im thinking of changing what i use.

Ok so with the acquisition of a new smartphone I find that I don't use my laptop as my main source for web work anymore and about all it is really for is photo editing. I was wondering if it would be worth it to get a MAC mini and try to sell the mbp. I currently use light room for editing, would the MAC mini be sufficient to use? Or should I look into an imac or try to find a tower, I would like to stay MAC and am open to ideas that are not buying a $1,000 or more machine

Wouldn't it just be cheaper/easier to stick with what you have? Unless you can get enough for your MBP to offset the cost of a Mac Mini... but even then, I'm not sure you'd be happy with the performance... although I say this not knowing what model MBP you have or mini that you want... I can't see getting a tower or iMac for much under $1000 unless it's a quite older model.

I have I believe an 06 ish 17in mbp it is an all silver unit, I'm not near it atm to give you the apecifics.

Oh, well, that is an older one, then. :tongue: I am using a first gen aluminum MBP (2007?) 17" and I like it just fine. But then, I use my 24" iMac for major editing. The MBP is for couch use... :tongue:

Ok so with the acquisition of a new smartphone I find that I don't use my laptop as my main source for web work anymore and about all it is really for is photo editing. I was wondering if it would be worth it to get a MAC mini and try to sell the mbp. I currently use light room for editing, would the MAC mini be sufficient to use? Or should I look into an imac or try to find a tower, I would like to stay MAC and am open to ideas that are not buying a $1,000 or more machine

I'm using the current Mac Mini with 8 gig of ram in it and Lightroom just flies for me. I'd always found LR to slow down after processing 8 or so raws with my 2.53 MacBook pro (4 gig ram). Don't use PS or Capture NX2 any longer so can't report on their performance.

Keep the MBP.

You need a mini and monitor and gain little if anything.

Mac computers slow if the HD is too full or there is a slow processor or too little ram. Off load the files to two external drives and free up the HD. When there is insufficient ram, the computer has to use the HD as a scratch disk. This involves read & write to the HD which is time consuming in itself and if the disk is nearly full, things really bog.

Ronald, I have a complete home network with over 8 TB of storage I keep very little in my laptop. Ad far as the monitor and others go I have a 23 inch high definition display already that I'm using as the primary monitor for my MAC book. I have it at the max of RAM already as well.

Mike, how new of a mini are you running

Ronald, I have a complete home network with over 8 TB of storage I keep very little in my laptop. Ad far as the monitor and others go I have a 23 inch high definition display already that I'm using as the primary monitor for my MAC book. I have it at the max of RAM already as well.

Mike, how new of a mini are you running

It's the current 2.4 ghz model.

Latest threads

Top Bottom