I'm spec'ing a new desktop computer.....

Maybe it's too early in the morning for me! @FredAzinger , @Growltiger and anyone else! Which is better? To make the 500gb or the 1 TB drive as the primary? I was thinking of "working" on the 1TB drive and having the OS and apps on the 500 GB drive as primary.
Agree with the others, all 4 of my OS drives are 250GB and all have less than 1/3 of their capacity used.

You need more software! My C: drive is currently using 255GB of its capacity. Just software on it.
Yeah, no thanks. I ruthlessly purged all the stuff I seldom use when I installed Windows 10, but I will likely opt for a 500GB system drive in the next build. Software installs sure aren't getting any slimmer.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Yeah, no thanks. I ruthlessly purged all the stuff I seldom use when I installed Windows 10, but I will likely opt for a 500GB system drive in the next build. Software installs sure aren't getting any slimmer.
My machine's last clean install was Win 7, so it has accumulated stuff from 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. It also has two other operating systems on it. Even so it all fits on a 500GB with over 200GB spare. My other drive is 8TB and has all my data on it.

It is a shame that neither Windows not macOS have this built in. They could make it run once a day and warn users if the disks are starting to fail.
Would be nice to have such an inbuilt tool indeed.

On a Mac, if you go into Disk Utility and select a drive, there is a "S.M.A.R.T" status that can have one of three statuses:
  1. "VERIFIED": Equivalent to "Green/Blue"
  2. "FAILING": Equivalent to "Amber"
  3. Some Error Notice: Equivalent to "Red"
You have to manually check at intervals and most people probably never open Disk Utility on their machines.

NB: Updated and moved instructions on automated checks to Mac Forum

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Would be nice to have such an inbuilt tool indeed.

On a Mac, if you go into Disk Utility and select a drive, there is a "S.M.A.R.T" status that can have one of three statuses:
  1. "VERIFIED": Equivalent to "Green/Blue"
  2. "FAILING": Equivalent to "Amber"
  3. Some Error Notice: Equivalent to "Red"
You have to manually check at intervals and most people probably never open Disk Utility on their machines.
I open it quite a fair bit as I tinker with my machine but can also go for long periods without doing this. So I wrote this Applescript Utility (based on somethng I found somewhere on the web a long time ago) to run on each login:

Code:
set DiskProb to false
set disklist to do shell script "diskutil list | grep /dev/"
set EachDisk to words in disklist
repeat with CurrentDisk in EachDisk
    set SmartStatus to "Verified"
    if CurrentDisk as text is not equal to "dev" then
        try
            set SmartStatus to do shell script "diskutil info " & CurrentDisk & " | grep SMART"
        end try
        if SmartStatus does not contain "Verified" and SmartStatus does not contain "Not Supported" then
            set DiskProb to true
            exit repeat
        end if
    end if
end repeat
if DiskProb is true then
    tell application "Finder"
        display notification "Potential Disk Error!" & return & "Verify S.M.A.R.T status of disks in Disk Utility" with title "SMART Status Checker"
    end tell
end if

Setting up involves following the following steps:
  • CREATE APPLICATION
    • Go to "Applications -> Utilities" and open "Script Editor"
    • This will create an empty Applescript file
    • Copy and paste the code above into this
    • Select "File -> Save" in "Script Editor"
    • Prepare for saving as follows:
      • Change file name to "SMART Status Checker"
      • Change file format to "Application"
    • Save to your "Applications" folder
  • SET TO RUN ON LOGIN
    • In "System Preferences", Click "Users and Groups"
    • Select relevant user account and add your new "SMART Status Checker" application as a login item
All done. It will run silently in the background each time you log in and notify you whenever it detects an issue.
If you need the validation that it is indeed running and that all is OK so far, add the following line to the bottom of the code:

Code:
if DiskProb is false then tell application "Finder" to display notification "All Disks Verified" with title "SMART Status Checker"

Apologies for the hijack.
Great info. Consider starting a thread explaining the need to check disks periodically in the Apple forum and then copying post #67 in that thread so Apple users will see it!

Windows can report SMART status and it can be automated. Cut and paste the following into a text (notepad) file:

:: This batch file checks and reports hard drive SMART status
Timeout 3
wmic diskdrive get status >> results.txt
Exit

Save the file and then rename it to something recognizable and give it a .bat extension. Mine is called SMART.bat

You can place the file about anywhere, I just left mine on the desktop. You can run it manually at any time just by double clicking it. It will output the results of the check to a text file (results.txt) in the same location as the bat file (i.e., the desktop). Each time it's run, the file is appended, not overwritten, so that it will read like this:

Status
OK
OK
OK
OK
OK
Status
OK
OK
OK
OK
OK
...ad infinitum

If you see anything other than OK reported e.g., Bad, Caution, or Unknown, take a closer look using the software tools of your choice. I think purging the file every so often would be a good practice so it doesn't grow so long as to be cumbersome.

How to automate
To have the bat run at every boot or restart, create a shortcut to the file in your startup folder:

C:\Users\YOUR USER ACCT\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Click on your shortcut and select properties. In the next to last dropdown box (Run), choose minimized. Or, just leave it as is if the command window that appears does not annoy you. It will close when finished.

This is really basic stuff and it can be improved, no doubt. For example, I think it might be a good idea to have a discreet report generated for every run or maybe just overwrite the file so that only the most recent checks are saved. I might look that up later or maybe someone else can chime in with this or other improvements. The only real downside here is you have to check the results file manually to see if anything is amiss. There might be a way to generate a popup if anything other than OK is returned as the status, but that probably involves scripting and as such is beyond my level of interest.

EDIT: To overwrite the results.txt file each time, use only one arrow instead of two after get status. The edited file is

Timeout 3
wmic diskdrive get status > results.txt
Exit

The timeout can be lengthened if need be or maybe even eliminated. In my own case I can do without it, I included it only as a precaution so that the system would be fully booted before the SMART check is run.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Windows can report SMART status and it can be automated. Cut and paste the following into a text (notepad) file:

Timeout 3
wmic diskdrive get status >> results.txt
Exit

Save the file and then rename it to something recognizable and give it a .bat extension. Mine is called SMART.bat

You can place the file about anywhere, I just left mine on the desktop. You can run it manually at any time just by double clicking it. It will output the results of the check to a text file (results.txt) in the same location as the bat file (i.e., the desktop). Each time it's run, the file is appended, not overwritten, so that it will read like this:

Status
OK
OK
OK
OK
OK
Status
OK
OK
OK
OK
OK
...ad infinitum

If you see anything other than OK reported e.g., Bad, Caution, or Unknown, take a closer look using the software tools of your choice. I think purging the file every so often would be a good practice so it doesn't grow so long as to be cumbersome.

How to automate
To have the bat run at every boot or restart, create a shortcut to the file in your startup folder:

C:\Users\YOUR USER ACCT\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Click on your shortcut and select properties. In the next to last dropdown box (Run), choose minimized. Or, just leave it as is if the command window that appears does not annoy you. It will close when finished.

This is really basic stuff and it can be improved, no doubt. For example, I think it might be a good idea to have a discreet report generated for every run or maybe just overwrite the file so that only the most recent checks are saved. I might look that up later or maybe someone else can chime in with this or other improvements. The only real downside here is you have to check the results file manually to see if anything is amiss. There might be a way to generate a popup if anything other than OK is returned as the status, but that probably involves scripting and as such is beyond my level of interest.

EDIT: To overwrite the results.txt file each time, use only one arrow instead of two after get status. The edited file is

Timeout 3
wmic diskdrive get status > results.txt
Exit

The timeout can be lengthened if need be or maybe even eliminated. In my own case I can do without it, I included it only as a precaution so that the system would be fully booted before the SMART check is run.
Very interesting, thanks.
I see that wmic is now deprecated. I wonder what has replaced it?

I've run into issues with the Win10 auto run. First it was broken, then it was fixed, now it won't run at all. Maybe something with my system permissions, not sure. If anyone else has it working let me know. It's fine in WIn8...
----------------------
I got it working using the Task Scheduler. This is a little more involved than using a simple shortcut but it's not rocket science. If anyone wants to try this method, let me know and I'll make both the cmd* file and the task.xml available.

*cmd works better in Win10 .

EDIT: I've rethought and reworked the whole thing. It's now a script that only alerts if a drive has a problem. I will make this available to anyone who wants it, but I will not provide support beyond the instructions that will accompany the .ps1 and .xml files.

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Mellen

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I like CrystalDiskInfo which Richard recommends.

In addition, there is comprehensive error and issue reporting from Windows 10’s built in reliability monitoring.

You can find it by doing a search in Win 10 for “View Reliability History”

Here is a link to an old article on the subject: https://www.cio.com/article/2998906/how-to-work-with-windows-10-reliability-monitor.html
Thanks for that. I just looked and I'm pleased to say that my machine sits there scoring 10 all the time. Even in Week view.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Hi BK and sorry for the delay in thanking you for posting your new PS specks. Looking at the items you chose I agree with your choice in CPU as the amd 3950X is overkill for my neads. I've been on the fence for some time as to what CPU to go for a the Intel CPU's have height cloak speeds like the i9-9900K and the i9-10980 XE These can runs and boost to over 5g on all cores. These Intel CPU's were preferred by Adobe products ot one time, but it seems that this has changed now.
I am thinking of getting the AMD-rison 9-3900X and the Gigabyte aorus Pro. The Orus Pro has better VRM cooling and I can flash the bias easily with the buttons on the back I/O.
The other items like the M.2 drives I have the 2Tb and a1Tb Samsung Pro drives as I think they offer the largest read right amounts and come with a five year warranty. So I am well set for my new build.
Before I proceed with the build I would very much like to hear from you when you settle in and start working on your new PC and start processing thoise big files from your D850.
With kindest regards.
Mike

Last edited:
I was on the fence, but thought about how long i wanted this machine to last.
Goal was at least 5-6 years.
Sure, 8 cores seems enough for TODAY - but what about tomorrow?

If I were to stay at 8 cores, I would have stuck with Intel.
More than 8 and AMD is the way to go unless you have unlimited buck$.

Trying to be as future-proof as possible, I went with the 3950X.
I've yet to see it go over 40% CPU utilization, but I have faith that SW bloat will fix that.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
I was on the fence, but thought about how long i wanted this machine to last.
Goal was at least 5-6 years.
Sure, 8 cores seems enough for TODAY - but what about tomorrow?

If I were to stay at 8 cores, I would have stuck with Intel.
More than 8 and AMD is the way to go unless you have unlimited buck$.

Trying to be as future-proof as possible, I went with the 3950X.
I've yet to see it go over 40% CPU utilization, but I have faith that SW bloat will fix that.
Hi FA. I am coming from a AMD 1950X and I am not happy with my CPU atall ?. lods of cors and treads but very slow compared to the Intel equivalent. From what I've been hearing the new AND 300 CPU's are a lot better in the speed department.
Mike

Last edited:
Computer performance is always very hard to predict.
Intel and I assume AMD have a suite of apps/benchmarks that they run on their simulators to see how particular workloads respond to various architectural and instruction-set changes. It's always a give-and-take game where some do better and some do worse. Intel calls it their "S-Curve." Finding the balance is the art.

So - how a machine will work out for you is a bit of a crap-shoot unless your workload is represented in the bench-marking process.

AMD's RYZEN now have better IPC than Intels' for various workloads.
Their core/$ and perhaps core/W appears to best Intel.
Their chipset-CPU BW has been significantly increased to avoid a bottleneck for M.2 and USB3.
Intel is still [for the most part] stuck at 14nm and Skylake micro-architecture....how old is that?

On the flip side;
AMD's lack OC headroom -- but I only want to OC the memory to XMP settings, which is supported.
Many app's are tuned to Intel's architecture - even passively just using Intel's compiler.
At 8-cores, Intel's clock higher and have the above "tuning" advantage - but price goes crazy above 8.

For now, I thought it best to have "spare" cores.
In fact, I'm thinking of turning off SMT and running the 3950X as 16-threads - I read somewhere that it might increase some workloads as much as 30%.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Computer performance is always very hard to predict.
Intel and I assume AMD have a suite of apps/benchmarks that they run on their simulators to see how particular workloads respond to various architectural and instruction-set changes. It's always a give-and-take game where some do better and some do worse. Intel calls it their "S-Curve." Finding the balance is the art.

So - how a machine will work out for you is a bit of a crap-shoot unless your workload is represented in the bench-marking process.

AMD's RYZEN now have better IPC than Intels' for various workloads.
Their core/$ and perhaps core/W appears to best Intel.
Their chipset-CPU BW has been significantly increased to avoid a bottleneck for M.2 and USB3.
Intel is still [for the most part] stuck at 14nm and Skylake micro-architecture....how old is that?

On the flip side;
AMD's lack OC headroom -- but I only want to OC the memory to XMP settings, which is supported.
Many app's are tuned to Intel's architecture - even passively just using Intel's compiler.
At 8-cores, Intel's clock higher and have the above "tuning" advantage - but price goes crazy above 8.

For now, I thought it best to have "spare" cores.
In fact, I'm thinking of turning off SMT and running the 3950X as 16-threads - I read somewhere that it might increase some workloads as much as 30%.

For the moment Intel still hold the crown as the best CPU for PS.cc & LR.cc because of the way these programs like clock speed and the fact the i9-9900k or the KF has on board video. I do believe that this will change given time. It's hard to get (ADOBE to CHANGE). Now if I were to do more video work I would be think strongly of getting the R3950X.
Back to the R9-3900X V R9-3950X here are a couple of reviews that compares them both for performance and value for money.
Regards.
Mike

Last edited:
Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Placed my order late yesterday. Should be built and delivered about a week after we return from our trip! wooHOOO!
Hi Karen. I am wondering how you are getting on with your new PC. Do you like is and how much faster is while processing your images in PScc & LRcc etc.
Regards.
Mike

Latest threads

Top Bottom