I'm sooooo frustrated with adobe right now... My head is about to explode!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stayathomedad, Aug 26, 2008.

1. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    I recently shot a wedding, and now I want to create a private proof website for the B&G.

I open up PSE6 (stay with me people...) and select to create a web photo gallery. I select the folder containing the 1180 photos and let it run.

After it finished processing (which took some time), I noticed there's only 1088 photos in the gallery... So perhaps I didn't select all of them... ok, that's an easy fix... NOT!

Come to find out, PS randomly didn't process some of the files... I'm talking RANDOM files were not processed...

I started to go though them, but stopped at 0230 because I realized it was going to take FOREVER...

Here's a list of the non-processed images up to 0230

0088-0096
    0108-0118
    0134-0140
    0169-0174
    0182-0193
    0212-0223
    0236​

I mean, are you kidding me?

The only reason I knew this was because I looked at how many were processed... I would have totally missed this if I wasn't focused and paying attention.

This is the second time I've had this happen... So now I dumped the whole lot and just started processing them in batches of 100... and GUESS WHAT, the first batch is missing an image... UGH!

Any ideas on why PSE6 would randomly skip files?

ANY IDEAS?

UGH!

2. I don't have an answer to your PSE6 problem but I can't help but ask why you are not culling down those photos to
    a manageable number?
    If I were the happy couple I would not even want to begin making selections from that many proofs.:eek:

I'd consider culling it down to a couple hundred or so good ones... I'll bet you sell more that way.:smile:

Don

3. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    it was a family wedding... they paid me 600 bucks... first real wedding gig... not looking for any other payment from prints... giving them digital copies of everything...

i DID cut them down... from about 2000 images... took out about 800 or so...

4. 1180 is going to be a HUGE online gallery. A few suggestions: create folders, Bride and groom, Bride and girls, groom and guys, ceremony, wedding party, family, reception events (cake cutting, garter/bouquet, first dance, toast) and reception candids. Move the images into the appropriate folders and create a web gallery from each folder. Also, are you using the full sized files to create the gallery? Or does PSE downsize them when making the gallery? Try reducing them before creating the gallery with an action, or a program like Breeze Browser.

5. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    ok... you caught me... wasn't telling the whole truth... I thought I would simply things so I wouldn't have to explain everything...

I'm creating a web photo gallery, and then grabbing the images out of the gallery and burning a disk for the B&G to take home and import into iPhoto... then they can take their time 5 starring the one's the like...

Does that make sense?

I'm only using the web photo gallery route so I can easily get them jpg, 800px, and a quality of 8...

6. fivegrand

fivegrand Guest

In an attempt to actually answer your question rather than tell you how to run your life, do the images that were skipped open without errors? Anything particularly odd about the files or exif info and such that might confuse the app?

7. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska

None at all... totally random... The only thing that's happened is that they were all imported and then starred in bridge... that is it... there is nothing unique about the skipped files compared to the one's that were processed.

Between batches 2 and 9, I did have two files skipped... Once again, totally random images...

8. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Since they are going to look at them in iPhoto, just burn the whole kaboodle on to a DVD and let them have it. iPhoto will do the rest anyway.

Carole

9. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    The "whole kaboodle" is just over 23Gb... and I would rather their system not have to deal with 2000 13Mb files when 150Kb files work just fine...

:smile:

10. You are having memory errors. Some of your your RAM is going bad. Try running memtest to check. You are using a pretty ancient version with some serious memory leaks as well.

As far as the resizing goes, you need to create actions and/or a droplet Not sure PS6 has droplets). Doing it the way you are is taking a great deal longer than it should. You are basically using a brick to put in a drywall screw.

TPM

11. I wonder if you could have a virus that's accessing your memory while you're trying to process the photos. Have you done a virus sweep lately?

12. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    No, he is using psE6, not PS6.

13. Use JAlbum. It's free

That will resize and create a web gallery for you out of jpgs.

14. I believe he is using a Mac, not a Windows machine.

15. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    Jalbum no like NEFs from D300...

16. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Are you using a Mac or a PC?

17. So you have 1180 NEF files, and you want to convert them and resize them to 800 pixels across?

Again, I suggest Breeze browser pro. It is around 50 bucks last time I checked and the newest version I am pretty sure supports D300 files.

I cannot comment on how well it does in the conversion, but it sounds like you are just looking to get the files converted SOOC. Which it shoud do just fine. It will batch the whole job, allowing you to choose JPEG compression amount, pixel size, specify USM settings, and much more.

18. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    mac

19. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska

I've used the breeze browser program before... It works fine for what it does...

But that's not the point!

One shouldn't have to purchase another program to replace the functionality that's already built into the adobe product being currently used!

PSE6 (and PS CS3 for that matter) already has the functionality I need... And I believe the code for both adobe products are the same in this area of the program...

20. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    So throw them into iPhoto and export them as jpgs in whatever size you want.

Carole