1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Image size problem within attachment

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by Howard 6238, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Howard 6238

Howard 6238

Oct 26, 2007
    Carlisle UK
    I cannot believe that I have another problem with such an easy ssue as re-sizing an image within CS4 for e-mail purposes.

The recipent requires a low res image of 72dpi, approx 8" x 6" and saved as a jpg to give a file size of 200-400k.

When I resize an image to such standard, the file size is shown as 666k.
    Once I 'save as' then attach to an e-mail, the file size suddenly becomes 91K.
    Can someone please explain to me how that can happen?

Thanks

Howard

2. What operating system? Windows or OS X or Linux?

3. Howard 6238

Howard 6238

Oct 26, 2007
    Carlisle UK
    I use Windows.

Howard

4. The 666k you see is the expanded file size and the jpeg compression is giving you the 91k. You can increase the quality setting which will give less compression (larger number) and hence a larger file size.
    Or if you are at the maximum quality already the size is a reflection of the data and that is what you have!! (that means that it easily compressed image data).

5. Howard 6238

Howard 6238

Oct 26, 2007
    Carlisle UK
    Once again, thank you Geoff for your response.

In order to eventually send the e-mail, I did actually increase the file size just as you detail, and that left me with a jpeg file size of 150k. Right or wrong, I sent the message and it appears to have worked as I haven't received a request to up the size even further.

Regards

Howard

6. Thanks Howard for reporting your results!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.