Image sizing to print... PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taat2d, Oct 2, 2008.

1. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    I need help. I'm trying to crop an image so I can make an 8x10in print. When i set the crop tool to 8x10 half of th eimage is getting cut off. Is there a way to resize the image so I get the exact print size I want?

2. Joe,

What software are you using? We can't help without more info.

3. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    I am using CS3. Thanx for any help.

4. Joe,

Using the crop tool you are saying that you want to remove part of the image not in the crop area and you want to resize the image to the size you have chosen. Remember that when using the crop tool you must keep the ratio correct. For 8x10 you 8 inches wide and 10 inches tall (vertical) if you want horizontal you need 10x8. After you make your selection in the crop tool (click, drag, and release), you can make adjustments by dragging the corners until you have the size correct. You can also move the entire selected area around by holding down the mouse button inside the crop area and moving it around.

however, you may not need the crop tool at all. If you are looking to make the image as close to 8x10 as possible just use the "image size" option in the image menu.

I hope this helps.

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    How about making a template and then fitting the image within the box of your template. Send me your image and I'll show you what I mean.

6. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    Also when you shoot pics, I usually try to leave a "Little" Room for cropping..

7. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Thanx for the help everyone. Seneca I'll get the image to you so you can show me. Thanx.

8. Joe:

If I read your post correctly, it seems to me that you're disappointed that you have to cut off a significant part of your image in order to crop it to a standard 8x10.

That's just a fact of life because, most likely, your original image aspect ratio is three units on the long side and two units on the short side. Said another way, you might have an image that is 3000 pixels by 2000 pixels to start with.

If you size the image so that the short side would print at 8 inches, the long side would naturally be 12 inches if you preserved all of the image. You could either print on 8x12 paper and literally cut off 2 inches to make an 8x10 or you can use the crop tool in CS3 to achieve the same effect and then print on 8x10 paper. But there's no way you can cram ALL the original picture into an 8x10 format without distortion.

In other words, your camera takes a "rectangular" picture and you're trying to print something that is much closer to a "square".

If you're willing to distort things, you COULD shrink the long side, but that would make the perspective look all goofy.

Good news. CS4 is just around the corner and it has a fantastic feature where you can squeeze or stretch the background while leaving the subject undistorted. That way you can eat your cake and have it too. Until then, you'll have to throw away part of the image you originally captured.

9. Is it a portrait or landscape crop? has you set the printer to be the same, portrait or landscape?

Do not ask me why I suggested this...:frown:

10. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Your problem is that you are using the crop tool - you cannot use the crop tool for this. When you tell the crop tool you want an 8x10, it cuts out an 8x10, an ABSOLUTE 8x10 that is .... which is not what you want.

You want to grab the Marquee tool (hit "m" on your keyboard). Up at the top of photoshop, change the tool from "normal" mode to "aspect ratio" and type in 8 and 10 in the corresponding boxes for length and height - dependent of course on whether or not your image is in portrait are landscape orientation.

Now drag a marquee box to the correct size and location you want on your image (notice how the box always retains a perfect 4:5 aspect ratio).

once you have selected the final area you want to print, go to "Image" -> "Crop" (or is it "Edit" -> "Crop"?) in the PS menu.

Done - now you have an 8x10.

11. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    That's not what he's saying. By using the crop tool and selecting an 8x10, it presizes the selection box to exactly 8" by 10". If he's doing this as 240PPI resolution, it will be selecting a rather small portion of his image. This isn't simply cutting off one edge, he mentions cutting off half the picture.

12. No, if he has the crop tool set to 8x10 but leaves the resolution box empty, it will resize the image to 8x10 and adjusting the resolution automatically to suit.

Bob is completely right, he has a 3:2 image and trying to do 5:4 crop/

If he wanted an 8 inch short edge his long would need to be 12 inches. Or he can do a 10x8 and lose 2 inches from the height.

I always shoot with enough room to crop to 5:4 aspect ratio

13. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    When you lose the 2 inches off one end of a photo, that's not, and lets quote the OP here, "Losing half the image".

Telling the crop tool you want an 8x10 creates a pre-sized selection box 8x10 inches in size. But that will not cover the full length of any 1 side of your image if your image is a 240PPI image from 10 or 12MP camera.

You need to create a 4:5 ratio selection box, drag it to the area you want, and then crop it.

14. Billy, load Photoshop, select the crop tool, set it to 8" and 10" but make sure the resolution box is EMPTY, when you do this crop, it will set the edges to 8x10, and then it will adjust the resolution to whatever is needed.

15. That's the way I've always done it. Works with no problem.

16. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    You keep saying this in response to the (correct) advice others are giving, but it only applies if you do something that they are explicitly saying not to do. In fact, I'm not really sure how to get the behavior you describe, because CS3 will not do what you claim, regardless of whether I fill in the DPI box with any number or leave it blank. If you leave DPI blank, then it cuts in the specified ratio. If you fill it in, it does that and then resamples the image to the specified resolution. The one thing it won't do is give a fixed-size selection box.

I'm just mystified as to what you're talking about here.

17. I actually don't know what software does do it, as I know photoshop doesnt, Capture NX doesn't, lightroom doesn't