I'm really getting tired of Adobe Camera Raw constantly crashing!

Recently ACR has been crashing when I do a lot of cloning at 100% to eliminate tiny objects such as dust. It has gotten so bad that I do the cloning last, save the file, reopen it, and clone portions of the image, saving and reopening quite often until all of the cloning is complete.

Every time it crashes, I click the button that sends a report.

This is partly rant -- OK, mostly a rant -- and partly to give others the heads up about this seemingly persistent issue that has surfaced in about the last month or so.

Windows 10

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Is ACR perhaps getting backed up because of trying to process a lot of changes made very quickly?

I've not had this problem with ACR, thankfully. But since all my image go from ACR to PS, I often use a separate layer in PS. You can use both the clone and healing brush tools on a single layer. Then some contrast work and then a layer for output sharpening and I'm done.

Real Name
Ken
Recently ACR has been crashing when I do a lot of cloning at 100% to eliminate tiny objects such as dust. It has gotten so bad that I do the cloning last, save the file, reopen it, and clone portions of the image, saving and reopening quite often until all of the cloning is complete.

Every time it crashes, I click the button that sends a report.

This is partly rant -- OK, mostly a rant -- and partly to give others the heads up about this seemingly persistent issue that has surfaced in about the last month or so.

Windows 10
How much RAM does your computer have? And do you know how much ACR is using? And how much CPU is it using during the cloning?

--Ken

Is ACR perhaps getting backed up because of trying to process a lot of changes made very quickly?

Sometimes ACR understandably takes time to process all of them. However, it has never crashed during that process; it always crashes after all the clones have been processed. I never move the image to a new area until all the clones in the current area have been processed.

Do all pixel based adjustments, cloning or healing in PS, never did find either ACR or lightroom to do agreat job. Just set up a blank layer in PS and round trip if you must finish in ACR or LR.

Haven’t had any problems but then only open ACR from a PS smart object within PS.

Do all pixel based adjustments, cloning or healing in PS

I've never had any problem using ACR to do the cloning until recently. It was fast, effective and eliminated the need to create another file format, as all my adjustments are saved in the RAW file created either by the camera or the focus-stacking software.

I use PS only for its capabilities that ACR doesn't have.

Real Name
Ken
In order of your questions: 24GB RAM. No, and I wouldn't know how to determine that. I also wouldn't know how to determine that.
The RAM is fine and @MortyCapp mentioned how to monitor the other two. Are you using the most current version, and have you had any updates recently? and are you using a graphics card in your machine? These are the areas where one would normally look based on your descriptions.

--Ken

Thank you to Morty and Ken!

Are you using the most current version, and have you had any updates recently? and are you using a graphics card in your machine? These are the areas where one would normally look based on your descriptions.

I'm using the most current version.

There have been updates but this problem occurred quite awhile ago during the period of an earlier version. Then it stopped happening. Then it began happening again about two or three weeks ago. During this most recent period, ACR was updated. That in itself means the problem has been occurring while using the two most recent versions.

I'm using the same graphics card that has been used all along when everything was working fine.

There is one other possibility you didn't mention -- that it could be caused by a bug in the software.

The easy solution is to stop doing what is causing you pain, and the pain will stop.

Using that logic, I should stop using software; I can't remember using software that at sometime didn't develop a bug. I suspect it is a bug that is causing my problem or a redesign of the software that under performs the previous design when used in my application of it.

That type of editing is much better done in a pixel editor (PS), you have far more control.

For that type of editing, my experience is that it's far faster to use ACR than PS. You might have to see the type of editing I'm referring to, as few people here at the Cafe would have extensive experience doing it. That's because of the type of tabletop photography I do and the environment where I capture the photos. Not at all a typical situation most people would be aware of.

Last edited:
I use ACR as part of my PS workflow every day. Never had an issue. Not once.

I would be willing to bet that you don't use it the way I use it. That's because you don't do the type of photography that I do. So, it's no surprise that your experience is not the same as mine. Moreover, I didn't experience this issue until relatively recently. That's despite that I've been using it the same way for years on the same machine.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom