IMatch and archived files

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by EdMac, Apr 13, 2007.

1. I am curious as to the best way to be able to track offline files using IMatch after you have archived them to a CD or DVD. I already know about usng the relocate command, but that only re-links the folder to CD/DVD drive name. My question is what happens after you have numerous CD/DVDs stored in a container and want to find a specific file. If you look at Match in the database view you see a folder name for relocated folders. Also if you move several folders to a specific CD you just see the individual folder names. How would you know that these folders have been copied to a single CD, and how are you able to identify that CD physically.
    I have come up with some workarounds that are labor intensive, but I am curious as to what the proper way to archive stuff offline is. In my case I am dealing with about 200 DVD/CDs of archived files, and need to be able to rapidly get to the files. I would expect that archiving would be an important part of IMatch, but I don't really see much in the documentation.
    I look forward to seeing how others have handled this.

2. doobes

doobes

Aug 15, 2006
    Reston, VA
    Documentation, iMatch? Mario doesn't believe in documentation. Your best bet is to post this on the iMatch forum. Thank goodness for the forum, because without it I would have pitched iMatch LONG ago.

I don't have an answer for you as I don't currently do what you are doing, but the need to be able to do this is coming. My storage drive is nearly full and at some point I'm going to need to offload images. I've got all the images backed up on CD/DVD, but I've not done a catalog process like you are envisioning.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop.

3. IMatch

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for the nput. I thought that it was just me, but learning to use the product is a steep learning curve. In hs defense, it appears to be very stable, and powerful. Of course that is after you learn how to use it. I believe that being able to have a good library of archived files on DVD/CD is essential not only for backup but also to keep disk space under control. I have tried several other products, and they all are weak when it comes to archiving to DVD/CD. Thanks again.

4. Ed, Chris
    Anyother options for a program such as Imatch? I downloaded the trial version and played with it but was not able to devote the time that it would requrire to really understand it.
    I am approaching the 300GB level and really need to have a tool to help me catalog, index and archive all this stuff...
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated!

5. Photo Mechanic. Full featured 30 day download. Not cheap..$150 but very powerful, especially for screening. Can injest directly from CF cards, automatically write to two drives, has very flexible IPTC features. Try it for free for 3o days.

Rich

6. Other Programs

Hi
    My advice is to download some of the free trial packages and try them. I did that and came to the conclusion that IMatch was probably best for me.
    I tied IView, and had lots of problems when scanning my existing library of CD/DVDs.
    My goal was to find a program that would easily let me catalog all of the picture files on my multiple offline disks. I also wanted something that would allow me to offload files to DVD/CD and manage that offline library.
    I have a lttle over 200 CD/DVDs in my offline library, and I need to get to any file very rapdly. Imatch lets me do all of that, and it is fast and very stable so far.
    The biggest problem with IMatch is that it has an evolved user interface that is somewhat clunky, and not intuitive. Like any powerful database design it is only as good as you make it. The category tools allow you the user to create a virtual environment that is very powerful. Unfortunately the documentation is a little on the weak side.:smile:

7. Conrad,
    One more thing, make sure that when you burn your archive CD/DVD that you create a unique volume label for the Disk, and write that on the back of the disk. IMatch will record the volume label and you can display it under each of your thumbnails. In that way you can have a direct link to the physical CD/DVD that you have stored away. If you don't do that, you will have problems identifying which offline disk contains you files. I hope that this helps.:smile:

8. doobes

doobes

Aug 15, 2006
    Reston, VA
    Unfortunately, I don't have any alternatives that are better. I've (briefly) tried Lightroom, iView, and Potfolio. Each seems like they may have major plusses, but each is missing fundamental functionality that iMatch provides that I've gotten used to. There might be other ways to get there from here, but I haven't been motivated enough to make the time to find them.

This page gives a good rundown on what is available in the way of DAM software:

http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/flow-catalog-compare.html

There is a lot of information here, but I have no idea how current it is.

Good luck

chris

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2007