Image Quality D700 DX vs D300 has anyone tested?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Snapshooter, Aug 14, 2008.

1. I know that an DX image on the D700 is only 5.8mp vs the same image taken on a D300 12mp, but since the sensor on the D700 has larger pixel sites, I was wondering if anyone has compared enlarged images i.e. 19x13 or 16x20 from the two cameras with the same lens?

2. I haven't yet, but I may take some photos with that idea in mind next time I do a *real* session of my girls.

3. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    I no longer own the D300, but I have alot of shots I can compare it with. I've already took a few in DX crop, on the 24-70 however, and although the resolution is *half* I'm still comfortable printing an 8x10 that looks awesome. I can't print any larger then that, so I don't know how they would look, but given then inherint sharpness and contrast I'd imagine the DX crops will upres nicely to about double, but not quite the detail as the D300. On the other hand you have useable images upto ISO 6400, so its not a bad trade off from my point of view.

4. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    It is only 5,1MP in DX-mode according to what I have read, but it is an interesting question.

5. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Found it now at dpreview:

"Also supports DX lenses, viewfinder automatically masks (5.1 megapixels with DX lens)"

6. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I doubt that the D700 can compete against the D50's weaker AA filter in DX mode.

7. Interesting thread and I almost open one with the same or almost the same question.
    What I really would like to know is the difference, quality wise, between both cameras. I know one is full frame but how good the files compare shooting both at their original resolutions in their own formats? Is indeed the D700 so superior that it eclipses the D300? How good the D300 is?
    Since I only own old cameras, like many of you I have been very curious about the new cameras and new technology. I have used both, the D700 and D300 but not enough to make any judgments, except that the D700 has the better noise performance but, I am not a high ISO shooter. I do mostly macros, portraits and landscape photography.
    If anybody here has used both cameras enough to issue an unbiased opinion of them, I would like to hear what he or she has to say.
    Thank you in advance.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

8. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    Well as I have both, and some time on my hands today, I'll do a test with my 12-24.

9. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    I am interested in this as well. I would really like to get a second body, but the expense of having a FF and a DX mode camera is a little too much at the moment. I saw KR's article on this subject, and it just confused me more. I like to take my camera with me at night, so low light is important, but I don't know how important. The stuff I shoot in low light is mostly for my personal use. My D80 just doesn't cut it for a second body for events when I want two lenses mounted at the same time. (mostly sporting events where the better autofocus and fps are very important)

Thanks.

10. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    D330/ D700 Crop mode comparison

Well here it is. I hope this is what you were looking for: Both images shot with the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X AF Pro DX.
    Exposure: 1/200s f/11.0 at 24.0mm iso200

D300 full image
    101743562.gif
    D300 100% Crop
    View attachment 239421

D700 in Crop Mode
    View attachment 239422
    D700 100% Crop
    View attachment 239423

For those that have this lens, 2 things:
    1. Auto DX mode does not work with this lens, I needed to set DX mode manually.
    2. In my experimentation, I discovered the 12-24 works fine in FX mode down to about 18mm, without vignetting.

11. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    How come a 12M 100% crop is the same size as a 5M? I would imagine they are different!

12. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Alan, well job, thank you.

--

William, in my understanding it should be exactly the same if the DX-mode works properly, and it looks like it does.

The only think you can not do is to get a fine large pic of it - there you get the punishment because of the lack of pixells.

13. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    The original files are different sizes. The action I run in PS to prep all my images for the web resizes the longest dimension to a common 640 pixels.

Sorry for the confusion.

14. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    You should be able to print to 8x10 with out any issues, as long as you don't crop to much. Heck, I've got great looking13x19 prints hanging in my house from my old 6mp Pentax DS.

15. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Alan, is that a 6.1 MB camera ?

13 x 19 - that is inches ? you have to go x about 2,5 to get cm ?

If that so, it is very fine.

16. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I have done some extensive comparisons between my D300 and D3, and if you print 8x10 or smaller, the higher ISO abilities of the D3 (and I assume) the D700 are my choice,

However, above that, the larger number of pixels on the subjects on severe massive crops gives the edge to the D300.

since I print larger than 8x10 I continue to shoot the D300 except for ultra low low light.

17. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for relaying the info. Now all I have to do is remember it.....:eek:

18. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    Makes sense to me also.

19. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Wade, thank you - just to be sure (I am not english):

8 x 10 inches should be 20,32 cm x 25,4 cm printet, and I understand your writing this way, but please correct me if I am wrong:

If you do not crop you will say:

Use the D3/D700 instead of D50/D40 or D200/D300 and print in 8x10/20,32x25,4),

but if you crop - or print larger - then the other way.

??