Images from my first session (processed)

While I know that I need LOTS of practice...I think I'm getting the hang of CS4 processing. I only have about 4 tricks up my sleeve, so when all you have is a hammer....
Anyway...please feel free to critique these. I need the lessons those comments will bring.

#1 (My favorite, but did I overdo the skin?)
5659434897_4feb6dee92_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
[/url]
D7K_5186 by dmccardle, on Flickr[/IMG]

5659432955_cb8f047496_b.jpg

D7K_4793 by dmccardle, on Flickr

#3 (this is really a salvage job. None of these shots really worked, but she wants one anyway)
5660005204_e8270c4129_b.jpg
[/url]
D7K_4977 by dmccardle, on Flickr[/IMG]

5659434615_6ce2d31354_b.jpg
[/url]
D7K_5135 by dmccardle, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yes, the skin on #1 is over processed. Look at the difference between her face and her neck.

#4 is the best of them because the centerpiece of a portrait should be the eyes. In #1-3 the eyes are very dark and hard to see.

I think the posing and composition is quite good.

Yes, the skin on #1 is over processed. Look at the difference between her face and her neck.

#4 is the best of them because the centerpiece of a portrait should be the eyes. In #1-3 the eyes are very dark and hard to see.

I think the posing and composition is quite good.

I thought so. I'll re-do #1
Thanks for the comments.

She has a very winning smile. You'd be amazed how hard it is to find even professional models who can deliver so much of a positive attitude through their smile. You totally need to keep her to practice (and I bet she'd like that too considering your pictures!)

As for processing, you said you had just started, didn't you? Thats really decent I think. Also, I would not put too much weight on details as those are portraits and not fashion or beauty pictures where every detail matters. I will give you a quick rundown on what I would do if I had to edit them. Please keep in mind that while it seems like a lot, most likely I wouldn't do anything at all because I really like them the way they are.

In #1, the hand is way brighter than the rest of her. Her eyes are too dark and her skin is too blurry. Also, if you do skin, don't stop when done with the face, else it looks different than the rest. The hairs (I think) crossing her neck shouldn't be there, thats the first thing I noticed.

In #2, I would pull back vibrance or just green saturation in the background a little. Thats probably just me but I find the green a little strong. Again, if you do skin continue after the face. There is some loose thread hanging out of the sleeve next to her right elbow, that could be removed as well.

In #3 she is a little hunched, but you really can't do anything about that. I would clean up the cloud of wild hair on her forehead a little, thats all.

In #4, I would open her left eye a little more, remove the bright spot from her right earring and probably close the white gap on top of the picture.

Again, thats total nitpicking, you did a great job and she did as well! Gorgeous girl and I am sure she is more than happy with the pictures!

Real Name
Paul
She's definitely a cutie! Love number 4. With number 1, have you thought of a square crop? The fingers of her right hand peeking around the pillar look out of place to me. A square crop would still give you the environmental impact of the setting but put her at more of a focal point.

She's definitely a cutie! Love number 4. With number 1, have you thought of a square crop? The fingers of her right hand peeking around the pillar look out of place to me. A square crop would still give you the environmental impact of the setting but put her at more of a focal point.

I haven't. I have been thinking of removing them all together though. A square crop...hmm...

Very nice. Beautiful girl and awesome smile. I really like #1 and #4 but think all are good. Only changes I would make would be in #3, maybe go with a different outfit the color is really off. Burnt orange is just so very unflattering!

Gig 'em!

Very nice. Beautiful girl and awesome smile. I really like #1 and #4 but think all are good. Only changes I would make would be in #3, maybe go with a different outfit the color is really off. Burnt orange is just so very unflattering!

Gig 'em!

lol

they're all really great. Love the soft light in number 1, i think the postprocess was well done.

would love to see more from her.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom