iMac for LR and occasional PS use?

Real Name
Paul
Wow! Now this is customer service...

I placed an order for a refurbished 27" iMac, online. About 10 minutes after I placed the order, I realized that it comes with the "magic" mouse and there was no option for the trackpad in the order process. I tried the mouse and it was a bit awkward in my hand, and I just couldn't get the three finger swiping and the like to work well with the mouse, whereas it was easy with the trackpad (probably because I'm used to it on the MBP).

So, I called them, to see if I could modify my order. I got a pleasant person, Tracy, on the line and asked if I can swap the mouse with the trackpad? She said that the order was already "preparing for shipping" and cannot be modified.

However, she said they would send me a trackpad AT NO CHARGE. It'll actually get here before the iMac.

Now that is customer service! Really surprised (I guess I have dealt too long with other manufacturers that are a pain).

I can't wait until it arrives!

Real Name
Doug
Wow! Now this is customer service...

I placed an order for a refurbished 27" iMac, online. About 10 minutes after I placed the order, I realized that it comes with the "magic" mouse and there was no option for the trackpad in the order process. I tried the mouse and it was a bit awkward in my hand, and I just couldn't get the three finger swiping and the like to work well with the mouse, whereas it was easy with the trackpad (probably because I'm used to it on the MBP).

So, I called them, to see if I could modify my order. I got a pleasant person, Tracy, on the line and asked if I can swap the mouse with the trackpad? She said that the order was already "preparing for shipping" and cannot be modified.

However, she said they would send me a trackpad AT NO CHARGE. It'll actually get here before the iMac.

Now that is customer service! Really surprised (I guess I have dealt too long with other manufacturers that are a pain).

I can't wait until it arrives!

The refurb stuff arrives surprisingly fast. I ordered a refurb iPad 2 on a Sunday and it arrived on Tuesday. From China. With free shipping. Amazing.

I have the mid 2010 27" iMac with the i7 processor and the ram upgraded to 12 gb. I love it. At first the large screen was hard for me to get used to, but once I realized that my progressive bifocals just weren't working and I bought some reading glasses for it, I have loved it.

I have an iPad now and the way the two work together for me is a real bonus!!

Real Name
Doug
I have the mid 2010 27" iMac with the i7 processor and the ram upgraded to 12 gb. I love it. At first the large screen was hard for me to get used to, but once I realized that my progressive bifocals just weren't working and I bought some reading glasses for it, I have loved it.

I have an iPad now and the way the two work together for me is a real bonus!!

I had the same experience when I got my 24" Apple display last year (also from the refurb store). A trip to Target for a pair of cheap reading glasses at the appropriate strength fixed that. :biggrin:

Real Name
Paul
I wear contacts for distance, and over the past few years I've been needing to use reading glasses for close up stuff. I just can't stand glasses, but I'm at the point where I need them for all computer work. So, yeah, cheap 1.5 glasses and I'm good to go!

screen resolution

I use my computer pretty much like Paul andI'm presently making same decisions he is dealing with. Going from my 17 inch laptop screen to a 27 inch screen seems overwhelming yet many seem to be happy with their decision to do so. I've never believed that "bigger is always better", but am willing to get the 27 incher if most feel that it would be the wiser move. Does the resolution difference between the 21 and the 27 sway your decision much....is it noticeable or relevant?

I use my computer pretty much like Paul andI'm presently making same decisions he is dealing with. Going from my 17 inch laptop screen to a 27 inch screen seems overwhelming yet many seem to be happy with their decision to do so. I've never believed that "bigger is always better", but am willing to get the 27 incher if most feel that it would be the wiser move. Does the resolution difference between the 21 and the 27 sway your decision much....is it noticeable or relevant?

Can you get to a store where you can view them both and compare? I bet you would be very happy with either computer. I opted for the 27" and love it!!

Real Name
Paul
The resolution on the 27" is great. I'm very happy with it. What I do like is that there is much more real estate, so I can have several windows up, or when in LR, have a large display of the photo I'm processing and still see all the panels. With my laptop, I was always hiding things to make the display large enough.

The 27" does take up a lot of space, but it seems to fit in the corner where I have it (with enough room for the rare occasions when I put in a DVD). I bought 8GB of ram for less than $50 and now have it maxed out at 16 GB. It is really fast and everything is working well.

The only thing I'm struggling with (which has nothing to do with the unit per-se), is that I'm trying to hack my NAS box, so I can use it for Time Machine backups over my local network (I really don't want to have yet another USB drive, when I have a 2 TB NAS box). Unfortunately, I having a hard time getting the NAS box to work as a drive that supports Apple's filesystem. Still hacking away though.

Regards,

Thanks, Terri and Paul. Yes I can, actually have briefly looked at both screens and, of course, my first reaction was "good grief, those are georgeous......and big", but i didn't know if it would make much difference with one's own pictures and postprocessing since they have difference resolution. Anything will be vast improvement over what i have.....

Peter

Latest threads

Top Bottom