I'm ready for summer to end.

Real Name
Chris
b10.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If you lived in the northern part of the state, you wouldn't roast so much. You are probably well done by now. The photo looks like a scene from Oak Creek Canyon, a wonderful place to be in the summer. :smile:

Real Name
Chris
Thanks Ray, John, Gretchen, Michael, Jonathan, and Samuel! I appreciate the exposure and you comments very much!

This is about 15 miles North-Northeast of Payson along Forest Road 64 near the confluence of North Sycamore creek, Chase creek, and Dude creek which become the East Verde River at this point (specifically lat 34.378N, long 111.284W.) It was actually quite nice there, as the altitude is 5100 feet, well above the 116 degrees in Phoenix! We were out looking for geodes, which are plentiful in this area ... if you know where to look!

Real Name
Chris
There would b no water in that stream if it were in Phoenix. It is in the mountains to the north. Very nice there this time of year.:smile:
Actually Michael, ever since they dammed up the Salt for the Tempe Town Lake, we have been having year round water in the Salt. They even have several riparian areas maintained by the Rio Salado Project. Not to be confused with the Salt River Project, which is trying to raise our summer electric bills by 9%. Talk about predatory electricity!

ps, water from the East Verde flows into the Verde and then into the Salt River. So this water will eventually run down the Salt River which is a mile and a half behind my house in Phoenix. More likely it will evaporate before then, and come down in a thunderstorm.

Thanks Ray, John, Gretchen, Michael, Jonathan, and Samuel! I appreciate the exposure and you comments very much!

This is about 15 miles North-Northeast of Payson along Forest Road 64 near the confluence of North Sycamore creek, Chase creek, and Dude creek which become the East Verde River at this point (specifically lat 34.378N, long 111.284W.) It was actually quite nice there, as the altitude is 5100 feet, well above the 116 degrees in Phoenix! We were out looking for geodes, which are plentiful in this area ... if you know where to look!

Gotta watch out for the snakes! They look like geodes, too.

I knew it had to be north of Phoenix.

Pretty picture, even though the water looks eerily low...

We were out looking for geodes, which are plentiful in this area ... if you know where to look!

So they're somewhere else if you don't know where to look? Seems almost unfair.

Real Name
Chris
Tormod, that is a flood by AZ standards! Yes, the geodes are indeed somewhere else if you don't know where to look. They disguise themselves as ugly stones when people are around. Here is a picture of 'geode road' which is actually about a mile and a half from the creek:
b26.jpg

And here is a geode in it's natural state:
b25.jpg
The cavity however was quite small and contained only tiny poorly developed crystals. I will work on taking some close-ups of the cavities from the pieces we found. But (and that's a big but) they will be digital. The pictures, not the geodes.

Real Name
Chris
Yeah, that's why I'll use digital! The best one had red crystals with a yellow bubbly rock matrix. I wish I had a diamond saw, cause I open them by hitting them with a hammer!

Latest threads

Top Bottom