I'm out of ideas

Discussion in 'People' started by hoanginc, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Really I can't think of anything to shoot now. I feel hopeless as I run out of ideas for portraiture work. I already tried my hands at landscape, macro,... but deleted all the shots because I'm incapable of seeing a deeper meaning or artistic quality in them. Not only that as I'm looking at the photos I've taken, I realize I cannot tie these shots to my standard of portraiture. Before I format the hard drive and start over again, what are your suggestions?

2. post some samples??

3. Box up your camera stuff and send it to me?

4. I think that many of us go through that same cycle and you are not alone in that regard. I suggest that you challenge yourself and come up with a project to hone some new skills. One such project was undertaken by Stuart and Woody in hearkening back to the Hollywood glamor era to shoot some truly exciting images. Woody I think may have done some work like this before but I am fairly certain Stuart had not. It was challenging for him and completely out of his comfort zone. He produced some great work.

If you shoot primarily color, you might switch to black and white for a period. This again will challenge your perspective. Night shots are another area that could be explored. Keep at it and you will rekindle your interest and creativity.

5. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

ditto Gordon 100%. You might also take a trip to the Library and spend a day in the photography book section. Pour over as much as you can handle. I'm sure a lightbulb would go off.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ohhhhh sometimes I don't even want to see my camera
    and go shove it in the closet.
    Doesn't take long, someone says ,,ya wanna go shooin...
    Sureeeeeeeeeeeee
    lolol
    I always find something. I am will to shoot at anything. May not turn out, but what the heck, it was for fun

7. Everyone goes through this... just shoot your way out.

8. So I did a harddrive format this morning :Smoking: Right now I need some recommendations:

-New camera, my D70 feels like a tiny PnS (ok maybe I exaggerate it but it's really small for me)
    -New lenses, I decided that I would quit shooting for the school paper so I could sell all my lenses to get a dedicated portrait lens. I only need one good lens for portrait.

Also is the AB400 powerful enough for studio work? My budget is limited, I don't know if I could afford any lights after upgrading to a new camera and lens.

9. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!

Boy I can relate to this...I think we all can.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Seneca
    I went to the St Augustine rookery monday.
    I thought to myself, why..I have thousands of images of white birds. Don't even want to see another one.

Well here is one. Never got this shot the other 3 seasons.
    http://www.pbase.com/techwish/image/76616475
    So alls well that ends well

11. Guys, I'm thinking of trading my D70 and AF-S 80-200 for a D2H. Is D2H a good camera for portrait work? I know it's designed for sport use but how's the image quality in terms of portrait?