I'm just floored...

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by PJohnP, Feb 5, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks to Harris' invitation, I've decided to make a post or two over here.

This is a shot from the Amtrak Surf Station near Lompoc, CA taken about a week back, immediately after sunset. I stalked around this station as it appeared almost as "a port in a storm" with the lights of the station standing out against the blue and black sky. I finally knelt (in a very uncomfortable pose) and took this shot.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D100, 12-24mm DX (12mm), ISO400, 1/5 s, f/4, -1.7ev, slightly cropped, processed in NC

Here's hoping that links work the same here as "that other forum".

Always shoot.

John P.

2. Hey John, glad you made it. Guess now you know where we've all been hiding. No trolling here except for me and bill dewey. Just fun and photography for you, courtesy of Flew and Patrick. I think you'll like this place.

Nice image. Keep posting.

3. Welcom, I saw this image in dpreview and I liked it then and I like it now. Interesting feeling of lonliness at this time of night. Hope you enjoy this group here at the Nikon Cafe.

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Nice to be here...

Harris :

Well, I'm not giving up on dpreview - there are still a lot of very good people posting some amazing images there. But I will try to split a bit of my materials around.

John P.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gordon :

Thanks for the kind remarks.

When I was at Surf Beach, I was the only person there for some time, until a biker showed up, looked around, and left. So, indeed, it was a lonely and quiet place.

Funny location, too, as it's quite literally surrounded by an air force base. the beach area has signs noting that everything is under electronic surveillance, and it's very clear that photography in areas around the base is not permitted.

john P.

6. Hi John, glad to see you here! I tried to send you an invite but your email wasn't listed on dpreview...glad Harris found you. Yes, there's still worthwhile stuff over there and certainly lots of great people posting; and due to volume, if nothing else, there may be a larger resource pool for technical questions, but its much more civilized over here! And no one will tell you that birds, pets, or kids aren't worth posting :lol:

I think I told you over there how much I like this shot!

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Janet :

Thanks for the good thoughts !

No, I don't give out my e-mail address in the forum. There are too many 'bots harvesting addresses for my taste.

As for the other forum, well, fora go from strength to strength, and sometimes fail under their own weight. I've been a moderator and sysop on several fora over the years, and unless a forum is pretty strictly managed, Gresham's Law tends to take over in time. But the larger a forum gets, the harder it is to manage effectively, thereby creating a "failure of success". The better the forum is, the more likely it is to attract exactly the people the forum was created in order to avoid...

I guess there are good reasons why exclusive clubs are exclusive, after all.

Which then begs the question about why I'm here. <wry grin> What was it Groucho Marx said ? Something like, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member. " <evil chuckle>

But now I have to tend to the transfer of 100GB of photos off of a failing drive. More later...

John P.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    John,

Welcome!! Glad you decided to stop by. I think that you will like the more calm and relaxed atmosphere here. Hang around for a while and see what you think.

Regards,

Frank