Image Change

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by RayGuselli, Nov 29, 2005.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Tried to change this image of a little girl captured at a Dickensian festival into one from turn of century.

Tried to get an old English painted look sort of Wuthering heights/Victorian feel.

Has it worked please?

Best wishes

Ray

original
    [​IMG]

processed

[​IMG]

2. it is certainly much more dramatic...:smile:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ray,
    Perhaps I don't know much about old English paint. But this is a bit to dark for me. Her teeth went away :>)) too.
    I like the background.
    I love her blue eyes, maybe you could bring those back and lighten the hat and face some ??? Gee I just don't know much about that era painting Ray.
    she has such beautiful blonde hair with curles :>))Hummmmmmmmmmm

4. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Gale - advice taken!

I have lightened up the face a little and am hapier now - you were right.

I was going to add some texture to make it look like a painting but it does not work as such so left as is.

However, bringing back the face is definitely better whilst leaving the background.

Hope this is better.

Thanks

Ray

[​IMG]

5. This one is much better, Ray! I had to agree with Gale on your earlier versions.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Beautiful work!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Awwww now that is really Pretty Ray.

Good Job.

8. Sorry, but I have to disagree. While the face in the original version was indeed too dark (I agree with Gale on the teeth), the new version is now a bit too bright. Somehow it doesn't quite fit to the overall sombre mood of the pic. Maybe an intermediate version would do it, but preserving the teeth at least so much that they do not pop out too much, but also that they do not disappear like in the first version.
    Sorry for the nit-picking on an already great touch.

BTW - I like that "Wuthering Heights" comparison. It really reminds me of that.

Cheers

9. Hm, had another look again. Intermediate was not a good advice, it should be much closer to the second version than intermediate. Well my day has just started:smile:

10. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks

Hi

Many thanks for the posts.

I am happier now and will still have another look as Harry suggests.

If it looks any better I will post but in any case, this sure is a great way to learn and get ideas.

Appreciate the help and the advice - very best wishes

Ray

11. There are two issues with your image. The first you have corrected. This little girl looked much too harsh in your original image. Just look at Maria. I could never envision her as you portrayed this little girl.

The second, perhaps, what Harry is eluding to, is the background itself. On my monitor it's a little too dark and foreboding especially in the area around the bonnet, creating too much contrast with the face. Certainly those were difficult times, but I think you went a little too far. Maybe you should try a version with a less intense background in this area of your image.

Hope this helps!:smile:

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

12. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks Virginia

I know what you mean.

I need to try to find an image of the sort I am trying to portray.

I have seen the type of dark backgrounds I am looking for, but need to get a balanced pictured.

I am on the search now!

Thanks again

Best wishes

Ray

13. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Virginia

JB in the portait forum suggested that the image looked like those in a film Sleepy Hollow with Johnnt Depp.

I had a look and scrolled the pages and it is exactly what I was trying to achieve.

The link is here

http://www.zelluloid.de/filme/bilder.php3?id=736

You may find it interesting.

I love the feel to the images.

I think mine has gone some way to getting there but if you have any ideas..............would be really grateful.

Appreciate your help as always Virginia -

very best wishes

Ray