1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I'm not bad, just broke and hungry

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by rbsinto, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Taken downtown here in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. The sign tells it all.
    Nikon D3
    zoom-Nikkor 24~70 2.8 AF-S G ED
    2.8 @ 1/1000th ISO 200
    I_m_not_bad_just_broke_and_hungry-1920.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Good one, as always, Robert.

3. Powerful!

Curious, what film are you using in your D3? :D 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks Mike.
    Robert

5. Ah Nick,
    Which Film in my D3?
    You just kill me.
    Robert

6. An excellent shot Robert!

Film??? Nick, I thought the D3 took wet plates?

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    Robert, I have a suggested crop. May I lost it?

8. Lew,
    Of course. Your wise counsel is always welcome.
    Robert

9. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    Please excuse the image. I a working on a tablet with wonky editing capability.

Just dropping off some of the parts seem to emphasize his note's text and that people are walking by.

Screenshot_2018-09-16-07-08-53.

10. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    This crop is Very rough, but you get the idea, I hope.

11. Taking Lew's lead, here is a 2nd crop--I feel retaining parts of both people on the sidewalk makes them anonymous and puts the focus on the young man and his sign. And his head now has breathing room above it.

I_m_not_bad_just_broke_and_hungry-1920_DxO.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The image is well done and I like the original best. It shows the context much better.

13. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    I like the original best, the people walking by makes the photo for me.

14. The original has a slight edge for me for those reasons expressed by Jim and Rick.

15. A. & G.B.,
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Robert

16. Lew, Nick, Pa, Rick, Mike,
    As an aside, it is interesting that depending on where this was posted, the discussion is either crop suggestions or a philosophical discourse on worsening homelessness, especially in large cities. But I digress.
    The shot was not taken from the ideal vantage point as we were on the concrete sidewalk, and it hurts too much (four knee operations and no cartilage left) for me to get down low to shoot from the subject's position, so a squat was as good as I could do. I deliberately shot wide open to emphasize the subject, and throw the approaching person out of focus which would make them anonymous (or is it anominous??). The person walking away already was. My biggest problem was of course the crop. I tried a number including one that was essentially a compromise between Lew's and Nick's, which I rather liked, (and in retrospect still do) but felt that the inclusion of the two other figures somehow made the story more complete, so in the end went with it.
    There is no "right" answer, but just opinions and the two crops that were kindly suggested are both equally good solutions, and I thank you both for taking the time to suggest them, and to the others for commenting.
    Robert

17. I agree with Robert about retaining the broader scene, but would probably take out the bike on the far left. Homelessness has become a major issue in my area, from people sleeping on the streets to cars and campers. Too many families are one paycheck from the streets.

18. Yup, I agree with you both!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.