I'm really getting tired of Adobe Camera Raw constantly crashing!

Thanks, Ann! I used the Purge button in ACR Preferences and confirmed that doing so emptied the Cache2 folder. Is that sufficient or are you recommending that I also delete that folder? Or did you mean something else?
Leave the Folder in place.
Clearing the cache should simply have cleaned it out and it will refill itself in the background when you next use ACR

This is where the Camera Raw plug-in is stored on a Mac (it's probably somewhere similar in Windows/Roaming but I don't know that system):

Mac HD/Library / Application Support / Adobe / Plug-ins / CC / File Formats / Camera Raw.plugin.

You might try moving it into the trash (but do leave it there unemptied for the moment!)

Now restart and sign-in to ACC and see if you can now install Camera Raw.

Disclaimer: I have never done this and I have no idea if it works so do it at your own risk!
If it doesn't work, you can retrieve the old plug-in from your trash and put it back in its original place.

Disclaimer: I have never done this and I have no idea if it works so do it at your own risk!

Rather than do that, now that I've emptied the cache, I'll wait until the next time I use ACR in a situation when it typically crashes to see if it still crashes.

Actually, my workaround of regularly saving changes always works when I remember to use it; it's only when I forget to make the workaround happen that ACR crashes.

Last edited:
The one step at a time approach you are taking seems appropriate for the problem you are experiencing. By all accounts too much cloning/spotting can be a problem in ACR as it has not been designed for extensive ‘repair work’. Just how much is ‘too much’ is the question to which you may have found the answer 😉

Anyway, if with your recent actions you find no improvement you may want to check your settings for GPU acceleration and the state of your GPU driver.

GPU acceleration can have strange effects under certain circumstances. If enabled you may try disabling and running without to see what difference that makes - you may see options to use Auto, Custom or off.
I have only experienced this once in PS when editing a many layered document the screen turned black. Turning GPU acceleration off solved the problem!

GPU drivers should be checked to use current version and also that it is an approved Adobe card. Perhaps counter intuitive but if the driver recently updated it may be worth trying a roll back to your earlier version.

By all accounts too much cloning/spotting can be a problem in ACR as it has not been designed for extensive ‘repair work’. Just how much is ‘too much’ is the question to which you may have found the answer

One possibility is that the practical amount of extensive repair work that ACR can handle might be changing over time. I'm not doing any more repair work now than I've been doing for years, yet only recently that amount is problematic.

you may want to check your settings for GPU acceleration and the state of your GPU driver.

GPU acceleration can have strange effects under certain circumstances. If enabled you may try disabling and running without to see what difference that makes - you may see options to use Auto, Custom or off.
I have only experienced this once in PS when editing a many layered document the screen turned black. Turning GPU acceleration off solved the problem!

GPU drivers should be checked to use current version and also that it is an approved Adobe card. Perhaps counter intuitive but if the driver recently updated it may be worth trying a roll back to your earlier version.

Unfortunately, there are features in recent versions of ACR which are not available unless you have a fully-supported GPU and can activate it.

My out-dated GPU which was not recognised by ACR was one of the reasons why I re-built the hardware in my 2010 MacPro.

One way around the GPU issues if you can't change the internal unit had been to use an External GPU but I understand that Big Sur does not recognise external GPUs.

You might like to clear your ACR Cache because it may have become corrupt.
Adobe support forum has a recent report (Jan 2021) of ACR crashing. Person fixed it by turning off the GPU.

Neither purging the cache nor turning off the GPU solved the problem.

How much RAM does your computer have? And do you know how much ACR is using? And how much CPU is it using during the cloning?

My next step is to determine the answer to the last two questions, as I already know that the answer to the first question is 24GB of RAM.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Which brand of video card do you have? Do you know what version driver you have? Might need to update the drivers. In Capture One forums people have found outdated drivers to cause issues after software updates. They have also seen on Windows that using the NVidia Studio driver works better than the NVidia Game driver. I’m a Mac user so don’t know the process of checking all these things. Perhaps others can help out with that.

Which brand of video card do you have? Do you know what version driver you have? Might need to update the drivers.

I had all that information before my computer was attacked by malware a year or two ago. Now I don't know the information and have unsuccessfully tried to find it. The company used to automatically inform me of when new drivers were available, but that hasn't happened in a long time. Perhaps my card is no longer supported. I'll check into this after I complete the next step explained in my previous post.

EDIT: The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 730.

The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 730.

I suspect you'll need more than drivers. You're at least a couple of generations overdue for a replacement, so consider it if other options don't solve your issues.

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken
I am assuming that this happening with all files and not just certain ones. Just wanted to rule out file corruption.

--Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom