1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Imac question

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by do0dfromcali, Aug 12, 2008.

1. 24in - How big of a difference would I see getting the 3.06GHz over the 2.8GHZ?

I am mainly looking for speed for processing images with lightroom and CS3. I think getting the 2.8GHz and upgrading ram would be the better choice.

Also...I am thinking. Bigger is better. Has anyone gotten the 20 inch and said, I should of gone bigger?

I am going to the apple store later to play. We'll see

2. Well you know what I think!!! :biggrin: I love my office 24" iMac and somehow I think you might like a D300 to go along with it.

3. I think that maxing out the RAM would make more of a difference than the increase in processor speed between 3.06 GHz and 2.8 GHz.......

As for size, I would recommend the 24" for two reasons. First, there have been some reports that the quality of the 20" monitor is not the same as that of the 24" and secondly, the 24" provides more screen real estate. The latter is very helpful when post-processing images.

4. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    1: RAM is definitely more of a performance boost than CPU. Make sure you can afford to max out the ram (buy 3rd party to save money) before spending on CPU.

2: Yes, the 24" is much nicer than the 20" model. You want it. The only thing you want more is a 30" screen (or two).

5. Thanks for the links Scott. I checked out that website and the memory for my Macbook pro was a decent price.

Connie and Bill...I looked at the 24in yesterday while visiting the Apple store and was in awe. When I did full screen for pictures I was amazed. They looked VERY good.

I then walked over to the 20in and was like ehhh. I kept looking back over my shoulder at the 24in and it had this look like, "buuuuuuuuy me."

I am still up in the air on what I want to do.

Gretchen...can I just have one from you work?!

6. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Boy, don't I know THAT one!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

The day I went to "just look" at the new MacBook Air machines when they first arrived in the store, I picked one up, admired it, set it down, typed on it and put it through its paces, then realized that time was passing and that I needed to be moving on. I quite impulsively picked the display MBA up again and hugged it before gently setting it back down..... Oops, right then I knew I was a goner. I couldn't buy one that day because the store only just had the display models, due to some shipping issues, but, yep, the very next week as soon as they had the machines in inventory to sell, I was back there buying my very own!

These Apple machines do have a way of sending out the siren song.....

Good luck with your upcoming purchase!!!

7. Connie, I think you need to change your title from "Cafe Bionic Goddess" to "Apple Goddess". LOL

8. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Or maybe use the avatar that I use on MacRumors: a shiny, sparkly rainbow apple! :biggrin:

9. LOL Connie!!! As for the 24 inch iMac... there was a big box under the Christmas tree!! :Love: I have been enjoying mine for 8 months. PC by day (2 x 19 inch screens) and iMac at night. I plan to max out the RAM soon. Love my Mac... but have to stay away from Connie or I will catch Apple fever again!! :tongue::tongue::tongue:

10. Hmmmmmm. Not a bad deal.

Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    24-inch glossy widescreen display
    1GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
    Built-in iSight Camera
    Learn More
    • Save 28% off the original price
    Original price: $1,799.00
    Your price: $1,299.00

Estimated Ship:
    Within 24 hours
    Free Shipping

This would leave some extra money to buy more memory and a monitor calibration software.

Hmmmm what to do...what to do. :biggrin:

11. What's the warranty? A good deal if the warranty is no different than a new machine.

12. It comes with their 1 year warranty and then option to buy the 3 year extended.

13. If you can double the memory, it wouldn't be a bad deal for a mac.

14. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Refurbished is a great way to go.

I know several folks who have bought refurbished and had a few issues but Apple fixed them without any problems.

24" is the only way to go IMHO.

Good luck!

BTW. I wish there was a new form factor for all their machine. Excluding the MBA; the notebooks, iMacs and Pros have looked the same for wayyyy too long.

15. Here are the specs:

Product Details

Model Refurbished 24-inch iMac
    Processor 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    L2 Cache 4MB Shared
    System bus 800MHz
    Memory 1GB (one SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300), supports up to 4GB
    Hard drive 320GB Serial ATA; 7200 rpm
    Optical drive Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive with 4x double-layer burning (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Display 24-inch (viewable) glossy widescreen TFT active-matrix LCD, 1920 by 1200 pixels, millions of colors
    Video Built-in iSight; mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video connections via adapter
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
    FireWire One FireWire 400 and one FireWire 800 port; 7 watts each
    USB Three USB 2.0 ports on computer; two USB 2.0 ports on keyboard
    Audio Built-in stereo speakers with 24-watt digital amplifier, built-in microphone, optical digital audio output/headphone out, optical digital audio input/audio line in
    Ethernet Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
    Wireless Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
    Hardware accessories Apple Remote, Apple Keyboard, and Mighty Mouse
    Other Built-in IR receiver
    # Size and weight Height: 20.5 inches (52.0 cm)
    # Width: 22.4 inches (56.9 cm)
    # Depth: 8.1 inches (20.7 cm)
    # Weight: 25.4 pounds (11.5 kg)

-------------------------------------

I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger and get it on it's way. Thank you for everyone's advice!

Only problem now is what do I do with my Macbook pro? Haha

16. Mike,

Look at this thread HERE. I was in the same boat few weeks ago. There aren't that many replies but my first thread has a link to another thread I created. There is some info there as well. For me, it was first:

Apple - Yes / No
    iMac - 20 vs. 24
    iMac - 24 2.8 vs. 24 3.06
    iMac vs. Mac Pro
    Mac Pro 2.8 vs. Mac Pro 3.2

I'm now saving up for MacPro 2.8. Thanks to all those Mac-Maniacs :) 

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  17. I went with the one I posted. I am going to add more ram to it when it arrives and I think should that be fast enough for me.

I am also going to keep my macbook pro and use it when needed.

Thanks for the link Jay. It was an interesting read.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.