Image banding using PC monitor

If I heavily smooth a fairly dark image on my Mac laptop, it looks fine. If I do the same using an application on my desktop PC (Win 10), it shows noticeable concentric banding. I first thought the issue was the application, but if I save the Mac image as a TIFF file and display it on the PC using a variety of programs there is banding. So I concluded the monitor was the culprit. I recalibrated it but to no avail.

The TIFF file should have enough bit depth to avoid banding (as it does on the Mac laptop), so it's something to do with how programs on the PC are interacting with the monitor. Any suggestions?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Is this an 8 bit TIFF or a 16 bit TIFF?
What colour profile does it have?
Have you tried viewing the TIFF you made on the Mac (yes I know you made it from an image on the Mac but you need to try this to make sure the problem was not introduced when you made the TIFF).
Can you put it somewhere we can download it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
16 bit TIFF. sRGB. I don't know where to put it for download, but here's a screen capture of part of the Mac-created image as displayed on the PC to show what the banding looks like:
2020-05-29 19_13_43-Window.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You asked what the same file looks like on the Mac and here's where things are getting weirder. If I open the image with the default Preview program, there is banding for about a second and then it disappears resulting in a very smooth image. I had a family member confirm what I was seeing. Pixelmator shows no banding. Viveza 2 shows banding.

Real Name
Ken
See my last post.
Sorry I missed that. And I also forgot to ask what programs did you use to view the file on a PC? And was this the exact same file as was read by the two MAC programs? I am wondering if the PC program(s) were not able to read a 16-bit file and display it properly.

--Ken

Sorry I missed that. And I also forgot to ask what programs did you use to view the file on a PC? And was this the exact same file as was read by the two MAC programs? I am wondering if the PC program(s) were not able to read a 16-bit file and display it properly.
Yes, same file.

Affinity Photo and Windows Photo Viewer. I know for sure that the former can read a 16-bit file (I've opened 32-bit files with it). As for displaying it, that seems to be the issue as display is not consistent between programs.

Last edited:
Do you know what is the largest gamut your monitors (PC and MAC) can properly display?

--Ken
I'm not sure about the MacBook Pro (recent model) but the monitor on the PC is an NEC capable of Adobe RGB although I currently have it calibrated for sRGB which is what the file is.

The fact that different programs on the same computer/monitor are displaying the file differently strongly suggests it's how each program is handling the file.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom