Image quality on D2X, 1X & D70

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Jonathan, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    I am seriously considering making the change to a pro body camera from the D70. I have a chance to pick up a D1X at a great deal(900 shots taken), or splurge for the D2X.

So now for the question; For anyone who has tried 2 or 3 of the above, how would you rate each one in terms of image quality alone; ignoring all other aspects of each one. What would you give each camera on a 1-10 scale?

I am very curious about just how much actual difference there is between the three. My other big concern is that they are huge compared to the D70, but I thought the same thing when I got my 70-200VR.

Thanks for the replies..

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I own all three of them (D70, D1X, D2X), and have used and tested them extensively.

If you count pixels only, and realise that the rectangular pixels of D1X need to be rearranged to give the proper aspect ratio and in the process you get 10.5 MPix , D70 at "mere" 6 MPix should be left far in the dust. This is not the case. Its image quality is on the same level as D1X and some times even better, but for other subjects, a little below D1X. D70 has much better high-ISO and long-term exposure performance than D1X, and superior battery life.

In terms of build quality, better viewfinder, and sheer features D1X wins hands down over D70.

Since D1X (using Nikon Capture or Bibble, or almost any recent raw converter) outputs 10.5 MPix, you might think it was not very different from the 12.2 MPix of D2X. Wrong again: the image quality of D2X absolutely blows the D1X away.

Many people allude to the special "quality" of the D1X image and I for one always wondered about this. I think the slight "grittiness" originating from the pixel re-arranging on D1X can be taken for "special", but not endearing such as the silky smoothness of a well-exposed D2X image.

My conclusions after assessing the qualities of these cameras led to the following practical outcome:

1. I kept my D1X (it has such a nice serial no 5100510 :smile:, also it was the first D1X to be sold in Norway) and let my brother borrow it "permanently" to keep it in the family as it were.
    2. I purchased two D70 bodies, kept one for UV photography and for travelling light, the other was modified to be an IR camera.
    3. I purchased two D2X and sold my D2H , since I rapidly found out that the combination D2X + D2H didn't work well for me.

4. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Image quality alone . . . . hmmm, thats a tough question and VERY subjective. I dont know whether you'll find an answer until you have tried them (aka hired and tried one each and if your gonna dish out big dough, definately try before you buy if yuo can)

Me ? I have owned the D1X (and sold reluctantly) , D2H (sold not so reluctantly) and currently use a D2X

Without going into long explanations on what I like about each camera, I would say the D1X does a certain "look" to it's images - probably the most contrasty of the 3 mentioned. The D2H had popy colour but just didnt cut it for me re: DR (but loved small file sizes). The DX2 just makes the DR that I need but has 20Mb NEF files, but does provide the most realistic colour of all 3.

All 3 have impeccable builds and quality ++ re: ergonomics.

My winner is the D2X so far - but is at least twice the price of the others.

Btw: Something that you should factor in here is glassware - no matter how good the body, if you have poor glass, then you'll get poor outcomes to your efforts.

Personally, I'm a Nikkor snob and stick to AFS and VR - even so, I still get some variance in colour and hue on each of my lenses. They have certain personalities and I know them - it's not a body issue.

I've been honest here too - hope this helps !

5. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Thanks very much to all for the replies. You have helped me a great deal. :smile: