IMatch questions

I have been considering this app. But I would like to get some feed back from anyone that might use it.
I would like all the goods and the bads as well. I have both slides and Digital that I need to put into a database.

Thanks in advanced

N

nfoto

It is very quirky to say the least. On some of my PCs it runs very slow, on others fairly fast, but on all machines searching takes a loooong time. (the database seemingly doesn't use SQL, which may explain its low search speed). I have imported IPTC and EXIF data into my Imatch base, the program shows the data OK, but still I can't search these fields (all I get is an empty collection). Updating the program is an exercise in supreme paranoia, with stepwise updates each demanding secret passwords.

The plus sides are it's very stable, quite inexpensive, and you can do a lot of scripting with it. It has a nice slide show function as well, but no direct method for image previews (well, at least I haven't found any yet)

* edited to indicate: I found it, finally, but it's rather non-intuitive as with most features of this software.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bjørn

The scripting was part of the big plus. I will still need to print slide labels and do not want to use different packages if I don't have to.

I used it for years. It is extremely powerful, but quirky indeed. Written in objects Mario introduced the the concept of categories, an inverted hierarchial relational system when permits assigning characterisitcs to images on the fly. I understand ACDSee aped the idea some time ago, so it obviously has merit.

I encountered problems with lost indexes; you also have to go through agonizing steps to make copies of the database (the database is tied to the logical address of the hard drive). In a sense its power is in weakness. There is much you can do with; but you have to have matching expertise.

An additional annoyance is its truly bizzare password protection system. For a product which (as I recall) costs around $50.00 you have to employ a complex password to download the core file; then another complex password to install it. Many of the complaints on the support site on Yahoo were over the elaborate password protection. It's as though they are very paranoid about copyright enfringement.

There was, for about two years, a vocally loyal corps of supporters on DPReview which is now dormant. I finally went back to Thumbsplus; the need for constantly baby-sitting the database and struggling through password hurdles with every maintenance release became onerous.

Now that Qimage and Thumbsplus both work with IPTC fields, I'd rather keep the metadata about the images with each individual image.

In summary it is a very sophisticated and powerful product, but required too much overhead for me.

Rich

Rich,

I could not find anything on the Qimage stie about printing Slide labels. Could you tell me if that is an option in Qimage?

TR_Fox said:
Rich,

I could not find anything on the Qimage stie about printing Slide labels. Could you tell me if that is an option in Qimage?

Yes, if I understand your question correctly, you select the images you wish to print then select "edit page". Qimage then brings up the image(s) in a window on the left of the screen. You click anywhere in that area with your right (left for lefties) mouse button and a window opens; at the bottom as an option "A add floating text text string. Click on the selection and a plus sgn appears. Anchor it anywhere and a "floating text proerties" box opens. Work your way through the options. What makes Qimage so very powerful is the ability to imbed IPTC feilds as part of the text.

Thus on a vacation you can select all the images and globally add "2005 Vacation in the Bahamas" to all those pictures. Later if you pick that field, the text string will appear adjacent to every picture.

I hope this is what you wanted.

Rich

Rich,

thanks for the Info. But I think you missed what I am after. I still am old school on some asignment work. I need to be able to print 35mm slide labels. Yes there are still some of us out here that just can't or won't let go of the old ways :frown:

I am looking for one package that will do both digital and slides. I am having an issue with using two just seem like there should be a better way to do it.
:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom