1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

iMac 2.8 vs. 3.06

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by JerseyJay, Jul 5, 2008.

1. This is a continuation of this thread HERE. In previous thread I was trying to select from iMac, MP, MBP etc. After lots of reading, I think I narrowed it down to iMac line. The question now is 3.06 vs. 2.8. Was this question asked before on the forum ? Not a big deal money wise but if for whatever reason 2.8 is a clear winner, I can spend the difference elsewhere ... RAM :) . I have been reading many reviews on that same topic and I'm hearing mixed feedback from different groups - gamers, photoshoppers, video editors etc.

I found the following that has my head scratching ...

Full article HERE

ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS CS3
    A true "real world" test, we take a sample created by Total Training and render it with the "multiprocessor" option enabled. It not only invokes all cores but spawns subprocesses -- one for each core -- each of which can utilized up to 3GB of RAM. It's a real stress test.

imp_ae.

ADOBE PHOTOSHOP CS3
    We have created an action file that applies 8 MP-aware functions or filters to a 100MB photo.

imp_foto.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    It would be nice if those graphs were broadened to include the processor variations with both 2 and 4mb of memory. That would clearly answer whether 3.06/2mb or 2.8/4mb is the best. My guess is the 4mb is going to make a bigger difference than the faster processor but that's just a guess.

3. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    I really don't know much about computers, but I found this performance test (by OWC) of the 8 core Mac Pro interesting. It seems to show that adding RAM helps only to a point, and that beyond that point, the extra RAM appears to be wasted. It also seems to imply that the location of the RAM is even more important than the amount added. I know this test specifically deals with the Mac Pro, but I have to wonder if the theory behind it carries over to other computers like the iMac.

Performance test

4. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Some tidbits...

If you have enough RAM to store the app and the picture that you are working on in photoshop. The rest of the RAM is wasted.

If you constantly use a number of programs that are open at the same time, more RAM will make it seem faster.

There is not a huge difference between the 2.8 and the 3.06.

My recommendation. Spend the most that you reasonably can, you will be glad later.

Here is my vote for a 24" iMac

Simplicity, Beauty and Power.

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.