I'm liking my D2X again...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Jonathan F/2, Jul 27, 2008.

1. So I picked up a 200mm f/2 VR and first mounted it to the D300, it was okay and then I mounted it to the D2X. I was astonished to see that the lens seemed to respond to the camera quite well! Shooting it near wide open, the quality in my eyes, especially below 400 ISO seems to be really nice.

Anyways, since I don't have an FX camera, how does the D3/D700 image quality compare in the 400 ISO and below category? I'm beginning to have second thoughs about selling my D2X and almost feel like I'm falling back in love with the darn thing! :Love::biggrin::tongue::wink:

Opinions please!

2. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Jonathan...

I am keeping my D2XS and my D3 for those very reasons...

I think they are a match made in heaven.

3. Hi Don, I find the D2X so much more responsive to my pro telephoto lenses. While the D300 is nice, it lacks the absolute precision of the flagship auto focus. I'm thinking of dumping both my D300 bodies for either a D700 or a used D3. Decisions, decisions!

4. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    For your type of shooting... I would only have the best bodies. The D3/ D2X(S) bodies are just way better made. I hate the battery door on the D300... I kept thinking it would break off. :eek:

I have had both... and I am not a pro. I baby my stuff... but I just prefer the pro bodies.

D2X for reach and good light.

D3 for low light and wide angle.

5. That's what I'm thinking. The D2X handles the 200mm F/2 VR so much better. The AF is more precise and because of the fast aperture advantage (plus the fact I live in southern California) going at higher ISOs isn't necessary for me. Plus I have a 17-55 which is completely happy living on a D2X and still creates fantastic images.

I'm beginning to lean more towards the D3, but man, that's more money I got to blow. The D700 gets me 8 FPS, the high ISO advantage and the same 12mp FX sensor, but it ain't a D3! It's either get the best or get what's good enough at a lower expense. I'm not rich by any means, just trying to get the best equipment for the job...

6. me too! I have sold my D300 andone fo the D2X bodies and Im keeping my old one as a backup to the D3

A probody is a probody!!!

7. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    And everyone was telling me I was nuts when I said I prefer the D2X over the D300...

I just got my D2X back from Nikon Melville... Cleaned and adjusted AF & AE, replaced the rear LCD, replaced all the rubber and the top plate. It's better than new!! And truth be told, I reach for it more often than I reach for the D300.

Bad light? D300. Everything else? D2X.

8. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

the d300 as great as it is ,is a improvment from the d200 ,therefore its not going to have the profesional build of the nikon flagship at that time the d2x.the only logical move if you were a d2x owner was the new pro body d3.
    the d100/2000/300 are very well made amature cameras.better made than amature cameras of the past but still not made to be rufffly handled in desert or rainforrest environments.

9. Northwood

Northwood

Mar 26, 2008
    Oregon
    I was about to spend the $1800 for a new D300 which was to replace my D200. That was until a friend offered to sell me his D2Xs for the same price (he had upgraded to a D3). I really had to think about this as I was sold on the D300 with all its great new shiny features. But the bottom line, I really wanted a Pro camera and the D2X had always impressed me with its Image quality and durability. I can't really put my finger on it but there's definitely something different about the images out of a D2X that just look and feel real to me. Not to say that the D300 doesn't produce awesome pictures but the D2X suites me in my style of photography. So now I own a D2Xs and love every minuet I spend with it. Maybe in a couple years I'll be able to purchase a D3 for the same price.:rolleyes:

10. The D2X is really a camera for those who have a taste for it. It's kind of like a fine wine that not everyone will appreciate. Most will prefer the D300, but those who realize the nuances of the D2X will cherish it. It is a flagship camera with flagship qualities.

Man, no wonder Canon shooters think we're snooty! :eek::biggrin::tongue::wink:

11. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    With the price's that people are dumping there D2x the thought has crossed my mind of picking one of them up. The only thing that holds me back is the reports of the older Nikkor AIS not playing well with the D2x. So Im still "slugging it out" with my beat up
    D2H as a second digital body to my D3. I agree about the build quality and "feel" of the Nikon Pro bodie's.

Gregory

12. I'm also a member of the "I'm keeping my D2x" club. IMO, the D3/D2x combo is hard to beat. I still prefer the D2x in conditions where the light is good. If you can put aside the crappy LCD, there isn't much not to like.

13. Wich ais lenses does not play well with it ? I never heard that?

14. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Paul: Iv read that Nikkor supertelephoto's like the 400 3.5 ED-IF AIS , 600 5.6 ED-IF AIS arnt really sharp on the D2X. I found the site 2 years ago before, I rebuilt my system. I forget the name but Iv heard it mentioned on this forum before. It gave all the Nikkor's, new and old, a rating system on the digital bodies 0-5. My memory fails me for the name. It had a photo with a trunk load of Nikkor's just before the link to the list...OO. Someone help me out here.:redface:
    I got to go to work

Gregory

15. Ahh gotcha, well that explains it i dont read much about lenses above 200mm. :wink:

As for the site, all that neon hurt my eyes so i try to stay away...

16. knut

knut

Aug 25, 2005
    Norway
  17. Hello, Is the price diference between the D2x and D2xs worth it? Thinking of either one of these or a D2h or D2hs. The prices sure are tempting. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jan

18. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'll let someone with hands experience with both add to this, but I believe after the last firmware update, the D2X is essentially a D2Xs.

I do know that when in High Speed Crop the cropped area is defined in the viewfinder of the D2X with LED indicators like the Active Focus Points whereas the D2Xs defines it with a grayed out border. I don't find it an issue on the D2X..

19. Thanks Micheal for the input. Do you find you use your D300 or D2x more? How, in your opinion do they compare?

Thanks