I'm starting a D2X anonymous chapter....I need help!!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Rich Gibson, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Hi. My name is Rich Gibson and I'm a D2X-a-holic. I'm weakening. I need an intervention! Somebody talk me out of starting to save for the camera.

Tell me I need more lenses...teleconverters....portrait hardware...anything! My credit card ($0.00 balance right now) is calling to me...."I'm sooo lonely and feel neglected....How come we never do anything together anymore?...What's $5000 between us?"

:? :? :? :?

Rich

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Rich I wish I could help, but seeing as the wife took
    a nap and left me alone with my debt card I now
    have a new 28-70mm lens on it's way. I think a support group of some kind is needed. ;)

3. Gee, Rich, this is bad! You know what they say about men and there toys. Go ahead and enjoy! And while you're about it, why don't you send me one too.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera :D

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

6. Rich,

I can help. :p

You need to raise some cash to get your D2X right? :shock: I'll be happy to take your obsolete D2H off your hands! ;-) How old is it anyway: less than 1 year or thereabout?

7. January...that's how bad I have it!! I went out to a medieval battle reenacement today. Actually it's not quite a reenactment because one team is dressed as roundheads, another as vikings and a third as Roman centurions...yeah I know.

They use strictly regulated foam covered swords, shields, spears, etc. etc. The guys (and gals too!) pummel the crud out of each other without injury. I used my 300mm F4, a ladder, and the D2H. Boy howdy that was fun! I shot over 500 images with this machine gun. I'll post some stuff later. My youngest g-daughter, Miriam, was standing on the ladder with grandad aiming through the lens looking at "daddy." "Oh Oh." She said. "Daddy's dead again!"

I also met a nice gent there who had never heard of the Cafe. Said he'll stop by tonight.

Rich

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Rich,

I don't want to tone down your enthusiasm, but I know that you are an engineer, so maybe I can help reduce the temptation with a little analysis.... 8)

You seem to like the 8 FPS of the D2H, so you will usually shoot the X in the HSC mode, right? That being the case (note the smooth assumption that you will use HSC....;-)), you will get an image that is 3216 X 2136. With your loyal, faithful (and paid for) D2H, you get 2464 X 1632.

So, for the princely sum of only $4,999.99, you get an 276 measely pixels extra down each side of the image, and only 252 more along the top and the bottom.

How's that for a pretty good rationalization??

Of course, I want an X too. :lol:

Frank

9. You could always take a second on the house like I did. Cheaper interest rate lower payment and a tax write off. I intend to repay my loan but in the mean time, I am enjoying the hell out of my X. Sorry, you did say talk you out of it didn't you?

10. Maybe you just need to go back to making babies again. I know it's been a while, but you might like it. :D And once you have babies again, you'll know restraint since you'll need to feed them, clothe them, buy toys for them and put them through college (if not private school before that). :wink: And if it's bit too late for that, you can always adopt. There are lots of orphans and orphans-to-be who could use kind, loving parents who have the means and resources as well as the big hearts to raise them and love them. In fact, we might do that some day ourselves, God willing, as that's one great way to bear witness to Him as well as enjoying His blessings for us. Adoption is such a great reflection of our (restored) relationship to Him.

But on 2nd thought, maybe you can just become my kids' godfather and promise to help me pay for all that stuff for them so that I can afford the D2X and some nice glass instead. :D

But failing all that, maybe I could help you out the way Philippe's suggesting. How much did you say you want for the D2H? :D Any "brotherly" discounts? :wink:

_Man_

11. I'd like to help, Rich, but this forum is for discussion and treatment of Lens Lust Disease. Camera bodies are an entirely different issue. A newer one is always better, and I support your decision to upgrade to a d2x. $5,000 is a small price to pay for the privilege of being a beta tester for a leading edge product.

12. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    My name is Neil, and like Rich, I too am fast being overcome with an (ir)rational desire for a D2X. I have begun hinting to 'er indoors that, "Really, $5000 isn't that much for a camera."

Please help.

Neil

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well guess you don't really NEEEDD it.

But if you want it and can afford it . Go for it.

We only live once and it is getting shorter by the second.

I can't afford it, so don't have to think about it to much..
    Learning what I have is a Big enough challenge for me.

I think the D100 is a great camera , and I have 3 great lenses for it.

I will be glad to get rid of the 3000 left on the credit card.

15. Rich,
    There is no stopping it. Just buy it and KEEP the d2h like i did. I bought the d2h in January at the same time I ordered the d2x. sold a bunch of other toys to afford it, but it sure is one hell of a camera. I do still love the d2h and keep it glassed up at all times as well. If you can resist it, you are one strong man.