I'm spec'ing a new desktop computer.....

Only IF the software can use it.
Not all sw will make use of all the cores.
Presumably the newer ones do, but better to ask the sw company.

Some sw will make use of the graphics processor for additional processing power.
Check if your does, and if so, you may benefit from a decent graphics card.

RAM will make a difference.
At least 16GB, more would be better.
Check with the sw company for their recommendation.

You also want a SSD for the system drive, and the scratch drive for the HDR and pano sw.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Some sw will make use of the graphics processor for additional processing power.

You also want a SSD for the system drive, and the scratch drive for the HDR and pano sw.
Thanks! I'll go at least 32 gm of RAM. PS is (the last I knew) was more RAM dependent than processor dependent.

I'm getting a 1 TB SSD for the C: drive

My biggest decisions at the moment are the motherboard and Intel vs AMD CPU..... I'm reading that Intel is better at supporting Thunderbolt....and a bit more stable than AMD....

I seem to remember reading that Thunderbolt is an Intel chipset (developed with Apple) that uses USB-C for thunderbolt v3.
AMD uses USB-C but not the Intel/Apple thunderbolt interface.
In short, if you must have or desire thunderbolt it has to be Intel (for a windows PC).
This expains it better than I did:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)
CORRECTION: it seems that Intel is opening thunderbolt to AMD, in the future it will be easier to find m'board with Ryzen and Thunderbolt.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-intel-certified-thunderbolt-3

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen

I'm learning about SSDs........ SATA and NVMe.... Since I keep all my data on 3 internal HD's, an NVMe SSD for the C: may not give me that increase....but then it should make running software faster.....I think....

I'm learning about SSDs........ SATA and NVMe.... Since I keep all my data on 3 internal HD's, an NVMe SSD for the C: may not give me that increase....but then it should make running software faster.....I think....
SSD for the system drive C: is a must today.
If only for one thing.
The blasted Windows updates take a LOT LOT longer to run on a spinning HD than a SSD.​
My wife's computer is like a new computer after I replaced the HD with a SSD. Start up is FASTER and she does not have the "go have dinner" wait, when the computer has to update.

If PS uses a scratch drive, point it to the SSD.
Although reading and writing a photo file is not as bad as the processing of the image.
Although like anything, fixing the weak link just exposes the next weak link in the chain.

If you have HUGE files or MANY files to deal with like HDR and panos, then a temporary work area on the SSD may work better that a HD. I don't have any experience to comment with any knowledge.

The issue with SSD vs HD is cost. Storage costs more with a SSD than a HD, so the bulk of the library should be on HDs.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Slow down.
Going too fast is a sure way to make a mistake.
This will be a custom build by Puget Computer Systems. I am working with them on the specs. They built my last computer and I've been extremely satistfied with the build and their lifetime support. I simply want to get knowledgeable enough to ensure I understand the pro's and con's of the various HW choices. The new PC will meet my needs for 8-10 years....!

This will be a custom build by Puget Computer Systems. I am working with them on the specs. They built my last computer and I've been extremely satistfied with the build and their lifetime support. I simply want to get knowledgeable enough to ensure I understand the pro's and con's of the various HW choices. The new PC will meet my needs for 8-10 years....!
I "try" to do that, but MicroSoft has constantly screwed up that plan.
Few of my older computers are stuck on XP, they won't install/run anything newer. And MS has dropped support of XP.
My laptop is stuck on Win7, no drivers for Win10. And MS will be ending support on Win7 soon.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Few of my older computers are stuck on XP, they won't install/run anything newer. And MS has dropped support of XP.
My laptop is stuck on Win7, no drivers for Win10. And MS will be ending support on Win7 soon.
My current computer has served me extremely well for 8 years. I chose higher end specs when it was built.....and it still performs extremely well.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Your motherboard is designed for NVMe SSDs. That is definitely what you should be getting.
M.2 connection I presume and not a SATA connection. GEEZ! My head is swimming with CPU, motherboard, RAM, etc research! LOL! However, I think a phone call with Puget will help nail things down.

Not sure how important Thunderbolt is for my use of PS, Aurora, and DxO.....

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Windows 7 support ended already, on January 14.
I'm surprised you can't run your laptop on Win 10, assuming you are running Win 7 64 bit.
Generally Win 7 drivers work fine under Win 10, regardless of the failure of many laptop manufacturers to tell you that (they don't tell you because they don't bother to test their old products and want you to buy a new one.)
For example my 10 year old laptop runs fine with the latest Win 10, despite having to use old video drivers from Win 7. The manufacturer says Win 10 is not supported.
Why not do a system backup and then try it. I hate to see perfectly good older machines die before their time (but I have little sympathy for your ancient XP 32bit machines).

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
M.2 connection I presume and not a SATA connection. GEEZ! My head is swimming with CPU, motherboard, RAM, etc research! LOL! However, I think a phone call with Puget will help nail things down.

Not sure how important Thunderbolt is for my use of PS, Aurora, and DxO.....
Yes of course, M.2. (My board has two M.2 connectors.) Brilliant technology.

I can't feel any interest in Thunderbolt, why do you think you want it? I can't see what difference it would make to your use of those programs. In the past it was primarily used by Apple for various reasons, but USB-C does an excellent job and is now standard all over the place (my camera, phone and computer all use USB-C).

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Yes of course, M.2. (My board has two M.2 connectors.) Brilliant technology.

I can't feel any interest in Thunderbolt, why do you think you want it? I can't see what difference it would make to your use of those programs. In the past it was primarily used by Apple for various reasons, but USB-C does an excellent job and is now standard all over the place (my camera, phone and computer all use USB-C).
My new laptop has Thunderbolt and I will plug the 2 external Samsung T5 SSDs into the Thunderbolt ports and then be able to save photos off the XQD cards to the Samsung T5 SSDs. Hopefully that will give me quicker back up of my photo files when traveling.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom