.
    I know I the models/people in my shots need release forms, but beyond that, I'm kinda lost. Do I need to start licensing my photos? Any information will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I think your best resource is the information on www.istockphoto.com
    They have a nice guide there for what your rights are as a Stock Photographer and what to expect. There are some threads around here too, here is a link to a good one

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=171139&highlight=selling+stock+photos

I tried the stock photo thing, got a couple images up and got nothing from it. You have to really "shoot for the stock agency" to make any from this. By that I mean, forget shooting what you like, you have to shoot what they want pictures of. It cramps my style.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Forget istockphoto unless you want to waste your time and hurt the market for your fellow photogs. Try photoshelter instead.

If you're interested in reading up on the subject, check out John Shaw's Business Guide to Nature Photography - it's a good resource for any type of stock niche when it comes to the economics, marketing and legal issues.

Sean

4. I would agree 100%... stay away from the microstocks, not worth the time and effort, and it hurts the industry as a whole.

I sell stock on Photoshelter and have been very pleased with having my images for sale there at a fair price and fair commission. Just don't expect to make a huge income from stock unless if you dedicate time to building a large collection of images specifically for stock.

5. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Not to mention that microstock isn't worth it if you don't have at least thousands of photos right off the bat, otherwise you'll end up earning peanuts if anything at all …

6. I have a Friend that turns about 2K a month, it is not easy, I have not followed his lead, it is hard work. But I will tell you that what sells often makes no sense, so shooting anything and everything, especially the odd, seems to help. the average sale price is $200 to 400, the big sales are 4/5K, and few and far between. Do not count on eating off it.

7. Thanks for all the advise everyone.
    I'm not looking to make a career out of it, just have some fun and see what comes of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.