Image stability, what activates it?

Last edited:
Starting from D800, I believe, either the AF-ON button or the shutter will activate VR. Steve Perry confirms it in is BB focusing video.

Worked with my D810, works with my d850 and Z6. In the Z6 you can also add it to a custom key.

Last edited:
Irritating action on my Z7, seems that when a stabilized lens and ftz mount are used the lens VR is always hunting. Not a function of half press of the shutter button. Just carrying it around it is using battery so I need to remember to either turn off the camera or turn off VR on the lens while walking around.

From what I can find out, this is by design. Or am I missing something?

Do you mean in the camera or on the lens.
However after deep and serious thought I could only come to one conclusion, and that is when the photographer switches on the camera.

View attachment 1653445
In the lens.

I have IBIS in several bodies across a few manufacturers, and the recommendation for one of them for birding is turn IBIS off, and just use the lens stabiliser.

From what you're saying the lens stabiliser and/or IBIS are on continuous for Nikon bodies?

On an F-mount Nikon lens with VR the lens switch will control IBIS (that is, send power to the IBIS unit; it is still activated by shutter or BB.
On S lenses, with no VR, the camera will do this.

I read somewhere about the interaction between VR equipped lenses and the Z series IBIS making for better stabilization. Can't seem to find it now.

Starting from D800, I believe, either the AF-ON button or the shutter will activate VR. Steve Perry confirms it in is BB focusing video.

Worked with my D810, works with my d850 and Z6. In the Z6 you can also add it to a custom key.
Your comment is in line with my thoughts on how it operated.

I should add some clarity to my original question.

I don't use BBF, however I do get asked by quite a few birders why I don't start using it. My main response is I've been using AF cameras the same way since the film days.
What has rekindled the conversation is our current conditions here in Australia. The smoke from the bush fires is reducing the ambient light by a considerable amount. I was out birding with another photographer over the weekend, and he was surprised with the results I got in the low light. The difference between us on the day, he was using BBF, and continuous high speed. I was using standard 1/2 press to focus, wait a few milliseconds for the lens stabilisation to settle, then take a single photo.

Using the Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 at 500mm, with a D500, I was getting reasonable images down to 1/80s hand held.

Irritating action on my Z7, seems that when a stabilized lens and ftz mount are used the lens VR is always hunting. Not a function of half press of the shutter button. Just carrying it around it is using battery so I need to remember to either turn off the camera or turn off VR on the lens while walking around.

From what I can find out, this is by design. Or am I missing something?
I also have a Z7, but haven't used it for birding. I've tried the Z7 once with the FTZ adapter and macro lens. I wasn't too impressed with the focusing on small subjects. I'm not sure if Nikon have the ability to use dual stabilisation (IBIS and VR) like other manufactures do, particularly when used with the FTZ adapter.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom