Image Stabilization for old Nikkors

My olympus e-620 just got delivered, It is an amazing little camera. It meters all my nikon manual focus lenses on it and I get free IS. I am shooting with the voigtlander Nokton 58mm F1.4 at 1/10 second handheld and getting sharp pictures..unbelievable.

Free IS for old Nikkors - can it get any better than this?

I wish my Nikon bodies had in body image stabilization

I thought about this option for a while... 2X crop is a bit undesirable for everything except super telephoto work. Not to mention the teenie tiny viewfinder.

Would love to have a 4/3 camera for my 500mm f/4 tho. :biggrin:

I thought about this option for a while... 2X crop is a bit undesirable for everything except super telephoto work. Not to mention the teenie tiny viewfinder.

I don't mind the 2x crop format at all. Yes the VF is small but the articulating LCD and great Liveview more than makes up for this. It is going to be my carry always camera with a couple of primes (including the 8mm fish I just ordered). For everything else, I have my Nikons.

I just love the fact that this tiny gem meters and provides IS with my old nikkors...something that the smaller Nikon bodies lack.

I just love the fact that this tiny gem meters and provides IS with my old nikkors...something that the smaller Nikon bodies lack.
Yeah, I don't understand why Nikon intentionally cripples their lower end bodies by not incorporating the "non-cpu data" feature

all my lenses can be stabilized better than any optical VR or IS system simply by deploying my Gitzo.

I woulndn't be confused about nikon not offering non-cpu lens intergration on entry level cameras, maybe a little annoyed if anything. Its just not part of the usage profile of the product and they are keeping it simple on those cameras so light users don't hurt themselves. looking at the industry, I'm happy that I can even mount those 30 year old lenses on my modern camera.

all my lenses can be stabilized better than any optical VR or IS system simply by deploying my Gitzo.

I woulndn't be confused about nikon not offering non-cpu lens intergration on entry level cameras, maybe a little annoyed if anything. Its just not part of the usage profile of the product and they are keeping it simple on those cameras so light users don't hurt themselves. looking at the industry, I'm happy that I can even mount those 30 year old lenses on my modern camera.
Actually a lot, and I mean a lot of users of the lower end bodies would love to have non-cpu data feature, because a lot of them are on a very tight budget and older Nikkors can usually be had for under $250. You can literally get 4 solid primes for under $400 28mm F/3.5 ($50) 35mm F/2.0 ($50) 50mm F/1.4 ($150) and 105mm F/2.5 ($150) not to mention that Nikon does not offer the equivalent primes with AF-S , and AF-D primes won't autofocus with lower end bodies.

The feature can be buried deep in the menus if you want, that way it will not disturb users who don't need it, but users who know about Ai & AI-S will kow where to find it.

My olympus e-620 just got delivered, It is an amazing little camera. It meters all my nikon manual focus lenses on it and I get free IS. I am shooting with the voigtlander Nokton 58mm F1.4 at 1/10 second handheld and getting sharp pictures..unbelievable.

Tell me more about this. The Oly e-620 is an F mount camera? Do you need any adpaters? I'm interested.

Post pic's please and of the camera with the lens on it if you would not mind.

Novoflex makes a Nikon to 4/3 adapter. It even allows you to use the G lenses.

I find very interesting that you can use your old Nikkor lenses on the Olympus body. Do you need an adapter?
I agree with Joe that a tripod is a great stabilizer although at times it is inconvenient to use. Here in Miami, at many public parks, I can shoot all day with a $5000 camera without problems but as soon as I pull a flimsy tripod out I have a security person by my side to tell me that professionals are not allowed to shoot!!
I have no experience with in camera image stabilization. It does work very well with lenses.
I will not comment on Nikon bodies that do not meter with old lenses. Like God, Nikon works in strange ways.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Actually a lot, and I mean a lot of users of the lower end bodies would love to have non-cpu data feature, because a lot of them are on a very tight budget and older Nikkors can usually be had for under $250. You can literally get 4 solid primes for under $400 28mm F/3.5 ($50) 35mm F/2.0 ($50) 50mm F/1.4 ($150) and 105mm F/2.5 ($150) not to mention that Nikon does not offer the equivalent primes with AF-S , and AF-D primes won't autofocus with lower end bodies.

The feature can be buried deep in the menus if you want, that way it will not disturb users who don't need it, but users who know about Ai & AI-S will kow where to find it.
still is obviously not what the camera is intended to do. the entry level cameras don't even support autofocus for older lenses still in production. These cameras are designed for entry level users who will mostly use the kit lens or a maybe one other zoom lens. I don't believe in deliberately burying things in the menu, it bad enough when its not deliberate. the large number of users trying to use those old lenses are still very few in comparison to how many D40, D60, D5000 ..... Nikon has sold. Looking at people who are into finding and using old or unique optics, I would expect to see that a vast majority of them are using camera bodies from the upper half of the lineup. For those that are still stuck in a bind, doesn't the camera still let them take pictures with those old optics?

still is obviously not what the camera is intended to do. the entry level cameras don't even support autofocus for older lenses still in production. These cameras are designed for entry level users who will mostly use the kit lens or a maybe one other zoom lens. I don't believe in deliberately burying things in the menu, it bad enough when its not deliberate. the large number of users trying to use those old lenses are still very few in comparison to how many D40, D60, D5000 ..... Nikon has sold. Looking at people who are into finding and using old or unique optics, I would expect to see that a vast majority of them are using camera bodies from the upper half of the lineup. For those that are still stuck in a bind, doesn't the camera still let them take pictures with those old optics?
Well, you're contradicting yourself. If you're implying that lower end cameras are for people who only like "AUTO" or "Set it and Forget it" then the "Non-Cpu Lens data" would be right up their alley.

Also, it's usually not good practice to generalize, from my experience, I've seen mainly kids between 18- 24 yrs old, using the D40, D60, D40x. They don't have the funds to shell out for a 105mm DC at $1k but they can scrape enough pennies for a 105mm F/2.5 AI-S .

Finally, if you were to ask the average owner of a low end Nikon camera, "would you like an unobtrusive menu option that will allow you to use older Nikkor AI-S lenses ?" I would venture to say that the "YES" answer would be well north of 50%

Tell me more about this. The Oly e-620 is an F mount camera? Do you need any adpaters? I'm interested.
You need a cheap adapter like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Fotodiox-Nikon-lens-to-Olympus-OM-4-3-mount-adapter_W0QQitemZ360184200768QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item53dca6be40

If you need focus confirm, then you would need something like (fitted with Dandelion)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120483599676&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

You can use any Nikkor that has a aperture ring (non G type). You would use manual mode or aperture priority mode with stop down metering (no button etc, needed).

The viewfinder is small but very usable. The live view is awesome.

I find very interesting that you can use your old Nikkor lenses on the Olympus body. Do you need an adapter?
I agree with Joe that a tripod is a great stabilizer although at times it is inconvenient to use. Here in Miami, at many public parks, I can shoot all day with a $5000 camera without problems but as soon as I pull a flimsy tripod out I have a security person by my side to tell me that professionals are not allowed to shoot!!
I have no experience with in camera image stabilization. It does work very well with lenses.
I will not comment on Nikon bodies that do not meter with old lenses. Like God, Nikon works in strange ways.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.
I replied to your PM.

Whoa, that'a a pretty spendy adpater. I've done some googling and it looks like you can get adapter that cost about $30 to several hundred dollars. Is there a difference and will these adapters degrade the image like a telecoverter? Lots to learn here.
I use the fotodiox adapters from ebay. I found them to be sufficient for my needs. I posted a link above.

Smodak

do you have any images you can post? I recently acquired a 300mm F/4.5 AI-S which is super sharp wide open, now I'm thinking that the E-620 + Adapter will be a fantastic combo, and cheaper than a non-existent 300mm F/4 AF-S VR

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom