1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I'm returning my D90

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by nht800, Oct 2, 2008.

1. nht800

nht800

Aug 26, 2008
    Missouri, USA
    I just got RMA number for returning my new arrive D90 + 18-105 VR outfit.

My personal thought is that:
    - 18-105 VR is much inferior to my 16-85
    - D90 video : not impressive, much less quality than my Sony DVD camcorder while I view clips on my computer although I did not try or buy D90 because its video function.
    - D90 body: I have not much time to test and explore through out, just 60 clicks with it, and my initial thought is that it's not noticeable improvement from my D80 regarding image quality. Its high ISO performance is quite good but I rarely shoot above 1250 ISO.
    -I know D90 must be better than my D80 but the improvement is not worth for $500. I will save this amount for lens instead.
    -So I decided to return the outfit and wait until I can afford for D300 or D700.
    - I think if I were in camera shopping again, an used under 7000 clicks D80 for $500 USD would be a bargain for me.
    -Now, my love of D80 is coming back with me.
    -Please don't blame me. This is my personal experience and point-of-view, just want to share.
    D90 is just not for me.

2. D300 will have have the same image quality, so may not be worth it to you.

Although the FX sensor will give you slightly more natural colour tones, the IQ at low ISO will still be similar, these bodies shine at the high ISO's

3. sjd996

sjd996

Sep 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The D90 and D300 us the same sensor, so if you're not happy with the D90, then you won't be with the D300 either.

At low ISO's, most modern DSLR's are very, very good, there is not that much room to improve. A D700 won't be much of an improvement either there.

At low ISO's, more resolution may help (but will give bigger files). Nikon doesn't currently offer anything over 12.3 Mp in a DSLR, but others do.

Better lenses may help (sharpness, contrast, colors, distortion), but again, the improvements may not be huge.

What exactly are you looking for in image quality?

4. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    To me it sounds like you probably shouldn't have ordered it in the first place, since the main areas where it improves on your existing camera are areas you don't care about. Wise choice returning it. If you're saving for the D300, make sure you're doing it for features. If the image quality of the D90 didn't impress you enough to keep it, the D300 isn't likely to either. If it's the added features and better build, then by all means save away or get a D200 if that provides what you need.

5. according to the rave reviews around here regarding the d200's low-iso IQ, i actually second this idea. arent new d200's the same price as a new d90??

6. nht800

nht800

Aug 26, 2008
    Missouri, USA
    Thank you all for your advices.

7. nht800

nht800

Aug 26, 2008
    Missouri, USA
    Wow..I must be mistake. I thought D300 use bigger sensor than D90.:confused: 

8. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Yeah, that's the D700 with the big sensor. Just like the D60, D80 and D200 share the same sensor, the D300 and the D90 share the same sensor.

9. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    That would be the (much more expensive) D700. Between the 90 and the 300 they're not only the same size but pretty much variations on the same part.

10. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I have to chime in. I upgraded from a D80 to a D300 and was EXTREMELY happy with the noticeable IQ improvement and high ISO improvement. I would not think that the D90 would have the same IQ and high ISO quality as the D300. Otherwise, one of the 2 wouldn't exist.

11. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    If your focus is on higher ISOs the difference is going to be quite noticable. At low ISO you're going to be approaching hair-splitting.
    That's sort of a ridiculous claim. Other than being able to shoot 14 bit raw with the d300 and having another year or so of development in the processing for the D90, there's no reason to think they'd be particularly different. The D90 uses a revised/updated version of the sensor in the D300, so if anything it could be a touch better at certain things (absent 14-bit capability). The differences between the two bodies are quite substantial, and have little to nothing to do with image quality. There's certainly much more to a camera than "IQ and high-ISO quality."

12. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto

Just becausee it's a higher model number doesn't mean it takes better pictures. I had the D80, took great pics, just crappy ISO. I 've had the D300 since it came out and I now also have the D90 since it came out. IQ is the same if not a little better then the D300.

13. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

I also have a D80 and D300. While the D80 takes fantastic pictures, I think the D300 makes it easier to take fantastic pictures from a wider range of parameters once you understand ALL the capabilities of the camera.

As with any camera, the expertise of the photographer makes the real difference.

14. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    If you bought the D90 for the video capabilities, then you really should have spent the money on an HD camcorder.
    The D90, for me, just isn't practical.

15. Speed3

Speed3

Sep 29, 2008
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I upgraded from a D80 to a D90 and there are numerous upgrades between the two especially for another $500. I will have to disagree on video quality, there are over 500 D90 videos on Vimeo.com already and some would blow your mind to think that and SLR filmed that. Video is just an add on to a splendid camera, if video is what your looking for then pre-order a Scarlet.

16. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    A Scarlet?

17. Speed3

Speed3

Sep 29, 2008
    Oklahoma City, OK
  18. Tibian

Tibian Guest

Thanks for your comments on the D90 and the D80. I considered the D90 or the D80. But purchased a new D80 body for $925 (AUD). I have a D40, and loved it as my first DSLR, and learned a lot about digital photography from it. But I'm having fun with the D80 and its various buttons and features. So, I've made my first step-up from the D40 to the D80.
    What body next time?

19. There seems to be a lack of agreement on the IQ of D300 vs D90. Ken Rockwell says the D90 is as good or better, Dpreview in its recent review says the D300 is better and that the D90 is not a cut price D300. Pick who you want to believe, although Ken is the one who manages to generate a lot more controversy. Video is definitely going to be standard on all high end DSLR's, but I think I would skip the first generation of that technology. I am sure that there have been some great creative efforts with the D90, but no AV or auto WB sounds to me like Nikon is saving something for the D3x or D300 successor.

20. hawley088

hawley088

Sep 9, 2008
    PA
    d40 to d90 user here!

d90 is amazing! as is the high iso performance. i just dont get why people use the video option as an excuse to not get it. ITS NOT LIKE THE CAMERA FORCES YOU TO TAKE VIDEO

ive used it once and that was just to try it out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.