Imac 27 I 7 Vs PC for photo editing and printing

I am a PC user but everyone that I know that is into photo editing and doing their own printing has a Mac. For a Mac 27" I7 4 ram ,1TB ati5750 I can buy a MUCH faster PC I7 960 12 gig ram with 2 1TB sata 3 hard drives, 6850 2 gig and 27 inch Dell ultra sharp with calibration (that I can upgrade myself) with money to spare. What is it about a Imac that makes it so universally used. I just bought my printer and need a new work station. So far I am Primarily a Capture NX 2.26 user. Can Capture NX2 print as well as the Adobe products TAzz

If you are satisfied with what you are using now, I do not think it is necessary to change (from Windows to Mac).

With that said, I was a Windows user for some 25 years. Two years ago, I switched to Mac and never looked back. I got tired of waiting for all the antivirus, antispam, antimalware, antiwhatever programs to load, on my Toshiba notebook, so I first got myself a MacBook. Within one month, the behemoth under my desk was replaced by a 24" iMac, which I am still using today. If I were to upgrade it, the 27" iMac would be the only one I would consider.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The world standard photo editing software, Adobe Photoshop, runs exactly the same on Mac or PC. There is no difference whatever. That should answer your question.

The choice of PC or Mac is an issue beset by problems whenever it is discussed. It is like asking two lots of football fans which the best team is!

My opinion:
  • Both PC and Mac are now excellent systems.
  • Windows 7 is an excellent product which is on a par with the Mac OS.
  • Since Microsoft issued the free Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) all that antivirus argument is irrelevant.
  • The internals are basically the same, same Intel CPUs, same components, same standards.
  • Apple styling of cases etc is superb but you pay a lot for it.
  • There is more software for the PC, but you very likely don't need the software that you can't get for the Mac.

Now wait for the fans to comment...

Personally, I wouldn't even consider an iMac for photo editing. The main reason being the glossy screen. If I was going the Mac route, I'd either get a Mac Pro or a MacBook Pro + auxiliary IPS-monitor.

Francis

I am a PC user but everyone that I know that is into photo editing and doing their own printing has a Mac. For a Mac 27" I7 4 ram ,1TB ati5750 I can buy a MUCH faster PC I7 960 12 gig ram with 2 1TB sata 3 hard drives, 6850 2 gig and 27 inch Dell ultra sharp with calibration (that I can upgrade myself) with money to spare. What is it about a Imac that makes it so universally used. I just bought my printer and need a new work station. So far I am Primarily a Capture NX 2.26 user. Can Capture NX2 print as well as the Adobe products TAzz
To answer the "what is it about iMac..." question, it's simple. Historically, Mac OS and Apple specified hardware has provided the best and fastest systems for image and video processing. Combined with Mac system stability and resistance to virus and malware attack, it became the default system for working pros (mostly). As GT said, with the introduction of Windows 7, the acceptance of 64 bit OS, the Intel inclusion in Apple's hardware, Windows Security Essentials, and better written code (generally speaking) that difference is essentially gone. People with Apple systems will probably stick with Apple systems since it's familiar and they're vested in Mac software solutions. PC people are likely (but not certain) to stick with Windows for the same reasons. The Apple aesthetic appeal is a big win on that side. It's been tugging at me for a few years, but since Win7 64 bit, I don't feel the pull nearly as strong!

Disclaimer: I use Macs for 99.9% of my computing. Just so you know my potential biases.

I will not do a pro/con list of Windows vs Mac features and benefits. That discussion has been thoroughly beat to death in threads here and in other fora.

What I will say is that you have to decide what exactly is motivating you to switch from Windows to Mac. There is a learning curve and there may be inconvenient workarounds necessary if there are Windows apps that have no Mac version. If there are sufficient pain points for you in Windows and/or sufficient perceived benefits in the Mac ecosystem, go for it. Otherwise, you may be happier and more productive by upgrading your PC hardware and upgrading to the latest instance of Windows.

I have a 24 matt and 27 glossy right next to each other. They look the same in my semi nearly dark editing room. Stores are a different matter.

i7 processor + 16 GB ram will send you to town happy. Mine has
1000 GB HD, anyway I bought all the options, ram from OWC for $240. 5 min install with #2 phillips screw driver. Screw are even captive so you can not lose them. Lay it face down on soft towels. You will have to pull HARD on the plastic tab to remove the original ram.

I run CS5 and NX2 without issues.

The only thing better would be a tower and professional screen.

Calibrate with Color Eyes 2. Can`t remember the technical reasons stated in Shutterbug, but that is what I already had so I used it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom