I'm loving Lightroom2...

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by BourbonCowboy, Sep 15, 2008.

1. I shot a wedding a while back, and was actually smart enough to shoot it in RAW. I couldn't open the files in CS3, so I tried the free Lightroom download from Adobe. As it turns out, it was just the ticket...

Here's an unmodified shot from the balcony of the church (about 100 feet), no flash.

D300, 70-200, 200mm, F2.8, ISO 1600, 1/50 sec. shutter speed. Not too good, huh?

_DSC2996_041.

Now, here's another shot in the sequence (exact same settings, shot two frames prior to the above shot...but processed in Lightroom and CS3...

View attachment 253551

Not the greatest shot in the world, but it'll do. At least it's usable. Could I have done this with other software? Possibly. But Lightroom certainly made things easier - once I found the correct path/sequence for my workflow. It's definitely a keeper...at least for me.

I just wish I had gotten off my lazy butt earlier and dialed in the 70-200 to get optimal performance.

2. Good for you Mark, have you d/loaded the ACR 4.5 plug in for PSCS3 as well?

3. Mark, Do you find a lot of noise at low iso with lightroom unadjusted?
    I love Lightrooms work flow, but I find I often have to use the noise reduction slider between 80 to 100 percent.

I just curious if you notice this too. I shoot D300 as well.

4. Lightroom has cut my wedding editing time by 1/3.
    Once you start using presets that you make and editing in groups of photos, you'll be flying along.

5. i am just one week into using lightroom 2 and CS3 and they are great tools. look forward to learning how use them more.

6. Bring on the questions and I'll be happy to try and help!!
    I don't use a D300 so have no idea about noise in those files. I would suggest that you don't overdo it though as viewing on screen is noise is more noticable than prints. I have found the standard settings pretty good for a D200 though.

7. I don't see a lot of noise at low ISOs, but I haven't used LR to use/view many low ISO shots. Shots taken at ISO 1600 are loaded with noise when viewed at 100%. I typically don't use the noise reduction feature in LR...I use Noise Ninja.

8. Not yet. I'm still learning to navigate LR2 right now, and I'm not wanting to overload myself. Baby steps for now.

9. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Upgrade

Get Lightroom 2. That's even better!

10. Thats what he has...LR2.

11. Mark, that is possible especially if the white balance and/or exposure is slightly off. I don't believe the D300 is exceptionally good at 1600 either.
    Viewing at 100% on a screen will show up noise etc that is not visible on a print.
    Personally, I worry less about noise than most, LR does well with colour noise and pretty well with other noise as well. I can cope with that until I can afford better sensors.
    Clients don't comment at all !!
    It is great to see you playing and experimenting, keep it coming!!:biggrin::biggrin:

12. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Oops

Yeah, idiot me didn't see the "2". Sorry. :rolleyes: 

13. Cool, but why not show before & after of the same shot?

I'm sure you're aware that can you pick an adjusted shot and, by using the synchronize command, apply the same adjustments to a group of shots of your choosing. It has saved me tons of time.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  14. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    the 2 lcd setup in LR2 is awesome

15. That is the two screens Randy??
    I have only one and having two windows is useful.
    Where is that ACD 30" ???:biggrin::biggrin:

16. I was in a rush and couldn't find it.:frown:

I am now. I knew that I could batch process shots in bridge, but haven't played around enough with LR2 to know this could be done. Thanks for the tip.

17. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    lr2 allows you to display the pic on it's own lcd which for my eyes makes for a much better final product....i only wish they would let you crop the full screen version instead of the smaller version on the lcd with the main lr window....maybe the next release

i use 2 dell 19" lcd-s and it works great

18. Can't see it for the next release Randy, maybe LR3, have you put in a feature request? That is a good way to let the team know what people would like.:wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.