I'm really getting tired of Adobe Camera Raw constantly crashing!

Neither purging the cache nor turning off the GPU solved the problem.
Once changes are made in preferences PS needs to be closed and restarted for them to take effect, did you follow that procedure?

I had made an assumption you would have trashed preferences and restarted PS. Have you done this?
Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) as you start PS. At the prompt choose delete the current settings. Next time PS started a new preference file will be created

Have you checked that you have the latest graphics driver for your GPU or considered the possibility of a corrupted driver and taken action to uninstall, reboot and install again?

With all that checked and confirmed it may well be indicative of either stopping doing clean up in ACR and after raw basics completed go to PS to clean up etc. or looking to upgrade your card. Adobe recommendation minimum is that most cards manufactured after 2014 with 2GB RAM should work

Once changes are made in preferences PS needs to be closed and restarted for them to take effect, did you follow that procedure?

I closed and restarted ACR but I never closed PS. I'll do that.

I had made an assumption you would have trashed preferences and restarted PS. Have you done this?
Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) as you start PS. At the prompt choose delete the current settings. Next time PS started a new preference file will be created

Is there a way to make this happen without losing my current settings and having to manually recreate them?

Have you checked that you have the latest graphics driver for your GPU or considered the possibility of a corrupted driver and taken action to uninstall, reboot and install again?

No, I haven't done any of that for reasons explained earlier you probably missed. I'm going to download a new driver per Richard's explanation. See my previous post.

With all that checked and confirmed it may well be indicative of either stopping doing clean up in ACR and after raw basics completed go to PS to clean up etc. or looking to upgrade your card. Adobe recommendation minimum is that most cards manufactured after 2014 with 2GB RAM should work

Understood. Thanks!

Last edited:
Is there a way to make this happen without losing my current settings and having to manually recreate them?
It is not possible to trash your preference file without losing your current settings. Just make a note of them, I cannot imagine that you will have changed too much or just use until you see that something is not how you like then alter again

No, I haven't done any of that for reasons explained earlier you probably missed. I'm going to download a new driver per Richard's explanation. See my previous post.
OK, but I did touch on replacing your driver in post #24 or if you had done recently then consider a roll back to previous

Anyway good luck

A full two months after everyone generously offered their helpful advice, I finally got around to acting on it. I dread doing this stuff and sometimes put it off, especially if I have a workaround. About a week after discussion last took place in this thread, I indeed came upon a workaround when I realized ACR only crashed upon changing the viewing magnification from 100% to fitting the image within the window; the crash occurred after both using the Heal tool a lot and then reducing the magnification, not after doing just one or the other. So, my workaround after using the Heal tool a lot was to save the image (rather than change the magnification), load the image again, and continue with my workflow.

I just now tried installing what I thought was the latest Studio driver for my card at the suggestion of @Growltiger. The installation setup displayed a message indicating that it isn't compatible with my version of Windows, which is Windows 10 2004 Build 19041.867. The display also provided a link to a different driver that would be compatible -- GeForce Experience Version 3.21.0.36.

I installed that other driver and, after initial testing, it seems to have solved the problem. My test included displaying an image at 100%, using ACR's Heal tool 100 times, and returning the display of the image to a magnification that automatically fits the window. ACR didn't crash and I have every reason to believe it would have crashed when using the earlier driver.

Thanks again for everyone's help! I'll keep my fingers crossed that this new driver indeed solves my problem. Otherwise, I'll also get back to other solutions that were offered in the thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom