I'm loving my 35-70mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TeeSquare, Apr 29, 2007.

1. After reading such good things here about this lens I got one and it's terrific. Thanks for all the great info. 5905593-lg.

2. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Brad-
    Very nice photo and example of the 35-70. I am keeping my eyes open for a good used one of these to become available. Did you buy yours used or new? How do you most often use it? This lens has a reputation of being tack-sharp and producing great IQ. Your photo seems to support that reputation. Do you agree with its reputation?

Nice work and keep it up.

3. Thanks Ron,

I got mine used off eBay for $275.00 in Mint condition. It is tack sharp especially stopped down a bit. This one is at 5.6. The OOF areas are nice as well. I mostly use mine for people pictures as a portrait lens (it's great for parities or events).

4. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Nice pic's.....both of 'em!!

What makes the 28-70 2.8 more "desirable"......i.e. expensive?

5. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Probably the ED glass and AF-S...

I had a 35-70mm, and admittedly, it was very sharp, but it flared badly in the sun. I have been thinking about re-acquiring one for indoor use.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

woa, nice pics all of these...Josh, try the hb-15 or 26 hood that comes on the 70-300 g and d series lenses..;-)

geeeeeeez Woody ...;-))

7. It's better all around, but only by the tiniest margins... and it's especially well adapted to shooting people... Wait a minute... You already know all this. :tongue:

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lol Woody ...ya, i remember early on u showed me the diff on skin,,subtle yes, but diff none the less and definetly better even though only slightly...;-)

9. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    I'm amazed at how much more we will pay for such incremental improvements. I've never used the 35-70, but these two examples sure do make it look like a heck of a good buy.

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Stuart :

It is.

For most folks, the 35-70mm f/2.8 will be a stellar lens, with great qualities, albeit not as wide-angle as the Beast, but also having macro capabilities in place of WA. The push-pull nature of the lens can be a touch disconcerting for some people, but most quickly adjust.

I've told many friends to consider the 35-70mm instead of the Beast, usually because they have a myocardial infarct when they find out what the 28-70mm f/2.8 AFS goes for, new or used. Given that a solid condition 35-70mm goes for a third or a quarter of the price of a 28-70mm, the differential is large in cost and small in quality.

I personally think that the 35-70mm f/2.8 is one of the most underrated best value high performing zoom lenses in the Nikon series of lenses.

John P.

11. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    and also the 35-70 f/2.8 is only 2/3 the weight of the Beast, making it a better choice when one has to travel with it.

I think this will be the one I'm going to pick up instead of the beast when I hive off my 28mm.

Henry

12. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2007
  13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

congrats FJG ...whata deal, eh?

14. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Nute. Good things come to those who wait... ;)
    It is one heck of a lens!

15. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Which version did you have, Joshua? I have the latest version, f/2.8d. I also have a new 28-70 AF-S. From what I've see so far, the 28-70 has worse flare than the 35-70. I use the screw-in metal hood, from the 85 f/1.8, on the 35-70, which helps reduce flare issues even more.

16. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    I guess since I wish to use it in the studio mostly, I should find little difference between this guy and the Beast? Especially at 50 to 70mm? Would I be right?

Henry

17. In my opinion, this lens is optically at least as good as the beast.

18. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    This lens seems to be the best bang for the buck lens since the 50 f/1.8

Gotta get me one!

19. exposinglife

exposinglife

Apr 12, 2007
    NC
    Right now, it's the only lens in my bag. I'll be adding a tele later, but the 35-70 f/2.8 is great.

The flare does bother me though. I just have to remember to keep the sun at my back for the most part. Other than that, it's perfect.