I'm mentally ill....

OK, I know that this is no surprise to those that know me, but read on.... 8)

I have spent a ton of $$$$ on cam gear in the last year, and I have a great set-up for shooting flying and posed birdies. I have a D2H (and a D70), a Nikkor 300 2.8, and all three type II TC's. I have a decent Manfrotto aluminum tripod, an Acratech Ultimate ball head, and a Wimberley Sidekick.

Why is it then that I want more?? Is it a sickness?? Is it shooter envy?? Is it heartburn?? :lol:

Here's what I want (in order):

500 f4 (or 200-400VR, or 400 f2.8 )
CF tripod
Markens M20
D2X

If I got them all (just one of the lenses), I'd be down another $11K to $12K.

I know I'm not the only one. Do we need an 'Equipment Anonymous' chapter here on the Cafe?? :?

Jeez.... :p

Frank

LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Hello my name is Frank.............I'm a Photoholic." :D :D :D :D

Gale, Harris, SteveS, Neil, Patrick, and many others in the Cafe......."Hello Frank".... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PGB

It is a sickness. It attacks the immune system of your bank account. :)

I'm in the same boat!

... and the twelve-step program begins with,

1) I have bought a deaprtment store point and shoot with a fixed lens to atone for my excesses.

Ahhhhhh !!!! Run away, run away !!!!

Franks, this is not mental illness, just overhelming enthusiasm :D :D
I'm in the same situation. After spending last year over 10K in digital photo equipment, I'm now lusting for

- a D2X
- a 500mm f/4 (or a Sigma 500mm f/4.5 or a Nikon 300mm AFS VR + TC17)
- a more sturdy carbon fiber Manfrotto tripod

So if we turn out to be fools, at least we are two friends in the same boat. :D

Flew said:
Frank,

And guess what ....

By the time you are done with above list, you will be looking at D4X ( :roll: ) full frame or whatever they will release next.

This is a vicious and never ending circle.

When I was buying my D70 w/ 70-200VR (*3K total) I never thought that I would be looking into D200 (?) and 200-400 6 months later :lol:

Jay Luto said:
This is a vicious and never ending circle.

When I was buying my D70 w/ 70-200VR (*3K total) I never thought that I would be looking into D200 (?) and 200-400 6 months later :lol:

Hey Jay,

I bought my D70 on 3/24/2004 (I also bought a 70-200VR at about the same time). I bought my D2H on 5/20/2004, and the 300 2.8 about 5 weeks later. Now that has to be a record for total lack of self control.... :?

Frank

Hey everybody, I feel much better now. I knew that there were a few more of me out there, but I never had any idea so many.... 8)

Don't know whether this is good or this is bad though.... :lol:

Frank

Flew said:

I have spent a ton of $$$$ on cam gear in the last year, and I have a great set-up for shooting flying and posed birdies. I have a D2H (and a D70), a Nikkor 300 2.8, and all three type II TC's. I have a decent Manfrotto aluminum tripod, an Acratech Ultimate ball head, and a Wimberley Sidekick.

Why is it then that I want more?? Is it a sickness?? Is it shooter envy?? Is it heartburn?? :lol:

CF tripod
Markens M20
D2X

I know I'm not the only one. Do we need an 'Equipment Anonymous' chapter here on the Cafe?? :?

Frank

We all need help!

Actually your wish list isn't far from mine, except I'd like a 600mm f/4 or the Sigma 300-800mm Zoom.

One question though, why do you want a Markins M20 when you've already got the Acratech? I don't get that one. From what I've read the Markins may, at the absolute most and only in some eyes, be very slightly better than the Acratech, if at all.

Oh and because I lag behind in the equipment stakes so badly, I also need a 1.4 TC, a 70-200mm VR, a digital wallet/portable hard drive, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Neil

Flew said:

I have spent a ton of $$$$ on cam gear in the last year, and ...snip... I want more?? Is it a sickness?? Is it shooter envy?? Is it heartburn??

Frank

Yes, I'm afraid you're terminally ill with "gadgitis maximus." There's no known cure. :cry:

My wish list:

TC17EII
28mm f/1.4
28mm-70mm f/2.8
D2X

I want it all NOW.

Sigh :roll:

Rich

NeilCam said:
Flew said:

CF tripod
Markens M20
D2X

Frank

We all need help!

Actually your wish list isn't far from mine, except I'd like a 600mm f/4 or the Sigma 300-800mm Zoom.

One question though, why do you want a Markins M20 when you've already got the Acratech? I don't get that one. From what I've read the Markins may, at the absolute most and only in some eyes, be very slightly better than the Acratech, if at all.

Oh and because I lag behind in the equipment stakes so badly, I also need a 1.4 TC, a 70-200mm VR, a digital wallet/portable hard drive, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Neil

See, now I heard that the new RRS BH-55 is the bestest and hottest new Ball Head around - I am lusting after it. :shock:

Whoa - sounds like you all are pretty sick.

I have absolutely NO problem WHATSOEVER with wanting more photo gear - As soon as I get my D2x, 200-400mm lens, D2x, RRS BH-545 Ballhead, D2x, 500mm f/4, D2x, 85mm f/1.4, D2x, 200mm f/4 micro, D2x, Gates underwater housing, D2x, LowePro Street & Field Vest/Harness, D2x, 300mm f/2.8 VR Lens, D2x, Sony HVR-Z1, D2x, and Nikon D2x I will be JUUUUUUST fine.

I have no problem. :shock: :roll: :oops: :?

Neil - the Acratech is a good ballhead, but bugs me in one way. I basically use it to hold my Sidekick, and because it has so many possible positions, it is hard to set at an exact 90 degree angle. With the Markens, I just have to drop it in the slot. I also like the Markens' silky smooth pan base (not that the Acratech is bad in that area).

Todd - I was wondering about that RRS ballhead. What have you heard about it? Do you think that it is better than the Markens M20?

Frank

Flew said:

CF tripod
Markens M20
D2X

Frank

Hey Frank,

It all sounds very reasonable to me. Nothing wrong with it at all. Quite normal, sane and reasonable. Now if you talk to my wife she'll tell you that we are both nuts. Linda is one of those folks who bought into that propaganda about 3 meals a day and saving for a rainy day. I will never understand her. :lol:

I don't have any hands on experience with any Ballhead except the B-3 from Kirk (which I love) but here are a few reviews I have read:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/the_bag/pauls_rrs_bh55/essay.html

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/rrs-bh55.shtml

John Shaw uses one also.

http://www.johnshawphoto.com/equipment.htm

Obviously all these Ball heads we are talking about are awesome well crafted high quality solutions - the differences I think are all just small personal usage differences mostly.

Frank there is comfort in numbers... I too have the same affliction, here is my order of thigns on my list
200-400VR
new ballhead
Wimberly head
D2X

You know waht is scary I ent out and bought a 250 GIG external drive on Friday and didnt even blink at 200.00 so not only do you wnat the gear other things dont even sound expensive anymore.

Flew said:
Neil - the Acratech is a good ballhead, but bugs me in one way. I basically use it to hold my Sidekick, and because it has so many possible positions, it is hard to set at an exact 90 degree angle. With the Markens, I just have to drop it in the slot. I also like the Markens' silky smooth pan base (not that the Acratech is bad in that area).

Todd - I was wondering about that RRS ballhead. What have you heard about it? Do you think that it is better than the Markens M20?

Frank

Ahhh okay Frank, that makes sense.

HRH Ron, The King of Reznick would be the royal personage to ask about the RRS I think. I'm pretty sure it was him (unless of course it wasn't in which case this post was never written) who posted recently on DPR about his new RRS ballhead.

Neil

Latest threads

Top Bottom