I'm spec'ing a new desktop computer.....

Backups are nice when you have a failure, totally agreed.
But nice to not build-in a wearout issue on your critical boot drive.
A 500GB NVMe is under $100.
Cheap insurance.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
@FredAzinger and @Ann_JS -

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to share so much information with me!!!!!!!! Puget is now taking a look at the configuration and we will talk again tomorrow and hopefully finalize the order!!!!

Fred - what do you mean by "temps"? Is that just the files you are working on at the time? And when you finish processing them you save them to one of the other internal HDs?

Fred - Ann:

I assume you sequence the scratch disk in the PS preferences file?

Any pertinent settings you use in ACR/Bridge/PS other than the Scratch disk sequence?

TEMPS are a generic name for all the temporary storage locations in a PC for the OS and YOUR WORKFLOW.
They include the Windows page file, the TMP and TEMP global variables.
I choose to target my Download library there too.
Plus all the cache/temp/work-spaces used by your tools. DXO has it's cache, PS has it's "Scratch Disk", etc.. Lots of tools have their own - you need to search their setups.
All these "scratch pad" locations get a lot of rd/wr traffic that adds up in processing time if they are located on spinning media or even a SATA-connected SSD.

I drive those all to a unique SSD that is fast and if/when it dies from the abuse, I've lost nothing. That is my "TEMP" dive and is a 500GB NVMe SSD - it was a 1TB SATA SSD in my previous machine.

After a shoot, I move the camera output to the "WORK" drive -- another 500GB NVMe drive for that purpose.
I then move the finished work off of that to the HDD mirrors when I'm done processing that photo shoot.

The "WORK" SSD is new in my workflow with this machine. I used to go straight from XQD to HDD then work from the final directory there. Using the intermediate SSD is another part of my planned speed-up during my workflow as all images are now coming and going to superfast storage.

I could have just put in one SSD for WORK and TEMP usage in this case. Was a coin flip.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
TEMPS are a generic name for all the temporary storage locations in a PC for the OS and YOUR WORKFLOW.
They include the Windows page file, the TMP and TEMP global variables.
I choose to target my Download library there too.
Plus all the cache/temp/work-spaces used by your tools. DXO has it's cache, PS has it's "Scratch Disk", etc.. Lots of tools have their own - you need to search their setups.
All these "scratch pad" locations get a lot of rd/wr traffic that adds up in processing time if they are located on spinning media or even a SATA-connected SSD.

I drive those all to a unique SSD that is fast and if/when it dies from the abuse, I've lost nothing. That is my "TEMP" dive and is a 500GB NVMe SSD - it was a 1TB SATA SSD in my previous machine.

After a shoot, I move the camera output to the "WORK" drive -- another 500GB NVMe drive for that purpose.
I then move the finished work off of that to the HDD mirrors when I'm done processing that photo shoot.

The "WORK" SSD is new in my workflow with this machine. I used to go straight from XQD to HDD then work from the final directory there. Using the intermediate SSD is another part of my planned speed-up during my workflow as all images are now coming and going to superfast storage.

I could have just put in one SSD for WORK and TEMP usage in this case. Was a coin flip.
Thanks so much for the more details explanation. With your help, I'm now getting really excited about a new computer!!!!! We will VERY soon be going to Tanzania and I sure hope I bring home lots of images to process! LOL! I'm hoping that by ordering the new PC before we leave, it will be arriving soon after we return.

I'm pretty jazzed about my new machine - it's only been in use for a week.
Wanted it built, tested and loaded with all the latest revisions of the tools I need.
All tweaked and ready to go BEFORE heading to our next Africa trip this summer.

Note that it took me the better part of a week to move 10TB and install & tweak all the tools.
But I did a backup and restore from backup for images and docs -- not moving HDD's.
I'm sick of searching-for and typing-in 30-letter activation codes.

Win7, a lack of storage and the promise of more and bigger NEF files to process pushed me over the edge.

If all goes to plan, I'll spend >10k hours using this machine - so I figure it's worth getting something "HOT."
Enjoying my screamer for now ;-)
You'll love yours.

Have a great time in Tanzania - looking forward to your pictures.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts. When SSDs were a relatively new thing, conventional wisdom warned against letting your scratch and/or pagefile reside on one. Then a tech site helped dispel that notion by running a test where they basically pounded a group of drives into oblivion by performing continual writes to the point of failure. A couple of observations from the test: 1) The majority of the devices lasted far longer than anticipated and 2) the idea that a drive which can no longer be written to will fail in read-only mode is a myth. None of the failed drives could be read.

EDIT: Added a link above to the test referenced, SSD Endurance Experiment. The page is the introduction and it includes links to all the updates that followed. In total. the drives functioning at the end had amassed over 2 petabytes of writes, a fairly amazing number. This is an old test but still relevant. Technology has improved but, in some cases, the memory cells in today's drives are less robust than they were back then, so their life expectancy may be compromised. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I urge anyone concerned about the health of their disk to download this program that shows you very simply how it is doing. This reveals the SMART data held within every drive.
Download the standard version, I prefer the green one (the other one shows Blue/Amber/Red which may be better for those who are colour blind.)
https://crystalmark.info/en/
For SSDs it shows how much of the SSD is still working. I had a very early SSD that went down to 96%. My current, modern SSDs are all at 100% still.
For rotating disks if it goes Amber, it is time to replace it before it goes to Red and loses data.

Why not run it once a month like I do.
It is a shame that neither Windows not macOS have this built in. They could make it run once a day and warn users if the disks are starting to fail.

S.M.A.R.T. means Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology.
This is the Wikipedia article explaing what SMART is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.
As I said - in my last machine I used a 1TB SATA SSD - I Samsung 850 EVO, I believe - and it ran as TEMP for everything for 6 years. Worked fine, but don't know how healthy it actually is as I've not looked at the SMART entry for it (and it might be old enough not to support SMART)

But - like I said - I DON'T want to burden a critical BOOT disk with swap/temp activity. If your "C drive fails you're got some hoops to jump beyond just restoring a backup (how do you move it the backup if your machine won't boot....) If my temp fails, I'll get a nastygram from my apps telling me they don't like their temp storage and I need to move it or replace it....easy....
For under $100, why not move all the wear to the throw-away.

Kinda like downshifting or braking -- brakes are cheap and user-replaceable, clutches, not so much. Use the brakes.

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Most laptops excepting the lowest cost ones come with an SSD as thier only drive. Solid state drives are generally considered more reliable than spinning disks. Smart phones, tablets and higher end desktop computers come with SSD storage. High end servers use solid state disks. Buy quality storage and enjoy it!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
....... If your "C drive fails you're got some hoops to jump beyond just restoring a backup (how do you move it the backup if your machine won't boot....) ........
Based on Richard's wise advice, I use Macrium to make images of my C:. I also used Macrium to create a bootable CD/DVD. With guidance (cuz I don't know this stuff!) I modified the BIOS to ask me what to do if there was a bootable drive in my CD/DVD drive. I recently swapped out a 250 GB SSD for a new 500 GB SSD. I used the bootable CD/DVD, then point the software to my recent image and used that image to populate the new larger SSD. Worked like a charm.

HOWEVER, Puget will do a clean install of Windows as part of the build. So I will have to download individually my apps....... At least I have all the serial numbers and many are registered on-line which will make it easier.

I only have one SSD (it's in a PCI slot) and my other four internals are all spinning HDDs.
Everything is backed-up to off-line HDDs so if any drive fails, it is very easy to copy data back from a back-up.

I think that a lot of the tremendous increase in speed which I have witnessed since doing my re-build is entirely due to making the 2 TB SSD into my boot-drive and moving all my caches and my primary Ps Scratch to that drive as well.

As Bill pointed out, laptops only have a single internal SSD so it is being used for Scratch anyway. My laptop is now in its sixth year and the 500 GB SSD inside it still seems to be fine and it gets pretty heavy use.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
HOWEVER, Puget will do a clean install of Windows as part of the build. So I will have to download individually my apps....... At least I have all the serial numbers and many are registered on-line which will make it easier.
Whenever I download software I always add the download file to a software library, together with a readme.txt file I add giving any serial numbers and advice to myself about installing it. That way it is easy to reinstall or add the software to another machine (subject to licensing).
Of course in some cases like Adobe, their program controls all the downloads. But it is very helpful in most cases. I read of people losing software because they don't have the software or serial numbers. (But I know you are disciplined and won't have a problem.)

Timely real world example - I just read an article saying Tesla's were dying (tow truck time) due to all the data logging wearing out the FLASH memory that also holds the code for the car. Out of warranty repair cost is $1,800 to $3k depending on your location.

Flash wear is real. SSD controllers hide it as best as possible, but can not hold off the inevitable.
This is why my temp is on it's own SSD.

I was able to give my machine a proper workout the other night and was very pleased.
I shot a home HS Basketball game with my D500 which gave me a large batch of pictures to develop.

I needed PRIME for the usual gym cave lights and since it was home court I could have my favorite spots that yield with little cropping and application of a custom preset so my touch-time per image was low. Thus I could crank through the images quickly and try to stack up the develop queue as deep as possible. Then I would watch how long it would take to flush the queue.

Not scientific, but gut feel is the only thing I have since the old machine is retired.
I ended dumping 131 images to the queue.
In the past the old [state of the art for it's time] I-9 would churn on the export queue, pegging all 8/16 cores/threads for well over an hour beyond the time I finished inputting edits.

I was thrilled with the results.

Although these were only 21MP raw files the machine pretty much kept up with me and I was going fast!
It finished flushing the queue just about 3 minutes behind me - fantastic!

The curious part of this was the CPU load never went about ~35% on the 3950X when it would hit the I-9 at 100%. I'll need to look at this more and maybe more of the code shifted from CPU to GPU as I'm also comparing DXO-v2 to DXO-v3. Version 3 would not install on Win7 so I'm can't compare apples to apples.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I was able to give my machine a proper workout the other night and was very pleased.
I shot a home HS Basketball game with my D500 which gave me a large batch of pictures to develop.

I needed PRIME for the usual gym cave lights and since it was home court I could have my favorite spots that yield with little cropping and application of a custom preset so my touch-time per image was low. Thus I could crank through the images quickly and try to stack up the develop queue as deep as possible. Then I would watch how long it would take to flush the queue.

Not scientific, but gut feel is the only thing I have since the old machine is retired.
I ended dumping 131 images to the queue.
In the past the old [state of the art for it's time] I-9 would churn on the export queue, pegging all 8/16 cores/threads for well over an hour beyond the time I finished inputting edits.

I was thrilled with the results.

Although these were only 21MP raw files the machine pretty much kept up with me and I was going fast!
It finished flushing the queue just about 3 minutes behind me - fantastic!

The curious part of this was the CPU load never went about ~35% on the 3950X when it would hit the I-9 at 100%. I'll need to look at this more and maybe more of the code shifted from CPU to GPU as I'm also comparing DXO-v2 to DXO-v3. Version 3 would not install on Win7 so I'm can't compare apples to apples.
Previously, I would find Aurora choking when I was combining 5-7 raw D850 files for an HDR. All 6 cores would be working hard and the CPU would hover between 90 - 100% utilization!!!!! I'm hoping my new machine will do much better!

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Previously, I would find Aurora choking when I was combining 5-7 raw D850 files for an HDR. All 6 cores would be working hard and the CPU would hover between 90 - 100% utilization!!!!! I'm hoping my new machine will do much better!
Hi BK. Long time since I've been around here. If you don't mind me asking what CPU did you decide to go for in the end. Could you post a list please 🥵.
Cheers.
Mike

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Sure....here are the key components....

Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 AORUS Ultra

CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz Twelve Core 105W

Ram
Samsung 64GB DDR4-2666 (2x32GB)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Video Card
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER XC 8GB Open Air

Sound Card
Onboard Sound

Networking
Integrated WiFi+Bluetooth

Storage
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 SSD

Comments: Primary drive.
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 SSD

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Maybe it's too early in the morning for me! @FredAzinger , @Growltiger and anyone else! Which is better? To make the 500gb or the 1 TB drive as the primary? I was thinking of "working" on the 1TB drive and having the OS and apps on the 500 GB drive as primary.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom